Councillor Russell B Hamilton to resign from midnight tonight

megilleland

From the Hereford Times today:

Councillor Russell B Hamilton to resign from midnight tonight

4:42pm Monday 30th September 2013 in News By Bill Tanner

THE councillor with the county’s future in his hands has called it quits – with immediate effect.

Herefordshire Council has just confirmed that Councillor Russell B Hamilton, cabinet member for environment, housing and planning, will resign as both a cabinet member and ward councillor from midnight tonight.

Rumours of Coun Hamilton’s decision started circulating the council’s Brockington HQ last Friday.

In his cabinet role, Coun Hamilton was responsible for the council’s core strategy plan dictating development patterns - including house and road building -  in the county up to 2031.

That plan pitches 16,500 new homes, a western bypass for Hereford, and around 148 hectares of land being opened up for business expansion.

Council leader Councillor Tony Johnson said he was “saddened†at Coun Hamilton’s decision.

“He is without doubt the hardest working councillor serving at present.  I think it is unlikely that the people of Herefordshire will ever understand the difference he has made for them over the past few years.

“At a personal level he has been a great friend not just to me but to the officers with whom he has worked.  His dedication and friendship will be missed,†said Coun Johnson.

Plans are already being drawn up for a by-election in Pontrilas.

Herefordshire Council

ELECTION OF A COUNCILLOR FOR THE PONTRILAS WARD

Thursday 5th May 2011

HAMILTON, RUSSELL BRUCE 728 (Elected)

Local Conservatives

GODDING, ELAINE CHRISTINE 515

Independent

PETER JOHN 337

It's OUR County (Herefordshire)

We need to just put up one independent and its in the bag. More than that just splits the vote.

Russell B Hamilton claims “self-serving, ill directed and frankly appalling†behaviour of other members convinced him to go

2:04pm Tuesday 1st October 2013 in News By Bill Tanner

THE councillor with the county’s future in his hands has called it quits - with immediate effect - claiming the “self-serving, ill directed and frankly appalling†behaviour of other members convinced him to go.

Councillor Russell B Hamilton resigns today as ward member for Pontrilas and cabinet member for environment, housing and planning, saying: “Those remaining should not have their reputations damaged by those that, in my view, are not fit to hold office,â€

In an extensive resignation letter seen by the Hereford Times, Coun Hamilton singles out “the same small group of offenders†for everything from unsubstantiated allegations to “aggressive, rude and gutter level†remarks.

Those same members, said Coun Hamilton, have a reputation for treating council staff in a “disrespectful and bullying†way .

“I believe that in Herefordshire the group of councillors who are the subject of my concerns are unable to have an open and balanced discussion. Their starting point is always that you are wrong because you are part of the administration - in my view they are simply wreckers,†he said.

Other issues raised in the letter include the “lack of reality†amongst some councillors over the council’s financial position and the inability of the existing standards process to deal with improper behaviour by members.

“Councillors must set an example for their communities and for council staff alike. Sadly, however, the offenders continually try to appear as if they have the moral high ground and, in my opinion, consistently demonstrate a different set of standards, values, ethics and interpretation of what it means to maintain high standards and dignity towards others,†said Coun Hamilton.

“For me to continue in a system with some people who, in my opinion, are not worthy to hold public office and that does not have a standards regime that has the ability to deal with improper conduct is impossible,†he said.

In stepping down, Coun Hamilton hoped his decision would start debate on what it means to be an elected representative.

“It is clear to me that, for the most part, the majority of people understand the real issues and challenges, are frustrated by the time it takes to get things done and want the council to get on and address them,†he said.

Elected to the council just over two years ago, Coun Hamilton, in his cabinet role, had the primary responsibility for the council’s core strategy plan dictating development patterns - including house and road building - in the county up to 2031.

That plan pitches 16,500 new homes, a western bypass for Hereford, and around 148 hectares of land being opened up for business expansion.

Council leader Councillor Tony Johnson said he was “saddened†at Coun Hamilton’s decision.

“He is without doubt the hardest working councillor serving at present. I think it is unlikely that the people of Herefordshire will ever understand the difference he has made for them over the past few years.

“At a personal level he has been a great friend not just to me but to the officers with whom he has worked. His dedication and friendship will be missed,†said Coun Johnson.

Plans are already being drawn up for a by-election in Pontrilas with another by-election due in Tupsley after the recent resignation of Councillor Alex Hempton-Smith.

I witnessed a similar out burst by the Leader Cllr Johnson at the meeting on the 19th . When he shouted at another Councillor 'you speak because I allow you to speak!' I've never seen anything so ridiculous it made a total farce of the entire proceedings. Do you know Cllr Powell who Cllr Hamilton is referencing in his comments, when he states appalling behaviour by other members caused his resignation?

How his resignation letter to the HT is written I think mostly at the Conservatives he had a very big row with two of them last week, he then attended the meeting I was at and his attacked was against an IOC member which caused me to say "his coments were out of order" that said at the same meeting Cllr Graham Powell had a go at two Independents I was one of them this was because all three of us spoke about the lack of bungalows being built for our elder population. I do know he particularly did not like IOC members, but any member that did not agree with what he was saying was fair game to be attacked.

I also believe Cllr Graham Powell had a go at the Independents because he did not like the letter that was in the HT a couple of weeks ago from us! and they probably won't like what I have sent to the HT for this week.

Except, of course, that he hasn't outed anyone - no names named - its not even clear if its his own party or opposition members, or both. What he has done is blown open the whole corrupt cabal that we all knew was running the show and now, with 2 by-elections scheduled, the balance of power can and should swing away from the tories. Looking at megilleland's link further up the page, there are many more revelations to come. With more and more people leaving the Council, its inevitable that beans will be spilled ...

A "Core Strategy Challenge Group" has been initiated, pointing out the serious flaws in the consultation process. You can find more about this group on Facebook and Twitter.  Please sign this new 38degrees petition

"We have now set up a petition on 38 Degrees calling on Tony Johnson, Leader of Herefordshire Council, to immediately halt the ill-fated Core Strategy Process and consult with us properly to sort out the mess his Planning department have got us all into.

This petition is really taking off but we need more signatures and we need them quickly. Reporting on the issue will be coming out tomorrow and we need the petition to back this up and keep the pressure building.

Please sign the petition and ask your friends to as well. Really just takes a couple of minutes and it's really important for the future of Bromyard and of Herefordshire."

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/challenge-herefordshire-core-strategy

Russell Hamilton GAVE AWAY valuable land with his portfolio as housing, environment and planning cabinet member. The green open space he gave away for housing in Newton Farm was valued at beteen £25,000 to £30,000. The diocese on the other had wasn't so stupid as to give the St Francis Church site away.

Russell Hamilton GAVE AWAY valuable land with his portfolio as housing, environment and planning cabinet member. The green open space he gave away for housing in Newton Farm was valued at beteen £25,000 to £30,000. The diocese on the other had wasn't so stupid as to give the St Francis Church site away.

Was this the Vortex passed to Herefordshire Housing for nothing.

Remember in 2002 Hereford Council passed over numerous parcels of land to Herefordshire Housing who now see these as potential building sites, removing open green spaces for local residents and their children to enjoy. Here is the list transferred for nought.

0iwo.jpg

You have been given an extensive list above of land that has been given away by Herefordshire Council, in the last two and half years Mr Hamilton was responsible for GIVING LAND AWAY for housing the last being the green open space known as the Vortex site in Newton Farm, there was a monitory value on that piece of land of between £25,000 to £30,000.

Glenda, could it be possible that your recollection of facts are not the same as the rest of us? You know well that former Cllr Hamilton was referring to councillors who are not in the Lib Dems, Conservative,Labour Parties or Independents in most cases! Bullying comes in many forms and is an hourly occurrence on this and similar web sites. Some of us are strong enough to resist it, others give in and either join in or roll over a and submit.

If someone is not prepared to reveal thier true name and contact details, when they make accusations about councillors or council officers or other organisations on this site, I would assume they are a bully and all bullys are cowards. Perhaps you need to decide where you stand on these matters?

Land has not been given away, some land is being given over for social housing that wil be infinitely better than now. The Belmont Country Park, that Cllr Phill Edwards set up, more than compensates for any loss of land in the immediate area where the new housing is to go. I refer you to the housing, land etc that was transferred over to Hereford Housing, on behalf of Herefordshire Council for the people of Herefordshire some years ago.

That's right the land was transferred not sold to Hereford Housing. However HH tried to put 50 houses on Argyll Rise, but following the efforts of local residents and two public inquiries this was prevented. So the residents and chidren who have enjoyed the green open spaces on Herefordshire estates should just climb on the top of the garage roofs while the land is dug up for more housing and cars. If you want to stimulate some growth why not get some of the local eyesores and tatty car parks in the city developed. Why build more houses with gardens - very few people look after them and keep them tidy. Usually they park their car in the front garden. 

I recollect only to well that in 2002 all housing and the land they stood on was transferred to Herefordshire Housing, in stock transfer I was vice chair of the group at the time. The Belmont Country park when handed over from Persimmon will belong to the council. What would you call it then when in your words land have been given over to house building when it is green open space. The St Francis church and land was not given away it cost Herefordshire Housing many £000's to buy it.

I do not understand what you are getting at in regard to the councillors who Mr Hamilton was referring to I know who he liked and didn't like so maybe you would like to explain what you are saying. In regard to bullying there are many who think if you do not agree with their way of thinking they can try to bully you into submission, unfortunately that tatic has been tried on me and it failed miserably. You know the financial state this council is in, common sense which seems to be lacking in some quarters would tell you that when a piece of land has a monitory value you don't give it away.

Since you have joined this website you have tried several times to put me down it hasn't worked, and it never will so you are wasting your time trying!

A lot of the open space mentioned in the above notice is shown as safeguarded open space on the old UDP and remains in force today.

"The Herefordshire Unitary Development Plan (UDP) was adopted on 23 March 2007 and guides development within the county until the adoption of the Local Plan - Core Strategy. The UDP ensures consistency with Government Planning Statements, the Regional Spatial Strategy and the Community Strategy for Herefordshire.

The UDP has the status of a Development Plan Document. It is operative as part of the Local Development Framework and most of its policies have now been 'saved' until they are superseded by other emerging Development Plan Documents in the Local Plan. The notice of adoption was published on 4 April 2007".

That is until the land deals are arranged behind closed doors and the policies altered to suit the needs.

Chris, The last time you and I exchanged pleasantries Im certain I congratulated you for bearing your teeth and responding forcefully to an argument. I liked your teeth and because Id seen them and I liked them, I chose to tell you that I liked your teeth so that you'd feel welcome and get a boost from knowing that your dentures were appreciated by me.

But now, because of your comment, branding people like me as bully's and cowards, I now no longer like your teeth because you've sunk them into me, suggesting that because I and others use a blogging handle we must be bully's and cowards. You'll not be surprised that I don't like this comment and I now no longer like your teeth.

Tread carefully Christopher. Don't go to war when you've no idea of the outcome. Im no bully and Im certainly no coward and neither are all the other bloggers who have used a blogging handle for a number of years. There is a huge difference between bullying and lampooning and I choose to believe that by lampooning political figures it helps deliver democratic values to the people of our Country who, moreoften than not, sit back, stay silent and let you all get on with it.

You put your guns away Chris. Put them back in your holster and keep your powder dry for when its really necessary to go to war. Leave behind the old New Labour ways of branding opposition as bully's, bigots and stupid people and simply be nice.

Finally, you know the rules. I've told you the rules. You leave Councillor Glenda Powell alone. Now, Im going to leave this issue behind and not give it a backward glance but if you choose again to call me a bully and a coward simply because of this exchange, Im going to come back and lampoon you and show you my teeth.

My very warmest regards Chris.

Glenda, could it be possible that your recollection of facts are not the same as the rest of us? You know well that former Cllr Hamilton was referring to councillors who are not in the Lib Dems, Conservative,Labour Parties or Independents in most cases! Bullying comes in many forms and is an hourly occurrence on this and similar web sites. Some of us are strong enough to resist it, others give in and either join in or roll over a and submit.

If someone is not prepared to reveal thier true name and contact details, when they make accusations about councillors or council officers or other organisations on this site, I would assume they are a bully and all bullys are cowards. Perhaps you need to decide where you stand on these matters?

Really? An hourly occurrence on this site? Can you give us examples please?