New Footpath Connecting Belmont Rd - Sydwall Rd

Colin James

The footpath is a project of Belmont Rural Parish Council and not a project of an individual parish councillor. This is to provide a solid surface for an informal route that has been used by many for many years. Lighting is not proposed. There has never been any lighting along this route. This is very much in the same line as the footpaths around Abbey View Park. If anyone wishes to comment - positively or otherwise - the correct contact for all Belmont Rural Parish Council correspondence is to belmontrural@yahoo.co.uk or you can write to Belmont Rural Parish Council, c/o 5 Deerhurst Drive, Belmont, Hereford HR2 7XX.

The footpath is a project of Belmont Rural Parish Council and not a project of an individual parish councillor. This is to provide a solid surface for an informal route that has been used by many for many years. Lighting is not proposed. There has never been any lighting along this route. This is very much in the same line as the footpaths around Abbey View Park. If anyone wishes to comment - positively or otherwise - the correct contact for all Belmont Rural Parish Council correspondence is to belmontrural@yahoo.co.uk or you can write to Belmont Rural Parish Council, c/o 5 Deerhurst Drive, Belmont, Hereford HR2 7XX.

I thought that you were the BRPC Clerk or has your job description changed to Councillor? Surely if we are not happy or want to air our views we would contact our ELECTED Councillors? I don't remember electing you to be fair.

Colin, as per usual you can guarantee that this will be a half hearted job and of course they are not going to give lights to a footpath that would be asking too much lol :Thumbs-Down:

I thought that you were the BRPC Clerk or has your job description changed to Councillor? Surely if we are not happy or want to air our views we would contact our ELECTED Councillors? I don't remember electing you to be fair.

Colin, as per usual you can guarantee that this will be a half hearted job and of course they are not going to give lights to a footpath that would be asking too much lol :Thumbs-Down:

I had the same thoughts exactly.

This area needs to be illuminated during the hours of darkness and LED light would be ideal as they do not pollute the surrounding homes only the footpath beneath.

There is no need to be offensive. I was merely pointing out that the Proper Officer of the Parish Council is the correct person for the receipt of correspondence addressed to the parish council. It is my job to ensure it is then brought to the attention of all parish councillors during a parish council meeting and their response can then be appropriately minuted. Decisions are never made by individual councillors, they are made by the council as a whole.

I had the same thoughts exactly.

This area needs to be illuminated during the hours of darkness and LED light would be ideal as they do not pollute the surrounding homes only the footpath beneath.

I couldn't agree more this pathway needs to have lights along it especially during the hours of darkness, although I do not like the Led lights.

I think that the LED lights are the way forward and they will save money in the long term, however, they could choose slightly brighter bulbs perhaps. Footpath is a good idea (as long as it is installed properly) but lights are a must!

I think that this is the finished product? Why have they not completed the path in tarmac?

I have just got back from a walk across here and I am absolutely covered in mud and grid.

The path installation is very poor in my opinion, a Councillor needs to have a look at this as it is not even level, it's all over the place, mud eveywhere, why did they not take the excess mud away? it's just been piled up on the side.

I have to concur with Mick, this new footpath is very poor and yes I think you will find that this is what Amey consider FINISHED. It looks incomplete to me, I took a few pictures you make up your own minds.
The picture on the left is during the works and the picture on the right, believe it or not but is the finished article, I took this 30 mins ago.
ba1.jpg

The people who own the garage in one of the pictures I would imagine will not be too happy as the mud has just been built up causing a slope away from the path but in the direction of their garage, I expect this to flood at some point...

grmud.jpg

As Mick has pointed out, why is it not tarmac? this is a horrible finish, this took them 3 days! hence why it looks that way. This joins the existing tarmac path, so looks incomplete.

tmbr.jpg

Why oh why don't jobs/projects get done properly?????

I was intriged by the above comments so I came to have a look for myself and yes Mick and Colin are correct, this is a half finished job and the standard of workmenship leaves a lot to be desired. My shoes are covered in this horrible pink grit, this path should be tarmac.

It is not level, why did they not level it out nice and flat first?

I spoke to a woman walking her dog and she was not impressed either, she also thought it was not not complete, I told her that I think this is completed and again her reaction was like the other people, that it should be tarmac.

Having read all the above comments I rang Cllr Edwards advising him of people comments, he has said ' the work is not completed yet, also the path WILL NOT be tarmaced or lights installed' The next parish council meeting is on the 13th September at the Northolme Centre at 7pm, may I suggest that you all go and speak your piece at that meeting, after all it is your parish precept money that has paid for the path!

To be fair, Councillor Edwards has just called on me and agree's that the standard of work on this footpath is not good. He has also pointed out that it is not complete. I have discussed several issues with him including dead posts and grass cutting and he has told me that sometimes up to 5 requests are submitted before things finally get done, which he say's from a Councillors point of view is very frustrating, he says that other Councillors also have the same problems in trying to get work done.

Clearly Amey need to improve their standards if they expect to win the Council's contract back!

• 7 months later...

To be fair, Councillor Edwards has just called on me and agree's that the standard of work on this footpath is not good. He has also pointed out that it is not complete. I have discussed several issues with him including dead posts and grass cutting and he has told me that sometimes up to 5 requests are submitted before things finally get done, which he say's from a Councillors point of view is very frustrating, he says that other Councillors also have the same problems in trying to get work done.

Clearly Amey need to improve their standards if they expect to win the Council's contract back!

As I thought, they NEVER did come back and again, so we were fobbed off yet again.

• 1 year later...

As a matter of interest I went back through the minutes of the BRPC meetings for 2012 and found at the meeting of 17. 5. 12.

minute 066/12 the clerk was asked to place an order for the work for footpath between Belmont road to Sydwall road with Amey at a cost of £6,788.

Are Parish Council's tied into the Council's contractor in the same way as the Council are? Surely not, and if not, were tenders sought for this work from other contractors, as I've no doubt that half a dozen reputable local firms could have done it better and cheaper (and would have still been around to deal with outstanding/defective items).