Weeds verging on the ridiculous

megilleland

I am fed up of hearing people blaming the government for everything. The council have the money, I know that my community charges have gone up and they managed to find the money to extend and upgrade the planning office in Blueschool Street  but can't find the money to kill weeds, yeah right. What do you mean it is no good moaning about it, go and remove them ourselves? You will be telling us next that we have to arrest the local burglars ourselves. 

You have a point Steve  :Thumbs-Up:

I agree that people could tidy up the pavement outside their own homes but undertaking work on road junctions is not possible as volunteers are not insured (or permitted by Balfour Beatty) to work on the Highway. I went out with little ones this weekend and there is a junction on Tower road where there is a lovely Buddleia which is now taller than the junction bollards! This can only be the Highway Authority responsibility, but whilst the Council have previously removed safe trees on roads in Hereford, they seem unable to remove trees growing wild out of the middle of a small bollard junction. The Council seem to have just found an extra £1million for Blueschool St so why are they unable to maintain our roads and pavements in a fit state? I used to be a proud Herefordian but I am now very embarrassed by the state of our once lovely City.

It would be a good idea if everyone kept the area outside their own house clean.

It seems those paid to do the job cannot even be bothered.

I took these pictures yesterday of a young girl with a dustcart going through town not even bothering to pickup any rubbish.

One of the reasons why is because she was on her phone.

post-918-0-74652900-1500968439_thumb.jpg

post-918-0-85222200-1500968440_thumb.jpg

post-918-0-77410000-1500968441_thumb.jpg

post-918-0-75110400-1500968442_thumb.jpg

post-918-0-36430100-1500968444_thumb.jpg

No point in moaning about it, please volunteer to get rid of the weeds in your patch.

Isn't that what we pay our Council Tax for? Why isn't the Council managing the contract effectively?

It's no use pleading poverty when we know there's money for £250k websites and massive overspends on Council building improvements.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems those paid to do the job cannot even be bothered.

I took these pictures yesterday of a young girl with a dustcart going through town not even bothering to pickup any rubbish.

One of the reasons why is because she was on her phone.

This topic is about weeds not high town litter. 

Could say the same about posts 2,8,18,19 & 22 but I ain't moaning

I am not moaning ragwort, and you have a valid point but I think we could easily stray away from this topic which is about weeds, trees and general lack of dealing with all the overgrowth in Hereford. You have highlighted another problem in our city LITTER! This also needs addressing but I think it warrants a topic and debate of it's own or would be better added to this one

I am not moaning ragwort, and you have a valid point but I think we could easily stray away from this topic which is about weeds, trees and general lack of dealing with all the overgrowth in Hereford. You have highlighted another problem in our city LITTER! This also needs addressing but I think it warrants a topic and debate of it's own or would be better added to this one

You could say that about this topic.

There are dozens of topics here that broadly are on about the same sort of problem but for some reason warrant yet another topic.

On 11/08/2017 at 15:52, twowheelsgood said:

Setting the standard - a fine welcome to the City for those arriving by bus. Rusty, dirty, leaning (and unnecessary) railings and a bumper crop of weeds. Classy.

IMG_20170811_152359770.thumb.jpg.8e53f096b70f41696815a24a5299b8d6.jpg

Yes mate, I took a photo ops these last week just forgot to upload it, also a beautiful photograph of the weeds growing out of the top of our medieval city walls, something we should be proud of not IGNORE!

Bus Station.jpg

IMG_20170811_152344780.thumb.jpg.c8abdf1f4d7a9b56959266f726c6d8fd.jpg

Hereford City Wall.jpg

Hereford City Walls 1.jpg

In Kingstone we have an excellent lengthsman who does his best with limited resources owing to the continual cut backs from Central Government.

Looking around it certainly does not look as neglected as the city and the outskirts.  We are also blessed with one lady in particular who has arranged with BB  to have bags dropped off for her and then when she has done her picking puts the bag(s) on top of a public bin for collection.  Prior to that there was also a couple who would do a lot of litter picking each week.

What we do have a serious problem with is mindless destruction in the Playing Field which is run by a charity and volunteers are responsible for its' upkeep. Then just one or two twits are determined to vandalise certain areas.  The latest destruction is to take four wheels off a train thing in the nursery play area.  This would have involved removing 10 nuts and bolts on each wheel and a vehicle would have been required to transport the wheels. Because of limited resources these wheels will not be replaced and the best we can hope for is that some very clever person can craft some wooden discs to make the "vehicle" look more respectable.  It is exceedingly soul destroying when people give of their time to try and make an area nicer and pleasant to live in when you get mindless bastards spoiling the good work.  Slightly off topic but still relevant to the downward spiral of the county.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Big clean up along Belmont Road removing weeds along roadside. I think it was done by The Hereford Community Clean Up Group. Really good effort. Puts the Council and BB to shame. Still must rush down and pay my £138.00 Council tax to keep the system ticking over for the favoured few.

1 hour ago, megilleland said:

Big clean up along Belmont Road removing weeds along roadside. I think it was done by The Hereford Community Clean Up Group. Really good effort. Puts the Council and BB to shame. Still must rush down and pay my £138.00 Council tax to keep the system ticking over for the favoured few.

Saw an S Joseph builders wagon by the City walls raking out the weeds this morning

Joseph's have been taking the weeds off the top of the wall and re-pointing some of the stonework just above the flower beds. Noticed that the black bags piled up by the Challenge Church following the Belmont Road clean up must number at least 40 bags. Lets see how long it takes BB to remove them, before someone starts kicking them down the street.

Glad they someone has listened to our complaints about our Historic City Walls, and now this clean up group is cleaning the railings along the Belmont Road and while this is a fantastic group doing brilliant things in out city, I do think we need to look at 'prevention rather than cure'. 

• 1 month later...

The contractor who supposedly mowed the verges on the A465 from the Lousy Oak to the roundabout should a) be made to make a better job b) not be paid until he has rectified the botched job and c) struck off

I think it was probably tidier when it was long and suspect the road further on from the Lousy Oak is of similar standard.  Oh and the person who signed this work off should also be struck off.

On 24/07/2017 at 12:18, Steve Major said:

Yes I agree, we were only looking outside some of the houses along Belmont Road over the weekend while driving past and had the same thoughts. I have noticed an old lady often sweeping up the leaves and rubbish outside her gate on many occasions, nice to see.

The same applies to when it snows. It is a myth to think you will be prosecuted it someone slips over. In most of Europe it is the law! Getting back to the weed/rubbish problem, if people cleaned outside their homes a lot of these problems would disappear.

• 1 year later...

2019 and no change. The root mass is still there. But now adjacent along side the chip shop. A nice collection of sycamore trees are growing. Nice and close to the foundation slab. 

Theres an added delight of a telephone pole with a gangster lean and the rotted back of the old bench propped up behind . Ironic what with the old keepmoat compound wall up with the word regeneration on it.

i sure love my annual council tax increase and the value it brings.

8F5FAE48-E683-480F-9445-64EBDA3ECA64.jpeg

DF250BC4-39DD-48CA-9487-F7854FF356CD.jpeg