Hereford FC and swearing

Bilbobobby

These weeks HT has a full page article about Hereford FC the minor problems they have had with some supporters and the great support they are getting from fans. The new chairman - Ken Kinnersley - has made a quite ridiculous comment 'We never want to stop swearing because that's part of football....'. I bet HT were rubbing their hands with glee when he said this

So to use the f word or even the c word to Edgar Street in front of children, women or any other person who has a modicum of decency is okay by him. No I'm taking the moral high ground and can/do swear on occasions.

Every youth football club and schools have a strict zero tolerance on abuse and have and will continue to challenge behaviour to ensure correct standards are set for our young people.

Players at all levels are given yellow cards or sent off for swearing, people are arrested for using foul language in the street, parents chastise their children and customers are banned from pubs for acting in a similar manner.

So perhaps Mr Kinnersley should actually reflect on what he has been quoted of saying and realise the damage this can cause for the reputation of the club as a supposed community asset for all to enjoy.

Debate.

BillB, I'm sure you are right lad but I can't bring myself to agree with you. I'm with the new Chairman on this. As a society we've become obsessed in sanitising just about everything just in case some poor soul takes offence and consequently we've allowed everything to drift to a point where it's all been taken away and legislated against to ensure we evolve into perfect human beings and never do or say anything wrong.

When I'm sat in the Merton stand, invariably freezing, because I feel the cold more than I once did, I actively encourage the use of profanity amongst my number. The ruder the better as far as I'm concerned! It's of no concern to me when the Linesman, the Ref or a member of the opposing team have their parenthood questioned, are invited to violate themselves and masturbate or instructed to clear off in the worst possible way, because the game, the match and our place in the stands is still one of the last places within our regimented society where you can be and act like you still are a working class person.

Try as they might, those that want the perfectly behaved crowd who gather in congregation at the mighty, legendary, history making, noise making, howling, screaming, earth shaking E.Street crowd, will never succeed in socially engineering the people to howl, 'you dirty rotten stinker', instead of good old working class straight to the point swearing like, 'You dirty fouling cheating F'ing Bastard'. Anything less, and diluted, just doesn't sound right as far as I'm concerned and so, I say, let the swearing continue and long may it be a part of my few hours spent watching the rise of Hereford Football Club.

I agree with Irena last year I had a little winge about the local football clubs swearing.  Houses back onto the playing field families out watching the football and people walking dogs hearing this kind of language on a lovely Saturday afternoon was not good.  The upshot of my winge I was  ridiculed and told playing football and swearing go hand in hand.   

I spent a fair portion of my youth freezing my feet on the cold, cold concrete of the Meadow End and I can honestly say hearing the older chaps berating the officials, opposition players, opposition fans and on occasion our own players, with rather fruity language didn't upset me one bit.  In fact, quite the opposite, myself and my mates used to howl with laughter at some of the better calls.  And I turned out alright-ish.

I stand with Bobby on this one, people can be a little over-sensitive these days.

I would agree though, in school and youth football it should not be tolerated at all.

I would suggest all should read the FA's code of conduct which has been signed up on by the club and Herefordshire FA. What this chairman is advocating is actually against the code he supports. Perhaps clarity is required with regards to what he actually meant with regards to 'swearing' and banter at football games.

BillB, I'm sure you are right lad but I can't bring myself to agree with you. I'm with the new Chairman on this. As a society we've become obsessed in sanitising just about everything just in case some poor soul takes offence and consequently we've allowed everything to drift to a point where it's all been taken away and legislated against to ensure we evolve into perfect human beings and never do or say anything wrong.

When I'm sat in the Merton stand, invariably freezing, because I feel the cold more than I once did, I actively encourage the use of profanity amongst my number. The ruder the better as far as I'm concerned! It's of no concern to me when the Linesman, the Ref or a member of the opposing team have their parenthood questioned, are invited to violate themselves and masturbate or instructed to clear off in the worst possible way, because the game, the match and our place in the stands is still one of the last places within our regimented society where you can be and act like you still are a working class person.

Try as they might, those that want the perfectly behaved crowd who gather in congregation at the mighty, legendary, history making, noise making, howling, screaming, earth shaking E.Street crowd, will never succeed in socially engineering the people to howl, 'you dirty rotten stinker', instead of good old working class straight to the point swearing like, 'You dirty fouling cheating F'ing Bastard'. Anything less, and diluted, just doesn't sound right as far as I'm concerned and so, I say, let the swearing continue and long may it be a part of my few hours spent watching the rise of Hereford Football Club.

You cannot have it both ways, it is either acceptable to hurl abuse or it is not, where do you draw the line? John Barnes suffered loads of racial abuse, now that is a big no no (anything to do with race has a massively over the top reaction in my view) but you appear to be condoning shouting 'You dirty fouling cheating F'ing Bastard' but put the word BLACK in front of the word F'ing and you are in deep trouble.

Swearing and shouting vile abuse these days at any public event is not acceptable to me.

You cannot have it both ways, it is either acceptable to hurl abuse or it is not, where do you draw the line? John Barnes suffered loads of racial abuse, now that is a big no no (anything to do with race has a massively over the top reaction in my view) but you appear to be condoning shouting 'You dirty fouling cheating F'ing Bastard' but put the word BLACK in front of the word F'ing and you are in deep trouble.

Swearing and shouting vile abuse these days at any public event is not acceptable to me.

I am with you on this one Alex

Alex, I'm not entirely sure I completely understand you, but whatever it is you've explained to me, Adrian seems to agree with you which, unsurprisingly, leads me to disagree with you both and here's why.

Any abuse, if it's tainted by a racist tone is not acceptable, and unlike you both, I do not think that our society has a 'massively over the top reaction'. I believe that our zero tolerance toward racial abuse is right, fully justified and not as you've implied massively over the top. Why on earth you've extrapolated my comment, had a think about it and then associated it with what I've said with the terrible times of our black sportsman is something I can't quite grasp. Why lad do you think that societies reaction to racism in sport is massively over the top?

Anyways, back to the profanities howled within the confines of Edgar Street or any other football stadia, I repeat, I'm all for it. The more colourful the better as far as I'm concerned and it's existence and use within Edgar Street doesn't cause me one sleepless moment in my nights sleep. Until the day, 'You big fat Ninny', catches on, and it ain't going to, we'll continue to use bad language to express ourselves whilst watching our team.

Alex, I'm not entirely sure I completely understand you, but whatever it is you've explained to me, Adrian seems to agree with you which, unsurprisingly, leads me to disagree with you both and here's why.

Any abuse, if it's tainted by a racist tone is not acceptable, and unlike you both, I do not think that our society has a 'massively over the top reaction'. I believe that our zero tolerance toward racial abuse is right, fully justified and not as you've implied massively over the top. Why on earth you've extrapolated my comment, had a think about it and then associated it with what I've said with the terrible times of our black sportsman is something I can't quite grasp. Why lad do you think that societies reaction to racism in sport is massively over the top?

Anyways, back to the profanities howled within the confines of Edgar Street or any other football stadia, I repeat, I'm all for it. The more colourful the better as far as I'm concerned and it's existence and use within Edgar Street doesn't cause me one sleepless moment in my nights sleep. Until the day, 'You big fat Ninny', catches on, and it ain't going to, we'll continue to use bad language to express ourselves whilst watching our team.

When I see massively over the top, I actually mean people use the race card all too often, hence massively over the top. Of course racist remarks are totally unacceptable 100% but my point is when is something not acceptable? So you can swear and throw abuse at players and the ref as long as you don't bring colour into it? Surely hurling abuse that you are all for is in a very grey area, so in your book you can shout 'You F'ing cheating Bastard' and that is all okay? I do not agree, they amount to the same in my book, only thing you have done is not used the word Black or something else that would be considered racist or hate.

Alex, the old saying,'when you're in a hole, stop digging' aptly applies to your reasoning. There's a world of difference. They are not the same. One scenario is firmly regulated by the Statutes and one is not, albeit the Public Order Act can be and is used to halt bad language if the circumstances prove necessary.

Through my simple eyes, I see one statement incorporating my bad language and someone's ethnicity as really bad and probably cruel and evil, and the other option that doesn't mention race as being far far less worse. You say, in your book they amount to the same thing. That's crazy reasoning Alex. They ain't the same lad. Nothing like the same.

Finally, do me a favour,,,, I don't want this topic or anything I say or think to be associated with the evil of racism. I dont believe that society goes over the top when it responds to acts of racism and I don't believe that some people deliberately throw the racist card in order to cause a problem, so from hereon, can we leave the horrors of racism behind and just deal with fools like me who use a little bad language at a football match.

Alex and Adrian, but particularly Alex. I've done it again! I've just read my exchanges with you and once again, without any outside help or assistance from anybody bloody else, I've repeated my terse writing style which once again and probably not for the last time makes me look and read overly aggressive.

For this, again, I offer you my apology. My writing style is my problem and I'll try and deal with it.

Oh dear, all this anymosity regarding swearing. Around about 9 times a year I go to six ways to watch rugby. Around 4 times a year I go to other grounds. I stand with families, opposing supporters, drink beer from a glass and never hear a swear word. NEVER. It is not the game, and I'll say this, but the mentality of the supporters. If you feel the need to express profenities with children around, carry on. Me, I love to help the kids enjoy the game, unsullied in embarressment. Football/ Soccer may be the best paid game in this country, But Rugby is definately the best social game. Villify me if you will, but swearing in front of children can never be right. NEVER.

Oh dear, all this anymosity regarding swearing. Around about 9 times a year I go to six ways to watch rugby. Around 4 times a year I go to other grounds. I stand with families, opposing supporters, drink beer from a glass and never hear a swear word. NEVER. It is not the game, and I'll say this, but the mentality of the supporters. If you feel the need to express profenities with children around, carry on. Me, I love to help the kids enjoy the game, unsullied in embarressment. Football/ Soccer may be the best paid game in this country, But Rugby is definately the best social game. Villify me if you will, but swearing in front of children can never be right. NEVER.

Slim , you are ,to my mind so right - I do not have grandchildren but if I did the last place I would want to take them at age 10 is to Hereford Football Club if F ing and Blinding is the norm and apparently acceptable .

As an aside in Jan 1957 I joined the Boys Regt RA at Bradbury Lines Hereford at the age of 15 yrs and 1 month - for the first year if you were heard to swear by one of the Regular Staff you had to report to the Education Block in the evening for an English lesson.

HFC first league loss this campaign, fans not happy with the referee...so was it the family friendly atmosphere we all want or as I expect screaming swearing and targeted abuse by the very vocal minority who will not have been challenged by the ineffective club stewards...why? Because it's all part of football!!

Nothing to do with the players underperforming or playing a team with more will and effort then? May as well blame someone else eh; a footballers moto - it's never my fault.

I have no idea about football...that's my opinion.

Insubordination is unheard of in the game of rugby!

I happened to watch Lincoln City v Ipswich Town on TV last night. At one point the camera pointed to the Lincoln fans. They were enjoying themselves taunting the Ipswich fans. The thing that caught my eye was the father holding up his young son who was joining in the chanting of "your support is f-c-ing s-it"

Lovely standards football fans have