Hereford Gridlocked Yet Again!!

Colin James

Hereford at a complete gridlock yet again! An accident at the junction between Greyfriars Bridge and St Nicholas St has brought the city to a standstill this afternoon.

attachicon.gifHereford Accident 16 June 2016.jpg

Nightmare!!!! I have been stuck in this traffic for over 90 minutes, one accident and the whole town comes to a complete shutdown  :Angry:

The problem is that once they have sorted out the casualties which is a priority the police take over with their accident investigations.

What they should do is just clear the road and let the traffic move - have a fast response breakdown truck or similar

Worry about measurements and/or photos later

All that said - if you were on a bike you were not delayed!!! :Winky:

This junction is an accident waiting to happen as too many cars on the A49 regularly jump the lights as they turn to red, when cars are trying to make a right turn. I know various people have asked for filter lights at this junction.

However, as I was on my trusty bike today like AV, I avoided any delay.  :Happy_32:

This junction is an accident waiting to happen as too many cars on the A49 regularly jump the lights as they turn to red, when cars are trying to make a right turn. I know various people have asked for filter lights at this junction.

However, as I was on my trusty bike today like AV, I avoided any delay.  :Happy_32:

Lights need removing and a roundabout installed

The problem is that once they have sorted out the casualties which is a priority the police take over with their accident investigations.

What they should do is just clear the road and let the traffic move - have a fast response breakdown truck or similar

Worry about measurements and/or photos later

All that said - if you were on a bike you were not delayed!!! :Winky:

A bike is not good when your on your way home from Birmingham airport is it! 

This is exactly what happens Maggie, I see it all the time and the poor driver trying to turn right only has a limited window to cross before the lights change again.

There's a shunt here practically every day of the week - it's probably the worst junction in the City and has been for years, but, as usual, NO ONE will do anything about it! There isn't even a proper facility for pedestrians to cross - come on Councillors, do something about it - and, yes I know, it's the A49 and Highways England but we need to cross it and turn on it safely!

Rebecca,if you are walking into town along Barton Road, you have to cross to the south side, which is difficult enough when it's busy, and then you encounter a stretch with no pavement, just where the road is at it's narrowest, facing oncoming traffic (in the dark and wet in the winter). Then you can come to the dark and broken glass strewn subway, which often plays home to some local undesirable or other, and if it's rained for more than five minutes is under six inches of water, then push a buggy up about twenty big steps. Thanks, but I'll just cross the road"up top".

There's a shunt here practically every day of the week - it's probably the worst junction in the City and has been for years, but, as usual, NO ONE will do anything about it! There isn't even a proper facility for pedestrians to cross - come on Councillors, do something about it - and, yes I know, it's the A49 and Highways England but we need to cross it and turn on it safely!

I think the worst junction is Barrs Court Rd -Aylestone Hill.

Any other Council would have sorted this one out years ago,ours probably with traffic lights..

Dozens more lights are on their way in the next 12 months on the Link Road.You would have thought our elected councillors would say something to stop this traffic light madness in our City.Sadly until we get rid of a few of them(mention no names)our traffic problems will continue.

I think the worst junction is Barrs Court Rd -Aylestone Hill.

Any other Council would have sorted this one out years ago,ours probably with traffic lights..

Dozens more lights are on their way in the next 12 months on the Link Road.You would have thought our elected councillors would say something to stop this traffic light madness in our City.Sadly until we get rid of a few of them(mention no names)our traffic problems will continue.

This junction will change when the link road is finished.

It will be left turn only from Aylestone Hill into Barrs Court Road and left turn only from Barrs Court Road into Aylestone Hill. So there will be no right turns either into or out of Barrs Court Road

Can we get back to the original topic please folks.

I support the idea of a filter light for traffic turning right into St Nicholas St, so many cars coming towards you are obviously jumping the lights preventing traffic from crossing within the limited time they have to cross. 

I support the idea of a filter light for traffic turning right into St Nicholas St, so many cars coming towards you are obviously jumping the lights preventing traffic from crossing within the limited time they have to cross. 

Colin

Sorry - but Ragwert is really to blame for going off topic :Blushing_32:

Here in Beverley the council removed a roundabout and installed traffic lights. They obviously visited Hereford and the Belmont roundabout to get ideas to improve traffic flows.

Motorists and residents in Beverley, near Hull, East Yorks., have been seeing red over Grovehill junction - which replaced a roundabout when a £22million bypass opened in 2015.

The junction attracted international headlines because of the large amount of lights in such a small area.

Now a road safety audit, commissioned by East Riding Council, has recommended engineers "rationalise where possible" the number of signals. However, the engineers behind the junction and its controversial design, Pell Frischmann, have insisted, "there is no scope for reduction of the number of signal poles".

This has been accepted by East Riding Council. 

Sounds familiar.

Definately need filter lights on this junction.  :Thumbs-Up:  :Thumbs-Up: