Belmont Community Centre

Tracy Bowes

I am very pleased to announce that South Wye Community Association (Belmont Community Centre) has been shortlisted in the "Local Community Award" category of the Herefordshire Community Champions Awards for 2016.

The final of the awards evening will take place on 29 April 2016 at the Shire Hall and we are all delighted to have been nominated and shortlisted for the final.

The Community Centre at Belmont continues to develop the services that we offer, we have a very active weekly coffee morning every Friday from 10 am, where we regularly meet over forty people.  We also hold two lunch clubs a month where fresh food is prepared and cooked for over forty local residents.

Since the closure of the main library in Hereford our footfall has continued to grow with around 40,000 people in the last year.  The licence for the year 2016/2017 is due to be signed and we know the library will remain in Belmont until at least the 31 March 2017. (Licences are issued on a yearly basis).

We also have a large number of user groups who hire the centre and we are considering extending the services that we offer to include "well being".  We hope to publish more information on our plans in the near future. 

In the meantime if you would like to volunteer at the centre or would just like to know more about us, please call in and see us.  You are guaranteed a warm welcome.

Finally, I would just personally like to thank all of the volunteers, trustees and users of the centre for all of the hard work, dedication and commitment shown by them.  Long may it continue and we look forward to a successful future.

I will keep you updated on the competition result :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Everyone,

I am very pleased and proud to announce that South Wye Community Association won the Liz Connors Local Community Award at last nights event, in the Shire Hall.  The Community Champions Award was presented to the Chairman Lindsey Evans and representatives from the Association.

I have to say it was wonderful to be part of such a great event.  There were five categories including Apprentice of the Year, Youth Champion, Volunteer of the Year, Greatest Achievement and the Liz Connors Community Award.   I spoke to several of the finalists at the event and was humbled by the work that people put in, not only to improve their community but to overcome personal obstacles.

The Association received a trophy and £500 donation, (the event was sponsored by Cargill).  We are considering using the donation to purchase seating for our rear garden area which is currently under construction.  This area will allow users of the library and the centre to access the garden, sit and read or just have a coffee or catch up with friends.

I wanted to thank all of the volunteers and users of the Centre for all their hard work, commitment and dedication.  One of the volunteers who attended the event last night has dedicated more than twenty years service !  Finally, to all users of the Centre, a big "thank you" for supporting us and attending events.

We will continue to work with residents and users to bring more services to the Centre and your support is invaluable.  If anyone would like to become a volunteer or find out more about us, please get in touch or drop into the Centre.  We are a friendly bunch and you would be given a warm welcome.

Good Morning Everyone,

I am very pleased and proud to announce that South Wye Community Association won the Liz Connors Local Community Award at last nights event, in the Shire Hall.  The Community Champions Award was presented to the Chairman Lindsey Evans and representatives from the Association.

I have to say it was wonderful to be part of such a great event.  There were five categories including Apprentice of the Year, Youth Champion, Volunteer of the Year, Greatest Achievement and the Liz Connors Community Award.   I spoke to several of the finalists at the event and was humbled by the work that people put in, not only to improve their community but to overcome personal obstacles.

The Association received a trophy and £500 donation, (the event was sponsored by Cargill).  We are considering using the donation to purchase seating for our rear garden area which is currently under construction.  This area will allow users of the library and the centre to access the garden, sit and read or just have a coffee or catch up with friends.

I wanted to thank all of the volunteers and users of the Centre for all their hard work, commitment and dedication.  One of the volunteers who attended the event last night has dedicated more than twenty years service !  Finally, to all users of the Centre, a big "thank you" for supporting us and attending events.

We will continue to work with residents and users to bring more services to the Centre and your support is invaluable.  If anyone would like to become a volunteer or find out more about us, please get in touch or drop into the Centre.  We are a friendly bunch and you would be given a warm welcome.

Well done Tracey this is very good news and a good achievement.

This is good news but when are the people responsible for creating the large debt we have are named and shamed.

What does this have to do with this topic and award?

Congratulations to the centre well deserved, keep up the good work that you all do.