Should David Cameron be the only to be put under this type of scrutiny?

Denise Lloyd

For those of you who did not see this interview this morning on BBC Breakfast - it certainly did not pull any punches

•  

Nick Boles: 'He might himself wish that he had been more forthcoming with the details on that very first day'

Nick Boles MP on BBC Breakfast
    Full interview: facebook.com/bbcbreakfast

or

Why is it only  Cameron being subjected to such scrutiny? I am sure there are many others and some closer to home that should be receiving the same treatment. 

Dam I have missed a word out on the heading again duh!!

1. Why is it only  Cameron being subjected to such scrutiny? 

There's only one PM at Westminster and that post should be under the microscope 24/7 by our free press/media. 

The post is occupied for the time being by the ultra slippery David Cameron who demonstrates his honed slipperiness skills at every PMQ's where, if he doesn't like the question, he'll bat it off by reeling off some facts/figures that promote his cause. Corbyn then gives in is the usual outcome.

It took 4 days of intense scrutiny to drag some historical info out of him about his offshore financial affairs. Information he knew was toxic/dynamite or he would have spat it out on Monday after the #PanamaPapers story broke. Instead he ordered his flunky's to trot out half baked/half truth stories that, in his own mind, he was convinced would make the press pack clear off. Obviously it made matters worse!

If Cameron is economical with the truth in one area he would be quite prepared to to repeat it elsewhere. Like, for instance, the Remain Campaign that he leads. He only feeds the serfs the information that fits his own agenda. For instance he never seems to be in too much of a hurry to explain why the official immigration figures are dwarfed by the number of new National Insurance numbers issued to new arrivals. I wonder why that is?

The IN/OUT referendum campaigns (for his part Cameron says he will play fair) are limited by law to a capped £7 Million budget per side which applies in the immediate period in the run up to the actual vote. Cameron didn't really want that fair fight so he moved the goalposts, for his side only, by giving his team £9 Million extra, for leaflets, which would circumvent the rules if it was spent just before the official campaign started.

So Cameron needs to be watched like a hawk. 

I am not sure he has done anything wrong tbh, he claims that he paid all UK taxes due on any profits.

Maybe he hasn't done anything wrong so why didn't he just come clean with the details when this story first broke it's not the behaviour we should expect from a PM perhaps he feels untouchable?

But he's not alone Farage is coming in for flak too

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-leader-nigel-farage-admits-1972988

Downing Street Protest Attracts Attention Of Anarchist Group Class War

The event has attracted the attention of anarchists.

5707e702150000ad000b4610.jpeg?cache=zag5

The Metropolitan Police say that appropriate plans are in place ahead of a protest outside Downing Street due to take place on Saturday.

Facebook events for the Panama-themed demonstration show over two thousand people as attending, including the singer Lily Allen, inspired by the Panama Papers revelations.

Abi Wilkinson, one of the events organisers, said: “We’re hoping to have a fun, tropical party vibe and to get ordinary people out rather than committed activist types.â€

Huffington Post

I'm almost tempted to go! I like parties! 

I don't think the BBC will feature this near the top of their news bulletins .... 

Much as I detest the Tories Cameron is not the only one who MAY have defrauded the tax people and the nation. My problem is what to do about two separate garage owners born and bred and living in Hereford who said they could repair my car for two hundred quid in hand!

If nine other people took their cars to same garages, then tax man would have been defrauded nearly £800! Do I report them and hope their employees do not lose their jobs when the boss spends six months in jail, or do I say to hell with it, and report all the plumbers, sparkies carpet layers and builders that have also offered to do jobs for cash that the tax man and the people should have had. It mounts up to more than Cameron MAY have had without paying tax!

I just ask these questions out of interest as it is easy to have a go at public figures but when your neighbour is doing the same thing, smaller scale but same alleged crime! 'He who is without sin, let him throw the first boulder'

We have discovered nothing new in the recent revelations, it has only confirmed what we all thought, but kept quiet about because the rich have always taken advantage of their tax loops and the rest of us have always looked at ways of copying them!

Much as I detest the Tories Cameron is not the only one who MAY have defrauded the tax people and the nation. My problem is what to do about two separate garage owners born and bred and living in Hereford who said they could repair my car for two hundred quid in hand!

With respect I'm not vaguely interested in that non story. You are obviously swept up into this local Political bubble which includes concealing concerns about potential tax evasion for your own altruistic reasons! Which is obviously a bit 'lefty'. Have you reported this potential criminal activity? You are a Councillor and I'm a bit surprised you are sounding off on here! 

The story here is not about tax evasion. t's about hypocrisy and a lack of transparency. The money sums exposed so far are so small as to fall off the radar. 

If nine other people took their cars to same garages, then tax man would have been defrauded nearly £800! Do I report them and hope their employees do not lose their jobs when the boss spends six months in jail, or do I say to hell with it, and report all the plumbers, sparkies carpet layers and builders that have also offered to do jobs for cash that the tax man and the people should have had. It mounts up to more than Cameron MAY have had without paying tax!

I just ask these questions out of interest as it is easy to have a go at public figures but when your neighbour is doing the same thing, smaller scale but same alleged crime! 'He who is without sin, let him throw the first boulder'

We have discovered nothing new in the recent revelations, it has only confirmed what we all thought, but kept quiet about because the rich have always taken advantage of their tax loops and the rest of us have always looked at ways of copying them!

Actually, I agree with you Chris, there is no difference in my opinion, it is just that the PM is a public figure.

Actually, I agree with you Chris

I hope Chris reports back that he has reported the two potential criminal outfits to the proper authorities. Not because I am vaguely interested in those outfits. But because I'm interested in Chris. He seems to be tolerant of local tax evasion for the reasons he gave. 

Actually, I agree with you Chris, there is no difference in my opinion, it is just that the PM is a public figure.

He's also the leader of the country there by he should be leading by example…if he's doesn't then how can he expect the little people to do so…a case of do what I say not as I do!

The different with trades people doing a bit of cash in hand work is they are more likely to spend it in shops etc so that the money gets put straight back into the economy where as those using tax havens are hording it for themselves in my opinion.

He's also the leader of the country there by he should be leading by example…if he's doesn't then how can he expect the little people to do so…a case of do what I say not as I do!

The different with trades people doing a bit of cash in hand work is they are more likely to spend it in shops etc so that the money gets put straight back into the economy where as those using tax havens are hording it for themselves in my opinion.

Double standards! You cannot have it both ways..

Double standards! You cannot have it both ways..

I didn't say I want it both ways Colin or that it was right I was merely explaining the difference between the two on what they do with the money…also the people paying those trades persons for work in cash are just as guilty too,as they do it in order to get a discount & in all probability knowing that tax will not be payed on that cash?

I didn't say I want it both ways Colin or that it was right I was merely explaining the difference between the two on what they do with the money…also the people paying those trades persons for work in cash are just as guilty too,as they do it in order to get a discount & in all probability knowing that tax will not be payed on that cash?

It came across to me as if you were suggesting that the people working for cash are probably putting the money back into the system therefore it was justified and okay, hence my reply. I apologise if that is not what you were suggesting. 

It came across to me as if you were suggesting that the people working for cash are probably putting the money back into the system therefore it was justified and okay, hence my reply. I apologise if that is not what you were suggesting.

Admittedly I could of done a better job of explained the point I was trying to make Colin as it was not well constructed so I apologise for any confusion.

There's potential double tax evasion with cash in hand jobs. The Govt. won't get the 20% VAT and if the money doesn't go through the books the tradesman won't pay income tax on it.

Anyhow this is the event today that the BBC have been very reluctant to report on ...

Cfl8aHAWwAANVcP.jpg

Ah cashies is that not referred to as the Black Economy. Who in all honesty has not partaken in a little cashie?  

Anyway I don't particular care for Cameron but I do not think this is right,  Chanting Cameron out  nah just not on we will end up with Osborne and he is as dodgy as hell. If we have got to have the Cons I would prefer to see Cameron sat in the hot seat at least we nearly know all his short comings.  If all MP's were questioned about tax evasion dodgy dealings just how many would come out squeaky clean? Councillors the same.  

Having said all that I did enjoy the Charlie Stayt/Nick Boles bashing  

Who in all honesty has not partaken in a little cashie?  

I pay cash to tradesmen all the time. That's not the issue here. It's Public perception and hypocrisy on the table here. Plus honesty and transparency. For the role Cameron performs. 

I would not class Cameron as rich compared with many he has not got the millions he is comfortably well off but certainly not rich and it is perfectly normal practice for the surviving parent to move a bit of money around to save their offspring a hefty tax burden following the death of the second parent.  Time to draw a line under his financial activities and concentrate on the mess this country is in.

Cameron would have a far easier and certainly more lucrative life if he was the CEO for HC.

How much interrogation would our local MP's cope with?

Well I am not sure he has actually done anything wrong.

See this article:

Chartered tax accountant Gurpreet Sandhu told Sky News that although Mr Cameron must have known the shares were "potentially politically sensitive", everything he has done has been above board.

"What it does show to me is that just before he became Prime Minister, he selectively sold the shares in the unit trust that his father effectively ran, so he probably realised it wasn't wise as Prime Minister to have these shares in an offshore fund and he sold those," he said.

"But he held on to the other shares he had and he sold those after he became Prime Minister, so what this tells me is that he knew this is potentially politically sensitive, but he's done absolutely nothing wrong.

As I said, he appears to have done nothing wrong.

What Cameron explained to Robert Peston (ITV news) on the Thursday he could easily have explained on the Monday. But it wasn't.

He tried to keep stuff under wraps not because it was illegal but because it 'looked' bad.

What Cameron explained to Robert Peston (ITV news) on the Thursday he could easily have explained on the Monday. But it wasn't.

He tried to keep stuff under wraps not because it was illegal but because it 'looked' bad.

In fairness to the PM, he needed to respond accurately and if that meant gathering all his documentation and evidence in order to provide a defence, then I see nothing wrong with that tbh.

Honestly with every little scandal that's happened in the past few weeks with IDS resigning and Osbornes cock up in the budget I'm surprised that this offshore tax debacle hasn't ended up with Cameron resigning his leadership post. Tbf Cameron has made a right pigs ear of this past week

I do not agree, I think the opposite, he has done the right thing and handled this better than expected.

He could of come clean right away and not dragged it out over 4 days. Doing that would suggest that he has something to hide

I agree with what Colin wrote above

In fairness to the PM, he needed to respond accurately and if that meant gathering all his documentation and evidence in order to provide a defence, then I see nothing wrong with that tbh.

That's fair enough but from a outsiders perspective it did seam as like he was caught in the headlights so to speak,not sure quite what to say. I've said this before but honestly this whole situation stinks.. Cameron has done well to dodge this toxic mess sadly. I'm sure IF we had a effective opposition to the tories in parliament then the outcome would have been far more favorable to us people who cant stand the tories

Well personally I can't stand our friend Comrade Corbyn, I think the man is a dinosaur and a dangerous one at that. 

I do not agree, I think the opposite, he has done the right thing and handled this better than expected.

I not sure Cameron would agree with you on that?…going by his address on Saturday to the conservative spring form.

post-991-0-80549100-1460410196_thumb.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/09/david-cameron-to-launch-local-election-campaign-as-panama-papers-row-rumbles-on