Hereford Festival

Colin James

What we need in Hereford is our very own Hereford Festival with local ales and cider.

HF.jpg

An annual weekend starting Saturday 12 noon ending Sunday 5pm as an example. The idea would be to use existing local pubs each would have a live band at various time slots throughout the weekend, food could be available, burgers, hot dogs, curries etc.  We could explore having a bus service running between the various pubs at 20-30 minute intervals. Something similar to festivals in other towns. We need to get Hereford as an annual venue for a great festival.

A printed programme with advertisers also listing all the performance times of bands, singers etc and lists of local ales and ciders would be available for £2 or £3 per copy.

Come on people, give me your ides's and let's get our very own Hereford Festival and make our city the place to be next summer!

I like the sound of this already Colin.  :Thumbs-Up:  :Thumbs-Up:  :Thumbs-Up:

Thanks Mick. I am still thinking about the name but Hereford Ale Festival or Hereford Festival of Ale or something long those lines. I thought Hereford Festival initially but I am sure other members will come up with some alternative suggestions but we could just keep it simple as that.

It would be even better if you could involve local producers - farmers/bakers/butchers/brewers of course.  Possibly incorporate a Farmers Market so that Herefordshire can showcase what they do best  - produce the best food. Brilliant idea something has to be done to discourage the kind of fiasco/rip off there was with the Hereford Cider Festival. 

Clun have just had one this weekend just gone, involve a minibus between venues with food and local ales etc.

I personally think it's a fantastic idea. If it was just the pubs in town, then is there a need for a minibus? Unless of course there are plans to run one around local villages to collect and drop people off (say a £5 charge per person) from outlying villages (Kingstone/Madley/Holme Lacy/Moreton etc) as public transport get a bit iffy if you are tanked up after a festival, lol. Obviously insurance and costs are an issue there though, but may attract more people if there is an option of not having to drive in to town.

How about the Hereford ABC Festival? (Ale, Beer & Cider Festival) as a name?

I think we should have an apple & hop festival to include all things to do with those items as they are historic to the county with live music too of course if you can get the pubs involved then that's would be ace perhaps do something on the castle green with friends of the castle green?

Great idea that needs to come to fruition, and put Hereford on the map. We have award winning local ale, cider and produce/food makers distributing worldwide. Why not celebrate this? Once the "round" has been completed and your card has stamped at each venue, Trade this in for an invaluable "I completed Hereford Voice Live" t-shirt!!

Only you can make this happen people of Hereford.

I think Initially I would prefer to keep it to the city but depending on it's success we could then look at expansion later on. I am also keen to involve local producers farmers etc..

I am still not convinced to be honest, a bus going to pubs, do you think a pub could manage a whole load of people at one time, depending how many is on the bus.

Who you callin' boozer? <hic> wanna fight about it, step outside, i'll take yer all on! <hic> you're my bestest buddy ever <hic>

LOL

I was thinking more of a shuttle bus to bring people into the city to walk around the participating establishments etc rather than running between pubs. Maybe there could be a stage set up on Castle Green, or Bishops Meadow for bands and live acts (some decent stand up's would be good too - not all of us like live music).

This is a great idea we now have a river festival established we could create a carnival to go alongside this so we could celebrate all things hereford cider,ale,hops,beef let's get a team together to drive this forward Hereford city council have supported similar things. "Voice" folks let's make this happen!!

I was thinking more of a shuttle bus to bring people into the city to walk around the participating establishments etc rather than running between pubs. Maybe there could be a stage set up on Castle Green, or Bishops Meadow for bands and live acts (some decent stand up's would be good too - not all of us like live music).

Ah, I see.