Members Only Forum

Colin James

I am thinking of creating a "Members Only" forum. 

membersonly.png

If I decide to go ahead with this after receiving comments from you all, this area would not be accessible to just anyone, unlike the current forums which are accessible to all, even those who are not logged in can read current topics/posts but unless they are logged in then no replies can be given as it stands.

A "Members Only" forum, is only accessible to those members who are logged in. The forum would be in a private area for those people who would like to discuss things more privately and away from search engines and other links. Nothing is 100% of course, so I would have to apply some rules, for example, nothing discussed in this area should not be discussed anywhere else on the forums etc...

I could make it even more secure by only allowing members who use their real identities or who a real person on here can vouch for. 

I can set up any criteria but I would appreciate your thoughts on this idea...

A "Members Only" forum, is only accessible to those members who are logged in. The forum would be in a private area for those people who would like to discuss things more privately and away from search engines and other links.

I've got nothing to say on here that I would need to keep more private than current arrangements allow. I'll go with the flow but if a few tweaks led to more people logging in and engaging in the site (to see the hidden stuff) then from that angle it seems a good idea. This site already carries adverts and so more activity and then people perceiving the site was getting more popular could only increase revenue potential. 

Hmmm... Not sure how I feel about this. I agree with Roger in that,'I've got nothing to say on here that I would need to keep more private than current arrangements allow.'  One of the aims of this site is to enable people to have a voice about what is happening in Herefordshire -which at the moment Hereford Voice does so well when there is nowhere else to openly and honestly express one's opinions. I can't help feeling that by creating a 'Members Only' forum you may alienate people and make them less likely to get involved or feel that somehow their opinions are less valued.

I see what Roger means it may force people to login in order to see the members only forum which is a good thing. 

I think it is. More potential participation and more potential revenue. The Forum is free to take part in so fair enough if an area of the site was only viewable if logged in. I doubt the hidden content would be any more interesting than the Public content to be honest. Hidden areas have to be seriously exclusive in my view. I've previously helped moderate seriously exclusive areas by the way. 

Hmm, again not sure. I don't dislike the idea per se, but I use a Nome DE plume, albeit a very loose one,  as my job involves security and the Home Office. To that end, Ifeel apprehensive about continuing, which, for me, would be a shame.

Discussions behind closed doors - really? Isn't this what we've been criticising the council for for what seems like forever?

Further, if those subjects discussed then can't be discussed 'in the open', what is left? Casual visitors (and those that value their privacy or their contacts or their jobs) who might feel drawn to comment at the moment will disappear and what are you left with?

Is admin going to guarantee absolutely that data will be confidential and secure?

Discussions behind closed doors - really? Isn't this what we've been criticising the council for for what seems like forever?

Further, if those subjects discussed then can't be discussed 'in the open', what is left? Casual visitors (and those that value their privacy or their contacts or their jobs) who might feel drawn to comment at the moment will disappear and what are you left with?

Is admin going to guarantee absolutely that data will be confidential and secure?

Spot on TWG.This is Hereford voice for everyone and anyone to view,if you want to partake in discussions then become a full member by signing up....If it ain't broke,don't fix it

I don't think even some are the Worlds biggest companies and banks can give those guarantees TWG. 

Colin, since reading this Topic you've raised I've been having a think and my conclusion is you've really no need to change anything. Hereford Voice, despite its recent problems which I'll come onto shortly, is just fine the way it is. There's nothing wrong with Hereford Voice. There's nothing wrong with its many achievements, most notably the still standing Old Boys Working Home in Bath Street and the constant irritation that many Councillors feel whenever they read our thoughts.

If there is anything wrong with Hereford Voice, it's the membership. Yes, the membership, or to narrow it down a little, it's probably me. I read recently, and I think it was Bill Thomas who quite rightly suggested I throw me toys out of the pram whenever I'm met with criticism. Bill's actually wrong, though I see where he's coming from. I actually thrive on criticism. My problem is, and it's my problem and no one else's, is that I've been blogging for so long I've become intolerant to another's view and that is why 'The Shame Of The European Union', that I authored brought about the fracture amongst the membership. I couldn't stomach the idea that people didn't agree with me.

Yep! On reflection I've fallen out with just about everyone and one must reach a point where you have to ask yourself a sensible question 'is it me?'. When you can brag that you've got at least four personal Trolls outside of Hereford Voice and you've fallen out with several upon these pages, you've gotta conclude that I may be the problem. And I am. It's me. All of this has its source and it's me and the blasted topic The Shame Of The European Union.

Everything that was once fine has been tipped on its head, the membership no longer know whether they're coming or going or they're about to be exposed and have their private working lives placed in peril and it's all because of me and my blasted opinions that, when you cut through it all, are of absolutely no consequence or interest at all to anyone with a modicum of sense.

To those that I've been terse to, rude to and aggressive toward, I extend to you my own sincere personal apology and I hope that all of this goes someway toward smoothing things for the membership of Hereford Voice.

Me? I can't say I will ever want to post another thought or opinion again upon HV but it's got absolutely nothing to do with Hereford Voice and its membership. It's entirely about me and the way in which I communicate my views and thoughts on issues that have got bugger all to do with me.

For all its faults, and they've been exposed, this thing Hereford Voice is for the most part a force for good and long may it continue. And so, I say to my friend Colin, don't be tempted to fix something that isn't broken. There is nothing wrong with Hereford Voice. In fact, given the retirement of Bill Tanner and the obvious impact this will have upon our local media and more importantly, the news we get spoon fed, I'd say that the Hereford Voice and its present format and easy access to the people of Hereford is more important today than ever before.

Don't change it Colin. Leave it as it is and don't bust this good thing you've created. My very warmest regards.

I am more than happy to leave the forum exactly as it is, which I probably will, but I was asked the question about a members only forums, so I thought I would put it out there for everyone to comment. I tend to agree with bobby47 and will leave things as they are, at least for the foreseeable future.