LED STREET LIGHTS

There is a topic about that here

The Council figures there will be long term cost savings with these new lights that will outweigh the initial expense so you can see the thinking behind it. I'm not a major fan of the type of light they throw off but as I've got one 20 yards from my front door I can testify that the sideways light with them is virtually nil so you don't get your bedroom illuminated as you would with the old style yellow lights.

They're not perfect tho as I've seen two LED lights in Bryngwyn Close that are on at 4pm in June. 

Also I'm still mystified why the Council haven't fixed that light bang in the centre of the New Bridge (northbound lane) which is permanently on.

These lights were installed last week in Newton Farm without being told they just came along and put them in. When I was a councillor in the old Belmont ward, the people up there didn't like them I had numerous complaints, I told the council not to install them in Newton Farm or Hunderton without asking the people if they wanted them, they didn't do that, but when has this Tory council listened to the people? we had no letters at all. the one across the road from me is shining in my bedroom window keeping me awake.

People will get used to them.  They'll have to.

I personally don't mind the LED lights.  

They are less prone to breakdown, last longer, are more economical to run and there is much less light pollution from them.

Admittedly some are going to go wrong, there is a light on the path between Plough Lane and Yazor Road that is on during the day...

My only gripe is that the council missed a bit of a trick by not getting lights with a solar panel on them.

Imagine every new street light having a solar cell on the top, collecting power for the light when it's dark and feeding the excess into the national grid all day long.

It would be an enormous solar farm but without having fields and fields full of solar panels.

There is a topic about that here

The Council figures there will be long term cost savings with these new lights that will outweigh the initial expense so you can see the thinking behind it. I'm not a major fan of the type of light they throw off but as I've got one 20 yards from my front door I can testify that the sideways light with them is virtually nil so you don't get your bedroom illuminated as you would with the old style yellow lights.

They're not perfect tho as I've seen two LED lights in Bryngwyn Close that are on at 4pm in June. 

Also I'm still mystified why the Council haven't fixed that light bang in the centre of the New Bridge (northbound lane) which is permanently on.

Not sure whether lighting on the A49 is the Highways Agency Roger

yes the lighting on the A49 is the Highways Agency responsibility.

Are they paying the bill? How do you differentiate what electric is being used on the bridge compared to, say, the lights on the nearest residential street? Is it all wired up different or do the HA maintain the lights but The Council foot the electric bill? I don't know!

• 3 weeks later...

Well the dreaded things are up and working and as i thought they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

They are doing my street, and an adjacent street, at the moment. Most of the new steel poles were dug in and erected 2 or 3 weeks ago but they are yet to remove the existing lights which are on concrete posts. Dunno why it has all gone quite for a couple of weeks.

I will issue some praise tho. Some of the old concrete mounted yellow lights have become inconveniently positioned. They would have been fine when erected but with people pulling garden walls down to widen drives they have now become serious obstructions. So the men are putting the new lights bang on the front boundary line between properties. Thumbs up for that. 

All very interesting - I live at least two and a half miles from the nearest street light - that's fine by me , I can see the night sky and whilst we were sitting outside tonight had the privilege of seeing a very big owl sitting on a nearby building.

Heh old codger..you should be in bed with ya cocoa.

I'm a bit selfish on this because I'm hoping to see a bit more night sky when my LED,s show up. It's the one thing I have missed since coming south from our old village. I know there are many that think that these light replacements are not as bright and thus less safe for late night walkers but I like them but not the shiny poles they are being fitted to!

The LED lights (not IED) that were installed in Belmont over 3 years ago, personally, I think they are excellent, cost saving and now there is no or very little light pollution. In my opinion this is the way forward and the council get my vote on this one to be fair, I have also changed all of my bulbs at home which has saved a lot of money too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They dug up the whole pavement opposite my gaff 6 months ago and installed a new LED light. It's not connected and the old yellow light is still there. Whole pavement is blocked with barricades! I'm getting very bored of seeing that situation going on! 

They dug up the whole pavement opposite my gaff 6 months ago and installed a new LED light. It's not connected and the old yellow light is still there. Whole pavement is blocked with barricades! I'm getting very bored of seeing that situation going on! 

Where? Do you have a photo or something Roger we can chase this up for you.

There are two teams working in Hereford replacing street lighting.
One team installs and removes the other disconnects and re connects the electrical side.
One is obviously quicker than the other so that's why you get situations like the one in Courtnay Rise.

It is a shame to see the old  ones go, they look much better than the metal pipes that are now stuck in the ground.

We still got a old one down the road next to a new one, it is not connected, I have no idea when it will be removed

Hafod Road still has some very old  pre 1950/60 street lights

I have one...just one remains.It stands alone, brothers and sisters gone, the stick men soldier the street now.

I like them, the light, their functional status. One of these privates throws a light across a young Eucalyptus Tree providing a vision of Christmas as the snowy leaves glisten at 2am. But the forgotten one is left casting an old fashioned light across its little corner like a portly old chap, slightly leaning in acknowledgement of its presence to the young bucks that now have control.

• 2 months later...

I took this photo of Whitecross Road at 1am simply to show where the light beam is cast, this is more evident during conditions of fog which we have now. I think the LED's are much better than the original yellow lights and there is clearly a lot less light pollution above, the beam is concentrated more on the path/road below as you can see from the photograph below.

Whitecross Road.jpg

I took this photo of Whitecross Road at 1am simply to show where the light beam is cast, this is more evident during conditions of fog which we have now. I think the LED's are much better than the original yellow lights and there is clearly a lot less light pollution above, the beam is concentrated more on the path/road below as you can see from the photograph below.

attachicon.gifWhitecross Road.jpg

This is a good example with the fog. I prefer the LED myself, have you tried looking up they are blindingly bright compared to the older style lights.

This is a good example with the fog. I prefer the LED myself, have you tried looking up they are blindingly bright compared to the older style lights.

Well going by the amount of comments on Facxebook when Hereford Voice posted the picture on there, it seems like a lot of people do not like these lights.

I do not see what this is thing is with LED lights, people using them at home  as well and yet they are to be honest useless. i got a couple for my house, one is now in the hall and the other is in the downstairs loo, gone back to the old traditional Incandescent bulbs for my computer room and living room. Much easier to read with.