Southern Link Road Preferred Route

megilleland

I dont know if this is correct but I have heard that the Southern Link Road is due to be decided at a planning meeting on Monday 6th June. Someone was hoping that alot of people would turn up and show that the public do not want this waste of money (on top of all the other money the council seem to be wasting on their vanity projects). Does anyone know where the meeting will take place and at what time?

Apparently Cllr Chappell has said he wants this road, which surprised me as it will make the noise, traffic and air quality along the A49 in his ward alot worse for his residents as the queues along this road will be much worse, and more accidents are expected as a result. There have already been to many accidents on the A49 just south of Hereford in the last 12 months. I had hoped that Chris Chappell would speak up for his residents and tackle the congestion before they build this pointless road. Perhaps he ought to read some of the information others have posted on Hereford Voice about this road and why it is a monumental waste of our money.

Got it now all 216 pages of it yes not surprised.  Despite my own personal feelings I have to salute the Planning Officer Kelly Gibbons she must have lived slept eaten the SLR for the last however many years and much toil and effort has been put into producing it with quite considerable opposition.  I think it was always going to be a done job.

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/documents?id=08356e2a-23e4-11e6-96d8-0050569f00ad

I have heard that the Council have already spent over £2million on consultants fees just for the planning application. Why? How does this road help tackle congestion going into Hereford? I wonder how much money Herefordshire Council are paying for this road someone said the whole project is costing over £35million. Will there be any money left for the walkers and cyclists who need better access ACROSS SOUTH WYE and to and from the various schools such as Marlbrook? Cllr Rone says that Marlbrook Primary school needs to be expanded for taking extra children but it cant be done until access is sorted out. But then it seems there isn't any money for doing this. 

I have heard that the Council have already spent over £2million on consultants fees just for the planning application.

Yes, that was taken from the roads maintenance budget, hence the continuing appalling condition of most of the main roads in and out of the City. An obscene amount of money - complete madness.

There is a road on Graham Powell's patch called The Slough it runs as you travel through Vowchurch/Turnastone up to Michaelchurch Escley and goes uphill for a couple of miles.  Now if you want to see a rough bit of road that probably would take a near top prize.  Quite surprising Graham P usually manages to get his roads fairly well maintained - oh well.

Oh that £35m how much more wisely it could have been spent 

Graham Powell must do a great job in his area as when I had a day out in the Olchon Valley last year the whole road had been completely resurfaced, you could have played bowls on it the surface was so smooth. I couldnt believe it as when you cycle around Hereford City the road surfaces are really bad. Bath St by the Kerry Arms has a particularly nasty pothole around the drain cover if you get that far,  and as for Union Street you dont want to be actually sitting on your saddle as you go along - enough said! There are plenty more bad roads but I wont go on. For £2million we could surely have improved and resurfaced more of the City's roads for people like me trying to cycle and leave the car behind. As it is I feel very nervous having to cycle in the middle of the road to avoid the worst of the poor road surfaces, especially around the drain covers, though I must admit car drivers on the whole have been very good, only overtaking if there is no oncoming traffic. This has really helped my confidence and encouraged me to keep cycling despite the roads. I cant believe that yet again Consultants get loads of money when we have no library and our Citizens Advice Bureau is going. 

My friend wanted to speak at the planning meeting but she has been told that the Council will only allow 5 objectors to speak on the day, and only 15 minutes has been set aside for all their comments. I was a bit surprised as I thought there had been thousands of people objecting. There are more than 5 people whose homes will be directly affected by this road and it seems there are a few of them who wont be allowed to speak.

Hi Maggie, I believe 'time slots' are allocated on a first come, first served basis. People who have been allocated time to speak can opt to share their minutes with another, or include their views.

This is actually more time, and more speakers than is usually allowed.

As someone who wrote a letter of objection, I received details of the plan to allow more speakers/more time through the post last week. It was signed by Kelly Gibbons from the planning department. The list of who has been successful in applying for a slot will be available the day before the hearing.

We had a lot of discussions about this when we were trying to stop the demolition of The Working Boys Home. It is best to try to get interested parties together and decide who will be the most effective people to speak.

No they are very tight on time with the speakers and in a way I can understand that. My Ward Councillor Jon Johnson will be speaking alongwith Steve Williams both of which are Cons be very interesting how they decide to voice an opinion!!  Follow the party or follow your people!!

I hope the objectors have pulled some really excellent speakers out of the hat.  With each speaker allowed only a very short time to speak they have to be clear concise and able to speak in public without getting flustered - literally every second counts

I am not disagreeing with you Dippy posted this the same as you posted yours - great minds and all that

It is recommended that the council request that the LEP make a bid submission, by
the advanced submission deadline of 31 May 16, for a £2.65m contribution towards
the estimated £3.35m cost of developing the Hereford bypass outline business case.

15 The development of an outline business case is a required step in the process for
delivering new road infrastructure and, in this case, it will contribute towards the
ongoing development of the legal, financial, and planning evidence base for the
Hereford bypass

Financial implications
21 The local transport majors fund is an opportunity for the council to secure significant
government funding towards the development of an outline business case for the
Hereford bypass. Failure to apply for, and/or secure this funding would require the
council to fund the full costs of developing the outline business case for the Hereford
bypass.

22 The council, as the scheme delivery partner, is expected to provide matched funding
towards the local transport majors funding, the required level of matched funding is
not specified within the bid guidance.

23 The development of an outline business case for the Hereford bypass has been
estimated to cost £3.25m, the bid to the local transport majors fund requests £2.65m
towards these costs. The £600,000 council contribution has been confirmed and held
in earmarked reserves.

27 There is a risk that DfT may decline to fund the bid submission. In mitigation the
council have developed a comprehensive bid submission which the LEP independent
technical evaluator is in the process of independently reviewing to improve the
strength of the submission(s).

£3.35 million should keep the council, consultants and Balfour Beatty happy for a little bit longer.

Got it now all 216 pages of it yes not surprised.  Despite my own personal feelings I have to salute the Planning Officer Kelly Gibbons she must have lived slept eaten the SLR for the last however many years and much toil and effort has been put into producing it with quite considerable opposition.  I think it was always going to be a done job.

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/documents?id=08356e2a-23e4-11e6-96d8-0050569f00ad

Having had a pretty deep look at this you can see that if this road is built then a drastic reduction in traffic coming down Belmont Road is quite likely as there seems to be quite a lot of vehicles wanting to get to the A49,Rotherwas,Home Lacy and surrounding areas.

Problem is that's the only road it will reduce traffic,we will still have traffic congestion everywhere else in the City.

No they are very tight on time with the speakers and in a way I can understand that. My Ward Councillor Jon Johnson will be speaking alongwith Steve Williams both of which are Cons be very interesting how they decide to voice an opinion!!  Follow the party or follow your people!!

Hi Denise I think you will find that Steve Williams is away on holiday so he wont be in a position of having to speak on behalf of many of his local residents who are against this road. 

Having had a pretty deep look at this you can see that if this road is built then a drastic reduction in traffic coming down Belmont Road is quite likely as there seems to be quite a lot of vehicles wanting to get to the A49,Rotherwas,Home Lacy and surrounding areas.

Problem is that's the only road it will reduce traffic,we will still have traffic congestion everywhere else in the City.

If you havent already explored this area of South Hereford it is really beautiful. Why trash it with a new road costing £27million that doesn't sort out the congestion in Hereford City? It might reduce traffic on Belmont Road but why on earth then put all this traffic on the Ross Road? Moving a problem doesn't mean it is solved. 

I think Steve W is allowed to nominate a replacement speaker well I think he is anyway.  My money is on David Harlow being selected as a replacement speaker.

If not this really puts the pressure on Jon Johnson to do the right thing by his residents.

I was thinking about the traffic last night following Ragwert's comments about Belmont Road.  Traffic is like water it will always find a way out.  If the traffic is bunged up on the A49 drivers will either stay on A465 or skip across at Walnut Tree Avenue.

I rarely see HGV's travel to the Asda roundabout down the A465 to go to Rotherwas.  Don't forget there is a height restriction at Pontrilas on HGV's so this prevents quite a few HGV's using this route from Wales.  More use the A49 route where there is already a route to Rotherwas.

One of my concerns is the amount of traffic the Clehonger will displace onto the Clehonger/Madley/Bridge Sollars leading into the Roman Road/Kings Acre route.

Oh yes as if by magic now what is the quickest way to Rotherwas now that the SLR is built oh yes Bridge Sollars Madley Clehonger onto the SLR and then you are there - 25 minutes should do it - so much easier and faster than battling your way through town and a pretty little commute to boot.

That's forward thinking HC's way of easing congestion through town

I will be at this planning meeting on Monday afternoon, cant wait to hear what Cllr Edwards will say, as he is all for this road being built, we know what Cllr Chappell wants to get on with building it. This road will not work without a river crossing, it will just be a 'road to nowhere' as I named it a few years ago. The destruction of woodland, nature habitat not to mention people gardens doesn't matter to the Cllr's on the planning committee as long as they get their own way!!!. I have always been against this road coming from the south.

Oh yes as if by magic now what is the quickest way to Rotherwas now that the SLR is built oh yes Bridge Sollars Madley Clehonger onto the SLR and then you are there - 25 minutes should do it - so much easier and faster than battling your way through town and a pretty little commute to boot.

That's forward thinking HC's way of easing congestion through town

You would of thought some of their buddies from Worcestershire council would tell them that and they have two by passes

The planning site visit for this road is happening tomorrow morning, below are the stopping points:

The site visit will be conducted from the coach and from a number of pre-arranged locations.It will convene at 10.30am at Veddoes Farm, Grafton Lane, and then at approx 11.30am at the agriculture access 300 metres north of Haywood Lodge cottages, Haywood Lane. At these points interested members of the public will have the opportunity to listen to, but not partake, in any discussion with the members of the planning committee.

Posting simultaneously again, Denise!

Can't believe Chris Chappel.....'Every South Wye resident will benefit.'

Really Chris??

Really?

I know plenty who beg to differ.

He also states the SLR will take South Wye out of deprivation.

It's a road Chris. But not one constructed with yellow bricks. The Wizard doesn't exist, and they'll be no pot of gold somewhere over the rainbow either.

There will however, be : vast destruction of beautiful countryside, ancient woodland and Jean's garden. It will not solve Hereford's traffic issues. If anything, it will make them worse.

A high price has been paid by some let us hope it pays off for them!! 

Apart from everything else and I will really really try not to keep going on and on ............. it does really concern me that they are putting so much emphasis on the new Uni which incidentally is depending on £18million EU funding.

Nice to see the existing residents are looked after so well. 

As I understand it -

The Committee has 17 members - 9 Conservative, 1 Green, 2 Ind, 1 LD and 4 IOC.

So with 12 voting for it and 4 four against it would be good to know who voted which way. Assuming the Green voted against that appears to show that 1 IOC either abstained or voted for it?