Southern Link Road Preferred Route

megilleland

Nice little letter has been posted on the PA website from Historic England.  Sadly the letter is not dated and has not been date stamped by HC upon receipt.  How on earth a satisfactory Audit Trail can be conducted when incoming mail is not date stamped remains a mystery to me.  It used to be a disciplinary matter when I worked in admin obviously the same standards are no longer adhered to.

In the GV Wye a glossy little magazine delivered free in the Golden Valley area.  Councillor Graham Powell writes a short piece.  A paragraph caught my eye and I quote

"Once the Core Strategy has been adopted we can be confident that we will have regained control to prevent speculative development,communities will approve their own neighbourhood plans to describe change in their local area and put them in control of that change." 

And that is straight from the horse's mouth and word for word.

Now I wonder will those few words come back and haunt anybody time will tell. 

• 2 weeks later...

Herewith list of members of the Planning Committee.  I have not broken them down into parties but I am pretty sure that they are predominately Cons so the opposition will have their work cut out opposing this one!!  I trust there are some excellent speakers being lined up.  Mind you in my experience excellent speakers don't always win over the opposition.

Good grief...Have just spotted a cousin of mine on that list and....A Tory too....Uggghhhh

"Good grief...Have just spotted a cousin of mine on that list and....A Tory too....Uggghhhh" Well Ragwert you are going to have to have word in the shell like of that person depending of course on your leaning.  Blood is thicker than water or so they say.

This discovery could bring shame on the family  :Grin:

• 1 month later...

This is just a access road and need one from Hampton park to the Hereford Worcester road do not forget 16 miles to the M50 28 miles to the M5 it should be duel carriageway to both the motorways and duel carriageway to Shrewsbury then you can say you have an infrastructure that will attract the big boys to this city and it should have been done 40 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Going East? Here's a way to get across the Lugg Meadows with the minimum of disruption of the landscape. I am sure the UK could build a smaller version of this to work here.

East is the only viable option in my opinion. Lugg flowers etc will have to go as society moves on ..... We need landscapes of cheap and cheerful houses .... Plus roads ..... Plus the incumbent people are only interested in getting back in next time. ....

• 1 month later...

Courtesy of Here for Hereford which will explain the need for the amendment

s case for this ‘road to nowhere’. The amount of high grade agricultural land to accommodate the road will be greater than originally envisaged; the embanked areas will require a 1.5 m barrier on each side; the Haywood Lane Bridge will have 1.8 m high steel parapets; Withy Brook will probably have to be diverted; and so on. These documents do not include the anticipated assessments of minerals and waste disposal, essential to calculate the full costs of the scheme. They do not include the South Wye Transport Package's updated ‘Package Assembly Report’ which was to outline the inclusion in the SWTP of the sustainable transport measures, “integral to the scheme†whose delivery is “a condition of the fundingâ€. [specific quotes come from Cabinet Minutes, 18 December 2014, p.2]. All that we learn about these measures in the latest tranche of documents on the Council’s website is that the consultants think they will cost approximately £8M, in addition to the £27M required for the SLR. Where is the £8M coming from? A search of the Council's Medium Term Financial Strategy (2016-20) provides no answers as the only sum mentioned there is the £27M for the road. That £27M is part of a Local Growth Fund allocated to the Marches Local Enterprise Partnership in 2014, but now earmarked, if the scheme goes ahead, for management by the Department for Transport. The level of uncertainty over costs is such that the scheme itself is uncertain. Value for money cannot be demonstrated if full cost estimates are unknown.

1173651_1053586694712638_127776795634385

In an attempt to encourage cycling and walking there might be a chance to grab some of the £300 plus million grant.  Let us hope HC can see further than the end of their noses or perhaps this road to grab some of this when the time comes  

UK plan to boost cycling and walking 'worthless without ...
www.theguardian.com › Lifestyle › Cycling
9 hours ago - The government's cycling and walking investment strategy “won't be worth the paper it's written on†unless backed by sustained fundingcycling ...

A friend of mine says that people involved in the Rotherwas Enterprise Zone want more walking, cycling routes and better and more frequent bus services to the area to help their employees and reduce traffic in the area. Apparently if the Southern Link Road is built it will increase traffic on the A49 and this is against the agreement the Council made with the Highways Agency and so will actually stop new businesses moving to the area rather than encouraging them. Surely it will be quicker and easier for the Council to improve walking, cycling and public transport and reduce car use rather build this massively expensive road option. If they build the road first I bet the walking, cycling and bus improvements will never happen as we will be told "the money has run out"! The Council are only just doing the improvements to Holme Lacy road which we were originally promised would happen straight away after they built the "Rotherwas Relief Road". I understand that these are only happening now because of the local IOC councillor and the local parish councillors are pushing for it and trying to get the lorries and cars to use the new road built for them.

• 2 weeks later...

This application is scheduled for Planning Committee on 6th June 2016.  Please people get your letters in there is still time.  Please read up on the sale of HC Farms and the Core Strategy many many more houses are due to be built. This road will not help the traffic in Hereford. Planning Application 151314 refers 

New campaign from the Woodland Trust to save ancient woodland along the proposed route of the Southern Link Road

Below is the link to the Woodland Trust campaign action about the Hereford Southern Link Road that has now gone live.  Please pass it round and make sure your local community or network is aware of this action to sign:

https://campaigns.woodlandtrust.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1743&ea.campaign.id=49873

Grafton Wood is more special than it looks to an outsider. It's ancient woodland, as indicated by the bluebells flowering now. Ancient woodland has great biodiversity, a huge number of trees, animals, birds, plants, insects, microbes above ground and also in the soil.  Most counties have hardly any ancient woodland so ours in Herefordshire is extra precious!

• 1 month later...

With the decision on this road due to be made at the Planning Committee on 6th June 2016 many communications are flying around.  One of note is a letter from Jesse Norman.  The letter is one of objection supporting Jean Harris and her husband in their objection.   This can be found on the Planning HC website under PA151314 along with a letter from Hereford Zone naturally supporting the road which has been subsequently copied onto the letters page of the HT.  

A Conservative MP writing in opposition to his Conservative led council has to be quite a rare happening.

This road was debated and passed at full council meeting yesterday. Two South Wye councillors Edwards and Chappell voted for this road, they must be mad. I hope the people remembers this at the next election in 2019 and vote them out. unfortunately it seems its a forgone conclusion now when it goes to planning in June.

Of course they would vote because they mistakenly believe this will take the traffic off the Belmont Road so making their lives so much better and buggar the people who are going to be affected by the traffic that normally takes the Belmont Road.  

I think these 2 might as well join up with the Cons they are more con than indie that is for sure..

The Phil Edwards who took the Jess out in his lorry yesterday to judge the traffic is that a different Phil Edward to this one?

Yes, the Phil Edwards who suppose to represent Newton Farm (I say that because he spends all his time sat on a mower cutting the grass in Belmont where he lives) doesn't own a lorry and wouldn't be seen dead in one, he drives a car with personalised number plates.

I don't see what your quote about P Edwards and his number plate has to do with anything.