Old Market Car Park Prices Announced

GDJ please where is this letter?    "p.s.  The chaotic letter section on the Hereford Times website has a letter from Ted Willmott thank us all for our patience - apparently there will be 1100 new jobs!  The Hereford Times has given the letter the headline "Headline""

Found it now!

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/letters/11187168.Headline/

More interesting, to me anyway, was this letter ...

Sorry state of affairs

OVER the past few months I have noticed many changes in our town, such as there are overgrown plants and weeds everywhere.

Also I am very disappointed to see no flowers on roundabouts this year.

I do not see why my parents should pay money for nothing to be improved. I think the council needs to think wisely about spending money on things and whether they will be necessary.

I am also very upset to hear that several complaints about an overflowing drain at Elton’s Marsh, Canon Pyon Road.

It has not been fixed after people have complained.

There are obviously many people that are disgusted and so am I.

Potholes are everywhere too and there will be serious accidents if they are not filled. Thank you for reading my letter.

NADIA DOUTHWAITE, age 10, Elton’s Marsh, Canon Pyon Road

Hereford Times

Well, well, I stand corrected - I've just read in my modestly priced HT that, contrary to what they've been saying for ages now, the Council don't get all the parking revenue. Council telling porkies - who'd have thought it.

Apparently, they keep 92.5% of revenue from 153 spaces out of 604. The rest goes to Stanhope. They keep the Garrick house revenue. So, the whole thing an even worse deal than previously thought.

Apparently, they keep 92.5% of revenue from 153 spaces out of 604. The rest goes to Stanhope. They keep the Garrick house revenue. So, the whole thing an even worse deal than previously thought.

Not clear how this works? 153 spaces out of 604 spaces is 25.3% and the council is getting 92% revenue from these spaces. Are these spaces designated ones. And if they are, I bet those spaces are on top of the car park or at the furthest point from the shops. But still cannot see how it is going to work. Let's say the OLM is full and takes £10,000 in a day. The council will get 25% of this from their designated spaces ie £2500 and then taking 92% of this £2500 end up with £2300. If the car spaces are empty they get £92% of nothing.

Report says ' parking has been divided into two phases, the first of which is owned by British Land and the second Herefordshire Council. There will be 604 spaces, including the Waitrose multi-storey. Of these, 153 are within the phase two Herefordshire Council area. The council can retain 92.5%of income from phase two ...'

I'm guessing that logically the ground level spaces would be the Council ones, as they're talking about 'ownership'.

I wish HT would interrogate these press releases a little further rather than just reproducing them.

But when you go to the parking machine, how will they know which section you parked in? 

Maybe they should pick out the council parking spaces in a colour, so that at least the customers can make sure their parking fee gets back to the council and not the developers - although there is little between them. 

The Council do not run or get the income from the car parking at the Old Market

I think you need to do a bit more homework, the council do receive a proportion of revenue from some of the parking at the Old Market. I was informed of this today, unofficially.

• 1 month later...

BBC H&W Radio today:

A council made more than £46,300 in a year by not giving change to motorists in its car parks.

A Freedom of Information request showed Herefordshire Council made the money between April 2013 and February 2014 as drivers "overpaid" at its machines.

It claimed replacing the machines with ones that give change would be impractical and cost too much.

The council said the income from car parks was a "really important part" of revenue for its wider spending.

Herefordshire councillor Paul Roan stated: "We're talking about almost a million transactions per year... we have 60 pay machines across the whole county and to replace all those would be an awful lot of money."

In total, with car park charges and overpayments, in 2009-10 the council made £800,000. This had increased to £1.56m in 2012-13.

Another Freedom of Information request, in March, showed Cornwall Council made more than £300,000 in overpaid car parking fees.

Philip Gomm, from the RAC Foundation, said: "This is effectively drivers being penalised when they're trying to do the right thing.

"I think it's wrong that councils should be able to hold on to so much money."

Herefordshire Council started a phone payment system in January 2013, whereby drivers could pay for parking via their mobile phones instead of using cash, with a typical additional charge of between 20 and 40p.

That will pay the leader of the council his allowances for the year.

I have corrected the above for you! :)

The table shows the total sum paid by Herefordshire Council to each Member of the Council for the period 1 April 2013 to 31 March 2014 in respect of Basic Allowance, Special Responsibility Allowance, Travel and Subsistence Expenses and ICT and Consumables Allowance. 

Cllr A W Johnson 
Basic Allowance £7,244.04 
Special Responsibility Allowance £30,315.71 
Travelling & Subsistence £3,895.20 
ICT & Consumables £0.00 
Total £41,454.95

By the way:
Committee meetings are usually held in the council chamber at Brockington, 35 Hafod Road, Hereford HR1 1SH.
Brockington has a pay and display car park. The car park charges are: 

Up to 1 hour 20p
Up to 3 hours 40p
Up to 5 hours 60p
Over 5 hours £1

Do they give change here?

There are loads of cycle parking spaces, some under cover and some open, around the edge of the ground level car park. I am not aware of any cycle cages though

The ones in the road I believe are not intended to be for cycles - they are protection for the trees, although if anything other than a bike goes off course then will offer little real protection!

The ones in the road I believe are not intended to be for cycles - they are protection for the trees, although if anything other than a bike goes off course then will offer little real protection!

I don't know what they are there for but they appear to be similar to the Bridge Street sign that got flattened with a nudge ... Pic from the other thread ... 

post-859-0-12541900-1398960618.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
There are loads of cycle parking spaces, some under cover and some open, around the edge of the ground level car park.

Thanks. I'll have a better look next time I'm passing through :)

Ref the ones in the middle of the road, iirc, the schematics and designs released showed them as being bike lockups