Thorntons Hereford Closing

H.Wilson

That is a shame, old high street name going, and another empty premises in town. However, the writing's been on the wall for them for a long time. They diluted their brand some time ago, when they started selling on supermarket shelves.

Weird. Just yesterday I was given a Thornton's chocolate bunny as a gift and I asked if they bought it from Thornton's itself and they said no it was from Sainsbury's and I asked if Thornton's was even still in town and no one seemed to know and I said if it was then it probably wouldn't be for much longer and then this happens a day later. I'm sorry guys, I cursed it.

As a business Thorntons offering their products on super mkt shelves was probably a wise move , they could close most shops and still do well. Times change and the same has happened to other products inc the dry cleaners that was there and Argos of course

. Simply placing the product where the public shop. No consolation to those losing their jobs . I can't remember the last time I went to Eign gate let alone Thorntons . 

It amazes me why people moan about shops closing when it's their fault in the first place.

Not seen anyone moaning in this thread only people saying it is a shame however, I think in this instance it is possibly Thorntons fault for supplying the supermarkets, so many of us are still buying Thorntons, just not from their shops.

How is it people's fault that shops are closing?

For not shopping in them I guess but that said, I get fed up of going into shops not finding my size clothes and being told by staff 'oh you can order online', they keep saying **** like that and they too will have no jobs! 

Well, that would rather suggest that Thortons have made a strategic decision to access a much bigger clientele by supplying major chain grocers and at the same time save on their wages and overheads costs by ditching their high street shops. Ferrero International SA, based in Luxembourg, own them so I can't imagine the share price has been rocked by the Hereford closure. I'm more saddened by the loss of independent local stores myself.

For not shopping in them I guess but that said, I get fed up of going into shops not finding my size clothes and being told by staff 'oh you can order online', they keep saying **** like that and they too will have no jobs! 

I completely agree, this really annoys me too.