I can think of a few heads to go on those pikes!

Another great set of pics Megilleland. I can now see why thousands of folk will flock here. It's breathtaking! I feel such a fool now for ever having any reservations about this project.

It truly is a sight to behold.

Just a few finishing touches needed.....maybe a couple of hanging baskets to distract the eye from the salty walls, the roadworks, the on going construction, the dust, dirt and noise.....

Hanging baskets are brilliant for that sort of thing.....honestly!!

Yes, its all worked out wonderfully well......

What's with all the vile wood planks all down the side Edgar Street side? Did they get all this wood from the tree's that were chopped down...Oh did I actually just say that  :Vault: 

It's all going to go grey or black in colour within a year or so and look terrible! Have a look at the back of the Courtyard Theatre and also the Premier Inn near Sainsbury's, why on earth did they not make it look like the other side by the cinema at least that looks half modern.  :Angry: 

• 1 month later...

The Council tweeted a link to their website today ...

We expect around 15,000 to 20,000 visitors to Old Market on 1 May. For those planning to travel inside the city, walking and cycling is recommended....

We appreciate that many people in Herefordshire will need to travel by car, however, we do anticipate higher traffic volumes on the opening day. With large visitor numbers anticipated, car parks on the Old Market site may become full.

Herefordshire Council

20,000 seems a lot. That's approximately a third of the City. Taking a bicycle is not practical either if you are going to Waitrose for a food shop.

heh I saw a waitrose van out on delivery today.

Traffic has been great today around the OLM - they've changed the light times again to MUCH longer than before and it's made a HUGE difference. Great bit of marketing ploy there council, well done. Just a shame they wouldnt/didnt do it previously.

That said, it still took me 10 minutes to get from the Broadleys to the OLM and a further 10 minutes from the OLM to B&Q. Southbound was less than moderate. Coming back, I got up Edgar street in about 60 seconds and that included 1 set of red lights!

Hinton road has been chocka with cars parked, making access through there a bit difficult also.

Obviously there are a lot of factors involved here, the weather creates busier times in town, the river carnival moves crowds to other areas. But if they can keep those traffic lights as they are, things should be looking up!

Only time will tell.

Traffic has been great today around the OLM - they've changed the light times again to MUCH longer than before and it's made a HUGE difference. Great bit of marketing ploy there council, well done. Just a shame they wouldnt/didnt do it previously.

I came south down Edgar Street at about 4pm today and in fairness the traffic was not at all bad. I drove past that massive vertical Debenhams sign but was then held up by the roundabout lights. What did surprise me was that a crowd of uniformed Debenhams staff were immediately outside their rear fire exit door either stood on the pavement, or slouched on the exit step, smoking cigarettes.

They may well have been on authorised breaks, and probably were, but I just thought it gave the wrong impression to whoever was in that queue of traffic a few feet away on the A49. It could give the impression of idleness. They need to relocate that smoking area to somewhere more sensible. I told Debenhams this by way of feedback on their Twitter account which was acknowledged in the spirit in which the info. was given.

What did surprise me was that a crowd of uniformed Debenhams staff were immediately outside their rear fire exit door either stood on the pavement, or slouched on the exit step, smoking cigarettes.

They may well have been on authorised breaks, and probably were, but I just thought it gave the wrong impression to whoever was in that queue of traffic a few feet away on the A49. It could give the impression of idleness. They need to relocate that smoking area to somewhere more sensible.

Oh wow - bit of a busybody arnt you!

What impression would it give? Some of the staff smoke? Wow - if they are jess Phillips friends maybe there will be a report in it in next weeks Hereford times!

I'm sure it won't stop people from shopping there because some staff have a *** - probably need one after dealing with difficult customers who like to give feedback to shops that their staff "slouch" whilst smoking.

What did surprise me was that a crowd of uniformed Debenhams staff were immediately outside their rear fire exit door either stood on the pavement, or slouched on the exit step, smoking cigarettes.

They may well have been on authorised breaks, and probably were, but I just thought it gave the wrong impression to whoever was in that queue of traffic a few feet away on the A49. It could give the impression of idleness. They need to relocate that smoking area to somewhere more sensible.

Oh wow - bit of a busybody arnt you!

What impression would it give? Some of the staff smoke? Wow - if they are jess Phillips friends maybe there will be a report in it in next weeks Hereford times!

I'm sure it won't stop people from shopping there because some staff have a *** - probably need one after dealing with difficult customers who like to give feedback to shops that their staff "slouch" whilst smoking.

Just a bad advert for this 'prestige' store I thought. I'm not a busybody! I just drove past the situation! I think you are just trying to pick a row! ... :-) 

Traffic around town on the first Saturday of it being open was fantastic. 
No hold ups - free flowing. 

To be fair, it's down to the council changing the lights to coincide with the opening of the OLM, underhanded, yet clever, ploy. 

I was driving on the inner ring road, down Newmarket Street, today and I couldn't help but notice Costa Coffee ... The outdoor seating area is admittedly a 'suntrap' in good weather (and it was full today) ... but what you see whilst sat there is not great ...

costa.jpg

That's the current image from google 'street view' and I know it's out of date, as the area has been remodelled, but I'm pretty sure you just get a view of the traffic ... 

Anyone used it and can recommend it's current location? 

I was driving on the inner ring road, down Newmarket Street, today and I couldn't help but notice Costa Coffee ... The outdoor seating area is admittedly a 'suntrap' in good weather (and it was full today) ... but what you see whilst sat there is not great ...

That's the current image from google 'street view' and I know it's out of date, as the area has been remodelled, but I'm pretty sure you just get a view of the traffic ... 

Anyone used it and can recommend it's current location? 

I was thinking the same thing the other day. Plus you get to take in the traffic fumes and noise. The whole OLM development is strangled by traffic, that passing by on Edgar Street, and its shoppers' cars parked on acres of tarmac. Hardly a quiet oasis to enjoy and relax in.

• Guests
Guest maadlove7

Saturday is not the day to judge traffic on, specially as most of the city seemed to be at the River Carnival ... Traffic was jammed as usual on friday in the usual places and the lights didn't seem much better tuesday when I recorded another video,.... yes Costa chose their site for extra toxins in your coffee :-)

Nothing in the new centre I would want, not that can't be bought cheaper elsewhere anywhere.

• 1 year later...

I see from The Council website that The Beefy Boys (of burger fame) have applied for a licence for Pavillion 3 at The Old Market. To run from 9 Sept. 2015.

They want authority, between 0700 - 0200, to play music and supply food/alcohol in a Restaurant setting with outdoor seating. To include allowing people to take food/drink off the premises.

Licensing Application

I'm not entirely sure where Pavillion 3 is but someone here will know ... 

I see from The Council website that The Beefy Boys (of burger fame) have applied for a licence for Pavillion 3 at The Old Market. To run from 9 Sept. 2015.

They want authority, between 0700 - 0200, to play music and supply food/alcohol in a Restaurant setting with outdoor seating. To include allowing people to take food/drink off the premises.

Licensing Application

I'm not entirely sure where Pavillion 3 is but someone here will know ... 

And I will still not step a foot in the place.

I doubt I ever will .... I have an affinity to the Historic core .... 

To be honest, there is very little reason to go into the city centre, with more shops closing and less choice, it is sometimes better to get things online.

Looking for some slippers and do you think I could find anything decent in the city centre? someone did say about shoezone, I forgot about them, I will have a look when I next go into town.

Yesterday the city centre was full of stalls about caring or that sort of thing, found it hard to move around, not really the place for a load of stalls, certainly not on the school holidays. The open market I have no problem with as they are not blocking the who9le of high town.

As for the old Market, The restaurants I have little interest in, i went into Mcdonalds yesterday for the first time for 35 years, i doubt i will step in there for another 35 years. I may have a coffee in town if I am in town with mates and that is ti.

To be honest if I am by myself, I just go into town, get what I want and get out as quick as possible.

Hereford don't do anything for me any more

Its a sad state of affairs yes, but I'm sure they chose the OLM for a commercial reason knowing they will get far more footfall. As for high town, until it is rejuvenated and the council make a substantial  effort to attract businesses and investment to high town, I do not blame any business for choosing the OLM instead.