Great Western Way - Do You Feel Safe Along Here?

Colin James

Back in the summer of 2010, I requested more lighting and more police patrols along the GWW Hereford as a few people had expressed how scary it was walking home. 

Councillor Adrian Bridges said this a year later in November 2011:

I raised the garage issue to Herefordshire Housing. Paul Kennedy has written back to me personally and confirmed that Herefordshire Housing has committed £340,000 in next years budget. This will ensure as necessary they will upgrade and rapair the garages / other building and if required demolish any of these that are considered unsafe.

We are now half way through 2013??? So was this followed up Mr Bridges? I asked Adrain again over a year later from the very same discussion:

We are almost at the end of 2012 now Adrian, the assurances you gave above have not emerged so far with only a few months left in this years budget...

22Hunderton01_480_Landscape.jpg
(image courtesy of Hereford Times)

NOTHING! Was ever done and we have seen several attacks over the past months, I notice that the Hereford Times has run a feature this week to highlight this issue once again and have suggested that most people still feel safe in Hereford in this article as you will see from the large amount of comments on the HT website this is not what is being said.

I also gave my opinion within that debate and still feel the same. All the tree's and bushes need drastically cutting back and heights reduced, letting in more light and removing hidden area's where you could be attacked away from the main footpath. More police patrols and extra lighting are a MUST along here.

How long ago were people requesting these? JOKE! It's no wonder members of the public are being attacked and no longer feel safe along here. :Thumbs-Down:

I have re-tweeted this topic.

Councillor Powell, For the love of God, don't pick up the phone, get the job done and cause any further distress to those who don't share your work ethic.

If you must do something, write letters here, there and every bloody where, arrange a meeting, invite the great and the good and talk about it endlessly untill we all forget it was ever a problem.

I'd respectfully urge everyone that contributes to these pages to urge our Glenda to keep her head down and do nothing. Do absolutely nothing that helps our communities at all!

Due to the recent incidents along here, I have contacted Herefordshire Housing Paula Kennedy (not Paul), Herefordshire Council and Amey, they will all received my correspondence tomorrow, I will wait towards the end of week (due to my being on Holiday)

If not heard by then will phone them on Friday.

I have within the last half hour received an email from Paula Kennedy. She confirms that she did quote a sum of £340,000 for ALL garages belonging to HHL to have worked done to them, and that the garages backing onto the GWW were a priority. She also advised me that this garage area has been demolished of ALL garages and the area cleared.I will check this out today.

I received an answer from Amey to my request for the trees and bushes to be cut right back. A grounds

supervisor will meet on site with a sub contractor and myself by the end of the month to discuss works needed to be carried out. The grounds supervisor is confident on what works need doing, budget allowing.

I received an answer from Amey to my request for the trees and bushes to be cut right back. A grounds
supervisor will meet on site with a sub contractor and myself by the end of the month to discuss works needed to be carried out. The grounds supervisor is confident on what works need doing, budget allowing.

It all needs cutting back in my opinion. :Thumbs-Up:

• 3 weeks later...

I have today received the date of the GWW inspection that I requested for trees, undergrowth to be cut right back and new lighting, I am meeting with two officers on Tuesday 2nd July on the GWW.

Glenda, I hope they walk the whole length of the GWW around the bridge near Sainsburys and especially from the Belmont Road bridge all the way up past Frome Ave and along the top end near the academy, the whole lots needs drastically cutting right back, you will be surprised at just how overgrown it has become.

The site inspection went as planned,Officers and I walked the whole length of the GWW from Newton Farm to Sainsbury's exact details of work to be carried out per my request will be finalised this week, I will post again at weekend with further details, the work will commence on 15th July as there are electric cabling work being carried out at the moment.

GWW work I requested as per inspector instructions from our site visit:

Commencing on the 15th July for one week.

Actions/updates:-

. Hedges and vegetation to be flail back from Herefordshire Housing land - to Sainsbury bridge.

. Tree team to cut back lower/thicker branches up to 4 metres.

. Litter pick whole area on Friday 19th July.

. I have spoken to and email Peter Harris (Amey street Lighting Manager) about the issue you raised

regarding further lighting he will reply to you in due course.

. I raised the issue Colin suggested about about CCTV camera's at Thursday parks meeting, and apparently this is being

discussed with a new property development and money will be set aside as part of a s106 agreement to

provide CCTV.

. The electric cabling being installed will provide power to the Edgar Street Grid, the work started in

Hoarwithy road and will run along the GWW toward Edgar Street. The work has been agreed under a

section 50 licence.

Having spoken with the officer in regard to the s106 money I have been advised that the developer has not released the money (£17,000) but this will not cover the money for camera's running cost, I was advised this money will be for CCTV on the GWW.I have told her to go to the police commissioner and asked him for the rest of the funding needed . I have been invited back to see the work that has been carried out to my satisfaction on either Monday or Tuesday the following week.

• 2 years later...

You only have to go to the WMP Website to see what resources are allocated to Hereford City Southside and Rural after this recent Murder. For Neighbourhood style Policing. If you filter out the supervisors (as they've generally got paperwork to deal with.) .... and the CSO's as they are just coat hangers to bicycle around in a yellow jacket. You are left with one PC. 

• 5 weeks later...

Did this work ever get done? Any tree's bushes cut back? Was extra lighting ever installed? I don't think it was and this was orginally being discussed over 5 years ago now! How many more assaults or murders have to happen before anything is done? 

Not by the seem of things.