I told you it would get worse!

megilleland

Things are steadily getting worse on Hereford's estates with not much activity on the ground.

post-109-0-13514600-1431682600.jpg

Here on Newton Farm not only are Herefordshire Housing cutting the bulk of the grass, but also the Council's agents (used to be Amey and now Balfour Beatty), and in the case of our street, we pay a service charge for Muir Group Housing to cut the grass and keep the area tidy. 

There is no co-ordination between these bodies, so some grass gets cut and other areas are left to be cut at a later date. This results in an unkempt appearance and local residents not knowing who is responsible for which piece of land. There are pieces of land which have never been cut this year. The problems around the electricity sub-station in Sherborne Close still continue, with fly tipping amd split rubbish bags spewing their contents over the pavements every weekend. Not much hope of anything been done as this has been occuring and visible to anyone passing through this area since the first post here in June 2010.

This lack of co-ordination and co-operation to maintain our estates goes back to 2002 when the council handed over most of our green, open spaces to Herefordshire Housing and other Registered Social Landlords, when they got rid of their housing stock. Since then and several recessions later we were told these alterations and efficiency savings would benefit us the council tax payers and be easier to manage in the future. As we can now see this way of working has failed. There should be one contractor to cover the whole area by adopting all the open space. Balfour Beatty having got their £200 million contract with the council, and possibly a phone line connected in the near future, things could be different, but I doubt it.

So, come on Councillors, what are you going to do about it? This is OUR money going to shareholders outside the County - everyone was sick to death of Amey and you've walked us into what is already looking like an even worse scenario! How can this possibly have happened?

Couldn't agree with you more Two Wheels. The amounts of money involved are absolutely staggering - yet we seem to get very little for it!

They must be laughing all the way to the bank! And what a wheeze having no 'phone number, I bet the person who thought of that got himself a bonus!

• 3 months later...

Following the black wheelie bins for Hereford topic and posts here, I thought I would add some photos taken today on my way back from work.

post-2-0-14857400-1395088637.jpgpost-2-0-89708100-1395088682.jpgpost-2-0-73104400-1395088663.jpgpost-2-0-53876700-1395088694.jpgpost-2-0-88711200-1395088708.jpg

Have we got to live with this squalor or are the local authorities going to get their act together and sort it out. Unfortunately judging by the previous posts here I don't think anyone is interested.

I wonder if you went to the local schools, and asked staff if they knew a group of children called, Tommo, Cerys, Shane,Jodie, Max and Seano?

If they suspect these children belong to their school, I think a school outing should be on the cards! Scrub the walls clean, and pick up some litter whilst they are there!

It's infuriating, when community groups and individuals take the time to try to clean up Hereford, and mindless fly tipping and graffiti just appears somewhere else.

This is disgusting, this has been going on far too long now, can they not monitor the area with CCTV or something and catch these people?

Where do you think the CCTV extends to Colin? ... On a serious note there is a Council Public Protection Unit I think .... What are they doing? What are they focusing on? I hope it's not on people dropping a stray *** end when the problem is something like that minging mattress ! 

^^^ My post also got auto censored for using the term #f*g ... ludicrous! ;-)

Clout litter, not cannabis

I WAS amused to read your report about the cannabis factory found in Bromyard.

A number of countries have now decriminalised all drugs, let alone cannabis, and in several US states the sale of cannabis is a legitimate trade.

The police spokesman said that the operation would prevent a large quantity of cannabis reaching the streets.

There might be a temporary and slight increase in price but the demand will soon be met from elsewhere.

Compared with alcohol and tobacco the damage done by cannabis is minimal.

The cost to the NHS of alcohol and tobacco-related illnesses and behaviour is astronomical.

When the government’s own scientific adviser pointed out the illogicality of the law he was sacked.

Littering is a criminal offence, with a maximum penalty of £2,500.

Local authorities can impose fixed penalties of between £50 and £80.

Occasionally people are fined £80 on the spot for dropping a cigarette butt, but all too rarely.

It would be good to see a zero-tolerance campaign against littering, and I would have thought that, at least in the short term, this would raise some money.

Litter is not just unsightly but can be harmful to wildlife, especially in rivers, lakes and the sea.

In some countries you see virtually no litter, so this is not some unattainable goal.

And while we’re at it, why is England fast becoming the only country not to charge for plastic bags?

Ireland has done so for years and the number of bags used has decreased enormously.

Is the reason the existence of a powerful lobby on behalf of the manufacturers because a massive drop in packaging can only be good for the environment.

A litter campaign could be injected with some humour; years ago in Sydney I noted anti-litter posters advising “Don’t be a tosser.â€

JOSEPH COCKER Castlefields Leominster

• 3 months later...

Just been outside and passed through Sherborne Close/ Brewardine Close and this is what you see:

post-2-0-44203300-1403603587.jpg

Glenda this is the area behind Sherborne Close electricity sub-station. I believe the council should be cutting this area, but if not Herefordshire Housing have missed it.

As usual the fly tipping is carrying on and is being dumped behind the sub-station and also in this long grass.

post-2-0-09892100-1403603611.jpg

post-2-0-63360300-1403603624_thumb.jpg

Noted today that the waste bins in Muir Close have been emptied, but this rubbish dumped by the bin, has been left. A lot of people are dumping items beside these bins across the city. These two items have been here for over a week.

post-2-0-74382000-1403603634.jpg

As I keep saying there is no co-ordinated plan in this city by the council or Balfour Beatty to keep it tidy. Gdj points out the same concern in post 269 and a lot of confusion has been caused by the lack of an adoption policy between HC, developers and Housing Associations resulting in parcels of land getting cut and not getting cut.

• 6 months later...
Still no progress since June 2010. The problem persists and no one is interested in sorting it out. Maybe they need a Director of Rubbish on £100,000 a year to draw up a plan to prevent this happening or maybe employ a few consultants.

The answer is to supply large bins so that the residents can put their bags in them - simple yes? That took me about 2 minutes to work out and only 39p of my time.

post-2-0-61808400-1420381196.jpg

post-2-0-32025000-1420381211.jpg

post-2-0-73746800-1420381231_thumb.jpg

Megilleland, you know that this area is inspected more than anywhere else on the estate, you also know this rubbish is down to one family living in Sherborne Close. I have reported the area to HHL, and the rubbish will be collected on Tuesday. Whilst I was delivering my newsletter I notice some of Sherborne Close is in a un-tidy and dirty state I have also brought this to the attention of HHL. There has been many tidy ups since June 2010 as you know but this tenant and the family doesn't care, this is up to HHL to do something about it! because I am tired of reporting this almost on a weekly basis.

Hello Glenda. I didn't know this rubbish is down to one family. I find this hard to believe. The bags are put out gradually, always days ahead of the collection. What if they had a black bin supplied, they wouldn't be able to get more than 4 bags in it. If the family is known, what about prosecuting them for fly tipping?

Yes there have been many tidy ups following complaints, but that isn't the answer to the problem, big bins are.

This has been going on far to long in my mind .

I find these photographs a real disgrace wether it's one family or more . It appears to me , that a number of people in well paid jobs are failing in their responsibility . Surley if it's one family causing this health hazard action should be taken against them and if they are residing in a Housing Association house/ flat as tenants they must be in breach of their agreement , so evicted them and give the house to a more deserving family. If it's more than one family breaching their agreement do the same to them .

I have said the same to HHL, unfortunately the estates manager isn't very good I have reported untidy gardens, hedges over the pathway and still nothing is done, I am sure if I did the same I would receive a letter, but people ignore them. Once upon a time you were given two chances and the third letter was an eviction order, but HHL doesn't follow it through and haven't done for years, so the tenants just ignore the letters and carry on with leaving their gardens a mess. It was the same six months ago  I brought to their attention five households smoking cannabis, I was told if we evicted everyone who smoked it half of our properties would be empty there is no deterrent anymore, and the same with the police they do nothing about cannabis either.

These pictures really are awful.

I would hate to live next to that.

If I lived next door, I think I would be sending photos to The Hereford Times.

I know, Megilleland, that you go out litter picking. You have community spirit, and take pride in where you live. If only that could be instilled in others.

As you say, clean up after clean up hasn't helped. Whether one family, or several families, their actions are impacting on other residents in a very visible and negative way.

If their behaviour can't/won't change....then maybe a little tough love is necessary???

There is now such a mess in Sherborne Close you can't work out, from the rubbish left, whether the bags were put out on the wrong day or the binmen couldn't decide what to take or leave. I think it is getting very close to a private prosecution being made. Could Mark Willmot give any advice on what is an acceptable standard that we council tax payers can expect? I assume that individuals (tenants) are responsible for disposing their household rubbish from a specific point and manner, as laid down by their registered social landlord regulations, and collected in a satisfactory and safe manner without health risk to the public by the council. As no one sees it as their responsibility to do something to stop this problem, it looks as if a direction from a court hearing is the only way forward.

By co-incidence litter was discussed yesterday by the 

Witnesses

Cherry Lewis-Taylor, McDonald's Franchisee, McDonald's Restaurants Ltd, Giles Roca, Director General, Tobacco Manufacturers Association, and David Sedaris, author, broadcaster and campaigner on litter

Jane Bickerstaffe, Director, Industry Council for Research on Packaging and the Environment, Jacob Hayler, Executive Director, Environmental Services Association, Martin Kersh, Executive Director, Foodservice Packaging Association, and Alex West, Senior Manager for Corporate Affairs, the Wrigley Company Ltd

The Committee held the first oral evidence session of its inquiry into litter and fly-tipping on Tuesday 25 November. In this session the Committee examined trends in litter and fly-tipping, local responses to these problems and the adequacy of legislation relating to litter and fly-tipping.

Witnesses

4.15pm:

Samantha Harding, Campaign Manager, Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE) (Submission 69)

George Monck, Chief Executive, CleanupUK (Submission 66)

Mick Wright, Former Head of Waste Management, Luton Borough Council (Submission 25)

5.00pm:

Sean Lawson, Head of Environmental Services, Rugby Borough Council (Submission 75)

Shaun Morley, Head of Waste Management, London Borough of Wandsworth (Submission 41)

Considering the regular points covered there is no mention of local authority black bag collections adding to the problem.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

I would like to point out that Herefordshire Housing should not ever condone the use of drugs and littering in any of their properties or their surrounds, especially now that the law has been tightened up even further The Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policiing Act 2014

http://www.southkesteven.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2137

Herefordshire Housing do seek Anti-Social Behaviour Injunctions against tenants and they have been  successful in obtaining at least two eviction orders that I know of...they have even resulted in someone being jailed for breaching an ASBI

http://www.compactlaw.co.uk/free-legal-information/public-housing/housing-injunctions.html

http://birminghamnewsroom.com/2014/09/council-tenant-evicted-after-years-of-drug-abuse/

If you want to report your concerns to me I will make sure they are dealt with and I would strongly suggest you complain in writing to Herefordshire Housing as they will be forced to act.

Having spoken to HHL again on Tuesday in regard to the state of Sherborne Close area, since reporting this before Christmas (see post 14) I have been advised again today that HHL estate manager, and waste management are working together on this matter, also tenants responsible are all being contacted that they will face a fine between £80 - £100 every time they fly-tip in Sherborne Close.  I have suggested that HHL could take the large wheelie bins from the flats in the Oval area that are empty and place them in Sherborne close, that is thought to be a good idea.

This is deplorable. It seems to me a lot of 'managers' are talking to each other but little or nothing is being achieved on the ground - 'twas ever thus in public service, but we are repeatedly told we have to pay serious salaries to get the best people for the job, which we do. Time for them to do the job they are well paid for. How hard can it be to get a team down there and deep clean it?

you also know this rubbish is down to one family living in Sherborne Close.

What is being done about this? If the family have kids' then you can't evict them onto the streets ... Obviously this unacceptable situation has to be addressed ... 

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Hi Rodger.....let me assure you when it comes to anti social behaviour such as this and when someone's caught committing small scale crime including drug possession Herefordshire Housing will seek possession even when the wife and child were unaware....

I hae worked with a family where they are evicting the mum and daughter who who is under 13 because of the behaviour of the Dad..miss called collective punishment and it is taking place as we speak...

Great if your a hang em high kind of guy....nand like to see crime being dealt with whatever the cost to the innocent

What is being done about this? If the family have kids' then you can't evict them onto the streets ... Obviously this unacceptable situation has to be addressed ... 

This would be a last resort i'm sure but if this is down to one family then as CVP has said they have a tenant responsibility to abide with too. I love the way that HH is almost being called the bad guy here. Give them a warning, stop treading on bloody egg shells with these people, put up some temporary CCTV and lets see if the situation improves, obviously some people need baby siting before they get the message! It's clearly this street, it's not happening in any other streets to this degree so this needs to be dealt with in my opinion.

Spoke to Herefordshire Housing this afternoon and was told the matter was being looked into and that they thought they had the problem under control. I told them that no-one had been to look at the rubbish as they would have been shocked at the mess. The neighbourhood manager is going to call me next week. Meanwhile the rubbish is flying around  the area in the strong winds and there are babies nappies over the footpath. 

The mattress is still a feature along the Great Western Way and the bins between ALDI and the Courtyard are all over-flowing. Maybe Balfour Beatty start work next week? Other parts of the city are also a disgrace.

Megilleland see my post 22, I have also gone back again to HHL today about another area, at the same time asking for an update on Sherborne Close and like yourself was told the matter is being looked into. I have also sent an email to BBLP about the mattress, a three piece suite and road works signs that had been not picked up after the road works in Treago Grove and Marcle walk. I await their replies.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

You need to report it to Environmental Health and you could seek a Community Protection Order against Herefordshire Housing...

Talking on here is the easy part...now you need to take direct action...it works

Hi Rodger.....let me assure you when it comes to anti social behaviour such as this and when someone's caught committing small scale crime including drug possession Herefordshire Housing will seek possession even when the wife and child were unaware....

I hae worked with a family where they are evicting the mum and daughter who who is under 13 because of the behaviour of the Dad..miss called collective punishment and it is taking place as we speak...

Great if your a hang em high kind of guy....nand like to see crime being dealt with whatever the cost to the innocent

You have been absent for a while! Are you in a recognised position to speak on behalf of people? Or are you just helping out?