Prefab Bungalows in Beattie Ave to be Demolished

Hereford Voice

Hereford Housing have submitted plans for the proposed demolition of 41 existing (prefab bungalows) in Beattie Avenue Hereford.
5aa2de130bfe0_BeattieAveHereford.thumb.png.f81ed6fb4b6dcf540d378d39d097f43c.png

Construction of 71 bungalows and houses with associated parking, private amenity, access and alterations to highway.
5aa2de53f1edd_ProposedPlansBeattieAve.thumb.png.0d67942e463ba65e687c630ba52558bf.png

An extract from the Hereford Housing website reads:

The decision has been taken to redevelop the prefabs on Beattie Avenue (story here). These prefabs weren't designed to last, the past 30 years have been a compromise between the costs of sustaining the properties vs the costs to redevelop them. The time when we need to consider the latter has come. At this stage no plans other than the decision to redevelop has been made.

Application P180694/F

Work is scheduled to begin as soon as May.

145 car parking spaces should add a little character to the scheme. Is Beattie Avenue to still be a through route for estate traffic? I doubt it with the chicane in the middle with parking spaces. So a lot of traffic will be entering the estate via Hunderton Road under the old railway bridge.

Beattie Avenue.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

The prefabricated bungalows in Beattie Avenue Hereford will soon just become a pile of rubble once the demolition work begins.

77013130_BeattieAve.thumb.jpg.0aef305ef74247fe20081fd90053720a.jpg

Hereford Voice previously reported on plans submitted by Hereford Housing back in March of 2018 in this topic for the proposed demolition of 41 existing (prefab bungalows) in Beattie Avenue Hereford and the subsequent construction of 71 bungalows and houses with associated parking, private amenity, access and alterations to highway.

1239706554_BeattieAve2.thumb.jpg.d7af49bdabc746da732ea5c7cb992ad9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It is a great pity these prefabs are being demolished the people living there loved them, some living there since they were built. like the Oval  development the new properties were to replace what had been demolished and for the tenants, that did not happen, because Keepmoat wanted half of what was built to sell as part of the contract to build. I have seen the original development plans and they have been changed surprise, surprise ! instead of total replacement of all 41 prefabs. I have been told there are 16 bungalows, the rest are houses to sell. I hope these new properties don't have the same development  faults as the Oval has.

None of them are for open market sale. There will be;

20 x Social Rent, 17 x Affordable Rents , 17 x Shared Ownership, 17 Rent to Buy.

Of these, 18 will be bungalows (1, 2 and 3 bed), 47 will be houses (2 and 3 bed) and 6 'OT Units' (bungalows, whatever OT may be).

Original tenants will be offered new properties.

At least, that is the plan ...

That is a different planning application to what I've seen, admittedly that was last year, it seems with the delay another application is being considered. As for offering the bungalows to the original tenants  all but a few were moved out to various locations across Herefordshire, I believe there are only a few of the original tenants still in situ because they refused to move into the country.

No the application I saw was for 74 bungalows 1 & 2 bedrooms, the gardens on the right hand side were very big and HHL was going to take the back gardens to make an access road and build bungalows in the other half to make up the other 30 bungalows and narrow the road at front to stop the racing down Beattie Avenue.

I saw the proposed application for Beattie Ave at a meeting with HHL, then everything went quiet, I then found out there was a problem with Keepmoat at the Oval development not paying their workforce from Wales, the worked stopped for 3 months, hence the delay of completing the Oval. As the original application for the Oval was scrapped because Keepmoat wanted a percentage of the houses to sell., and the application was changed. It looks like that's what has happened again at Beattie Ave

Due to the front page story in HT, having read it I rang HHL Sharon Rivers she said.... there is no plan submitted and Keepmoat will not be the builder, it will go out to tender once the planning application goes in front of planning committee and accepted. In the meantime the prefabs will have a cover put over each prefab, the sheds will be pulled down, and the rats situation will be dealt with, I asked her what the timescale is for all this work to commence she said hopefully in two weeks. I asked her was she aware of the story in HT, she said yes, and they have received many phone call , including mine today.

On 11/05/2019 at 00:56, Glenda Powell said:

It is a great pity these prefabs are being demolished the people living there loved them

They loved them as it was a roof and what they were used to. The structures were past there sell buy date. I don't know the age of the residents' but if they are old they probably don't need disruption. 

Roger... the people range from 50 to 85 with three of them disabled in wheelchairs, there was a family with disabled teenager and the bungalow had to be extended to the rear of the property, some needing 24 hr care. The prefabs are 60 years old but they were well maintained and spacious inside, and had beautiful gardens, well maintained by the more agile tenants.

Roger..., I went to see the residents yesterday afternoon they tell me the back gardens on right hand side are being used for 10 new bungalows in a small area at the top of the road by the old houses and 4 on the other side the rest are 1,2,3 bedroom houses. The build has gone out to tender, but the plans have not gone to planning as yet. While I was there workmen were putting mettle grids on the windows and doors of the empty prefabs.

twowheelsgood ...  you are WRONG,! I was invited in to one of the residents home yesterday and I saw the plans (not yet agreed by council) and there are 12 not 24 bungalows, and they ARE NOT A POOR USE OF LAND they are no bigger than the ground floor of a  3 bed house. insidently Beattie Ave has always been for elderly, disabled children and adults accommodation with the exception of 14-16 houses across the Hunderton Road. I was born in Hunderton so I know what I'm talking about. Maybe when you are elderly you will be looking for this type of accommodation or someone in your family, the elderly are entitled to live in these bungalows!!!

Aylestone voice...  thanks for your support, it really annoys  me when I hear people say that bungalows take up to much room on a possible new build. When I was a councillor and on the Oval Regeneration Group I asked HHL where was bungalows on the plan they said exactly the same as TWG, but I explained that there were elderly people living in 3 bed houses that could be allocated to families if they built  bungalows, I also said I was on planning committee and if they didn't consider bungalows I would vote against the application, they come back with an offer of 8 bungalows, I told them I wanted 16, they agreed, hence the bungalows near to the Oval shops. I have a reputation of speaking my mind please or offend, but people know where they are with me. So if anyone is disrespectful to elderly or disabled people I come down on them hard. I* am telling everyone on here for future reference!!!

• 1 month later...

Planning has today been approved (with conditions) which includes protecting the existing trees on site.

Prior to commencement of each phase (as identified by condition 3 above) of the development (including demolition), all of the trees on the site shown on the approved plans to be retained shall be protected by fencing in accordance with the advice contained within BS5837:2012 and in accordance with the details contained within the

BS5837 Tree Constraints, Tree Impact Assessment & Tree Protection Method Statement for redevelopment.