Prefab Bungalows in Beattie Ave to be Demolished

Hereford Voice

Housing has run out for most new people. These quaint social prefabs will have to go. Together with their large gardens. Unfortunately we now have to face replacing the accommodation with cramming as many units on the land footprint as possible. The only answer is flats. Maximise the space. 

2 hours ago, Glenda Powell said:

Roger... these are elderly and disabled people you can't put them in flats

Of course you can, my aunt is in her 80's and lives in a modern block with a lift, she has lived there for years (Leeds) and would not want t move into a ground floor bungalow.

H Wilson... You say your aunt lives in a modern block flats in Leeds, with respect Leeds isn't Hereford. Keepmoat who has the contract built the block of flats at top of Beattie Ave, they have not got lifts neither has the ones over the road from McDonalds. And both blocks of flats have had and still have problems, as well as all the houses and bungalows at the Oval.

11 hours ago, Glenda Powell said:

H Wilson... You say your aunt lives in a modern block flats in Leeds, with respect Leeds isn't Hereford. Keepmoat who has the contract built the block of flats at top of Beattie Ave, they have not got lifts neither has the ones over the road from McDonalds. And both blocks of flats have had and still have problems, as well as all the houses and bungalows at the Oval.

All of which misses the point - it is perfectly possible to build accessible high rise buildings. That Keepmoat decide not to, isn't an argument for not doing them. It's a political decision. Likewise, that Keepmoat deliver very poor quality buildings isn't a reason not to build. Appoint a better developer - let's not forget their appointment to deliver the 'Edgar St Village' was yet another disastrous decision by the now sacked Conservative cabinet and is still scrubland.

TWG... Keepmoat stems from the north of the country and they have a very bad reputation that said in regard to HHL Oval development, they did have a different contract builder but Keepmoat put in a lower bid, and when they got the contract they change  what they were going to build, no flats were supposed to be built and they were never on the planning application, the properties built 2,3,4 bedroom houses were supposed to be for the families and elderly people that lived in the 3 storey flats but only 60 families got them the remaining 135 that were build Keepmoat kept them to sell, but as I said before ALL the properties has vaults in them, and the ones opposite me it was found when  the kitchen fitter came, the houses were built without the services (gas,electric and water) had not been put in, sorry I gone off the subject, going back to Beattie Ave, the block of flats when built they did not make the flat roof weather proof and the heavy rain water came through all the flats, the people were claiming damages for their homes and HHL got another contractor to replace the roof which cost them £26,000. In regard to the prefabs they were built after the war, and very spacious, and the people loved them, yes they could build highrise flats but what happened in London and the loss of life I don't think they would be allowed to build any.

As you probably know I was a councillor for 12 years for the Belmont Ward which consisted of Belmont, Hunderton and Newton Farm, and I was totally involved with ALL my constituents, and anything build in the area.

On 11/05/2019 at 21:52, twowheelsgood said:

None of them are for open market sale. There will be;

20 x Social Rent, 17 x Affordable Rents , 17 x Shared Ownership, 17 Rent to Buy.

Of these, 18 will be bungalows (1, 2 and 3 bed), 47 will be houses (2 and 3 bed) and 6 'OT Units' (bungalows, whatever OT may be).

Original tenants will be offered new properties.

At least, that is the plan ...

18 bungalows is just wasting space. Beggars can't be choosers in the social housing area. Bungalows is a tragic waste of space. To house more people there needs to be a modern complex of flats'. With lifts. Disability accessible. I know, historically, there have been problems in flats southside. Shared stairwells and entances/landings attract the wrong types. But the social housing has run out. A single story bungalow is too much of a luxury to house someone on the cheap. 

On 11/05/2019 at 21:52, twowheelsgood said:

None of them are for open market sale. There will be;

20 x Social Rent, 17 x Affordable Rents , 17 x Shared Ownership, 17 Rent to Buy.

Of these, 18 will be bungalows (1, 2 and 3 bed), 47 will be houses (2 and 3 bed) and 6 'OT Units' (bungalows, whatever OT may be).

Original tenants will be offered new properties.

At least, that is the plan ...

18 bungalows is just wasting space. Beggars can't be choosers in the social housing area. Bungalows is a tragic waste of space. To house more people there needs to be a modern complex of flats'. With lifts. Disability accessible. I know, historically, there have been problems in flats southside. Shared stairwells and entances/landings attract the wrong types. But the social housing has run out. A single story bungalow is too much of a luxury to house someone on the cheap. 

Roger.... we all have our opinions, but bungalows are not a waste of space. Why don't you think of it in another way, there are many elderly people living alone in  3 bedroom houses who could and have given the houses up for a bungalow. When the elderly people living in Newton Farm 3 story flats, they asked for a bungalow there are 16 bungalows around the Oval that are occupied by those people, other in Newton Farm and Hunderton have given up houses for families, and have been moved to bungalows all over Hereford.

On 02/07/2019 at 23:07, Glenda Powell said:

Roger.... we all have our opinions, but bungalows are not a waste of space. Why don't you think of it in another way, there are many elderly people living alone in  3 bedroom houses who could and have given the houses up for a bungalow. When the elderly people living in Newton Farm 3 story flats, they asked for a bungalow there are 16 bungalows around the Oval that are occupied by those people, other in Newton Farm and Hunderton have given up houses for families, and have been moved to bungalows all over Hereford.

If elderly people are living alone in 3 bedroom social housing then that's a fault of the system. Obviously we cannot afford to under occupy social housing. It is pie in the sky to suggest that anything other than a flat is where a single [social housing] pensioners should be housed. I appreciate those premises don't really exist. As for your stats above I have never really liked the term 'affordable rent'. What does that really mean? Does it mean the rent is dirt cheap? Or subsidised?