HEREFORDSHIRE COUNCIL WEBSITE DOWN

Ubique

The Council went with open source software for their website a few years back. A rare example of innovative and cost conscious thinking on their part. I don't know why they feel the need to spaff quarter of a million on something that doesn't work. I'd hazard a guess the resident thickos in upper management were talked into it by some snake oil salesman from a big software firm. Either that or they thought the CRM project was a model they should be following for all future IT acquisitions

Looking at the page on the new website which details the Council's expenditure under Open Data, I note that there are no spreadsheets for: October 2016, November 2016, December 2016. On the old website only one of the three months was not published, I assumed that there was no expenditure for that month. As they haven't published the three months on the new website are they trying to hide something or is it just an oversight?

All the links on past Hereford Voice posts linking to the Council now do not work. Is this an attempt to further obstruct the public's right to see this information? It is obvious that this site is not produced for the benefit of the public. A lot of information that could be helpful is now buried elsewhere on the new site. Anyone else had this problem?

Also no A to Z menu which was of help finding specific information.

A case of don't let them know too much - knowledge is dangerous.

Coincidentally I decided today was the day to apply for my concessionary bus pass(well it is there might as well have it and any little helps in alleviating the pain of having to wait over 3 years for my State Pension).  Preparing my mind for a fruitless lengthy visit to the website less than 10 minutes it was all done and the pass is in the post! 

The website is obviously designed for the customer and not for inquisitive people who dig and delve and have a desire to know how their money is spent.

Keep digging and deliving Meggilleland!!

Note the second item expenditure will be published quarterly. Why? Payments will be made monthly it should go automatically into a spreadsheet which should be available for all and sundry to access 

A case of don't let them know too much - knowledge is dangerous.

Coincidentally I decided today was the day to apply for my concessionary bus pass(well it is there might as well have it and any little helps in alleviating the pain of having to wait over 3 years for my State Pension).  Preparing my mind for a fruitless lengthy visit to the website less than 10 minutes it was all done and the pass is in the post! 

The website is obviously designed for the customer and not for inquisitive people who dig and delve and have a desire to know how their money is spent.

Keep digging and deliving Meggilleland!!

Congratulations Denise for reaching an age when you are entitled to a Concessionary Bus Pass - I must add that the " old " Website was just as efficient in issueing and renewing these Passes . So why change it when it worked ?

Enjoy your free bus travel - we do .

Looking at the page on the new website which details the Council's expenditure under Open Data, I note that there are no spreadsheets for: October 2016, November 2016, December 2016. On the old website only one of the three months was not published, I assumed that there was no expenditure for that month. As they haven't published the three months on the new website are they trying to hide something or is it just an oversight?

All the links on past Hereford Voice posts linking to the Council now do not work. Is this an attempt to further obstruct the public's right to see this information? It is obvious that this site is not produced for the benefit of the public. A lot of information that could be helpful is now buried elsewhere on the new site. Anyone else had this problem?

Also no A to Z menu which was of help finding specific information.

I see that the missing spreadsheets mentioned above are now on the new website.

I edit a website in which there are (were) links to all sorts of Council documents, especially about the natural environment.

Now we have the new Council website I find that many of the links I had included no longer work.  I will need to check them all and change them if I can, where they still exist in another form. Some links seem to have disappeared completely.

How many other local or community websites may be affected, and how long will it take people to realise what has happened?

No-one at the Council thought of the implications for others, did they?

I visit the Burghill Parish Council website regularly and noticed after HCC "upgraded " their site that a number of pages were missing from Burghill PC site , local Planning Applications for one , however it appears that it's now back to normal .

No, it's more - that was the cost to consultants. In addition there was some 2900 hours of (uncosted) staff time*. Not to mention the wasted time by everyone in the Council trying to find pages that no longer exist - I spoke to someone in BBLP who wasn't at all amused that links to a lot of their documents no longer worked. 

*Even at a conservative £30ph inc employers overheads, this adds a further £87k … 

I think it is commonly known by this particular Council as getting the best value for the taxpayer's money - pah

Slightly off topic my bus pass arrived today although I had an email at the beginning of the week saying it had been posted 2nd class.  Intrigued I turned the envelope over to see where it was posted from - Waterlooville - how naive of me to think these things are done and dusted in house 

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried to access a planning application whilst the application came up I am unable to see the documents with the following message

"Relevant documents

Due to an intermittent performance issue we are unable to load the documents.

This appears to happen more frequently at weekends, please try again later."End of quote

We pay the most to get the best

I get this all the time - NOT just at weekends (and hey council bods, some of us work at weekends and need access). Really, +£300k for something that is no better than than the site it replaced, and in the same breath they close No 1 Ledbury Road  because they claim they have no money (and despite putting up the Council Tax by 1.9% for the very thing they say they have no money for). Is it any wonder we don't  believe a word they say?

I get this all the time - NOT just at weekends (and hey council bods, some of us work at weekends and need access). Really, +£300k for something that is no better than than the site it replaced, and in the same breath they close No 1 Ledbury Road because they claim they have no money (and despite putting up the Council Tax by 1.9% for the very thing they say they have no money for). Is it any wonder we don't believe a word they say?

I hear what your saying brother & agree with all you say but the question we should be asking ourselves is how can we change the status quo with these out of control local authorities?

Because until we find the answer to reigning them in…then I'm afraid they will continue in this manner of behaving with utter contempt for those they are supposed to serve & that's us the people!

• 1 month later...

At least we get a warning this time - given that it's not only the public that need access to these documents, it's Councillors, Utilities, Council staff, Parish Councils, City Council, BBLP etc, a generic apology doesn't really cut it. Get it sorted. 

Due to essential maintenance planning documents may not be available on Tuesday, 6th June. We apologise for any inconvenience.

• 4 weeks later...