Clean for The Queen

megilleland

IMG_4592.jpg

I see The Council are doing their bit for this initiative .... This is the approach to the railway station at lunchtime today ...

This bin had been emptied when I went past today. Also the rubbish around it had been removed. Post a pic on a forum and you get a result ....  :Happy_32:

Roger, all the bins on Great Western Way above have also been emptied. If by chance they are emptied every week on Mondays then it just shows how much litter is generated by our peoples lifestyles.

We'll have to keep an eye on this. It could be perceived that The Council reacted to negative publicity on here .... 

We are calling the overall campaign, 'Walking With Wally'. Wally is the GWW but not such a mouth full and a name that may be remembered.

Which 'Wally' came up with that name?

As far as I'm concerned and no doubt hundreds of others (yes I am that confident) GWW has and will always be known as 'The Lines'! Sorry to reign! on your parade, but what was wrong with calling it 'The Lines Walk'? You're not convincing anyone calling The Lines, Wally.

Will Cllr Edwards (Rt) be joining in and be available for a long chat, after all it is a long walk?

Which 'Wally' came up with that name?

As far as I'm concerned and no doubt hundreds of others (yes I am that confident) GWW has and will always be known as 'The Lines'! Sorry to reign! on your parade, but what was wrong with calling it 'The Lines Walk'? You're not convincing anyone calling The Lines, Wally.

Will Cllr Edwards (Rt) be joining in and be available for a long chat, after all it is a long walk?

Agreed - a ridiculous name - let's hope it is NOT remembered - from Wikipedia - 

Wally is a British English expression referring to a "silly or inept person",[1] which later developed into an umbrella term for "vulnerable individuals".[2]

According to Oxford Dictionaries Online, it possibly originated at a pop festival in the 1960s when, on hearing the name being announced many times over a loudspeaker, the crowd took it up as a chant.[1]

The cry was picked up by others and led to random shout of "Wally" being heard at rock concerts all over Britain.[3][4]

I think the Council have abandoned any pretence that they do anything else other than adult and children care (essential as that is).

The roads are in an appalling condition and the state of the county as evidenced by these photos show that they are not bothered. There is a lot of talk but it is so cheap. We are paying twice for services - our HC tax pays for services that the Council have passed to the City Council  and which we now pay them for

Whoever negotiated and/or signed the contract with BBLP should really be considering their position

How anyone in the Shire Hall can defend all this is beyond me

So with that AV who is actually going to sort who out? And when?

Who or what department is responsible for hiring and negotiating the contract with BB?

Nothing short of a deep clean would get Herefordshire back to what it was.  As for the roads well I just don't know how they can be helped.

Suggestions as to get the county back to a nice clean place would be most welcome

Herefordshire Â£5.2m: down 54.9% (£1.5m on open spaces -18.7%; £1.5m on libraries-47.9%) is on the  list and that's with a Con Council and 2 Con MP's

Mirror Politics â€@MirrorPolitics  12 mins

20 areas hardest hit by Tory culture cuts revealed - is your town on the list? http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/20-areas-hardest-hit-tory-7569345 â€¦

CdsFNBFXEAAyONt.jpg

I think the Council have abandoned any pretence that they do anything else other than adult and children care (essential as that is).

The roads are in an appalling condition and the state of the county as evidenced by these photos show that they are not bothered. There is a lot of talk but it is so cheap. We are paying twice for services - our HC tax pays for services that the Council have passed to the City Council  and which we now pay them for

Whoever negotiated and/or signed the contract with BBLP should really be considering their position

How anyone in the Shire Hall can defend all this is beyond me

Agree with all of that - I believe a certain Cllr H Bramer negotiated the BBLP deal ...

At a local level, where are the ward councillors in all of this? They do have the power to get some of these things sorted, but, bar the occasional pr day  with the obligatory photo opportunity for the HT, they just don't appear to be doing very much. That said, I very well remember my former ward councillor blanking my requests with the response 'I don't do small stuff'.

I tend to agree. 

This was the bin at the bottom of Aylestone Hill at 12.23 hrs this lunchtime .... It's not as if the bin is in a low profile hidden away location .... They seem to have given up on certain bins' unless someone moans on social media. Then they probably send someone out special to empty one bin at treble the cost of emptying it as part of a 'round' ..... 

b16fd149_d283_4a76_897b_cbb87b0bbec6.jpg

Came home from work along the Great Western Way this afternoon at 4pm and noted the tidiness of the route as a result of the clean up with Wally. All the rubbish has been collected and put in black bags and left by the waste bins. I imagine some bright sparks will try to rearrange the bags and scatter them across the path overnight. Let's hope the bags are still intact when Balfour Beatty pick them up.

Dilligaf, only saw 2 people walking from the Oval to the GWW, and I have a good view from my home. Phil Edwards was going round the houses near you on Friday morning asking people to join him in the litter pick on Saturday ( see my post on Find Phil) he got some choice answers he didn't want. other than the two people I initially saw, I couldn't see anyone litter picking, there were people jogging and walking their dogs on the GWW

All the rubbish has been collected and put in black bags and left by the waste bins.

The problem with that is that dumping rubbish by a bin and not in it is called 'fly tipping'. Plenty of examples of people getting fined for doing that. Or for leaving stuff next to a recycling skip when the actual skip is full. I wouldn't be surprised if the Council mounted a full inquiry into that GWW fly tipping. 

Will Her Maj be checking out the new Greenway (on a Pashley Princess of course)? Reported to the 'public realm delivery partner, Balfour Beatty  Living Places.'

By the way Cllr Chappell, that graffiti on the new bridge you said you'd sort a year ago - still there.

Cycled past this morning and it's been emptied - given that it's only 100m from the BBLP depot, it can't have been too much of a sweat for them.

Increasingly it seems not emptying bins is the new not cutting the verges. I'm convinced they've adopted the reactive approach - ie do nothing until someone complains - they've admitted as much in other areas of work e.g. potholes - obvious really, they can make so much more money that way, particularly when the paymasters don't seem to care either.

Perhaps this should have gone on the Clean for the Queen topic but it is here now.  Colin tweeted this on HV last night so I thought I would post it.  Makes you feel so much better when you get a sanctimonious preaching from a member of the Cabinet.  

Taken from HC website.  I see their website is closed down for a little while tomorrow morning.  I have worked in companies where if there was maintenance to be done and a 4 day break was coming up then a little team would either swap their break or get paid to do the work without disrupting the working week.  How times change.

The great rubbish revolt: Herefordshire residents take to the streets - On behalf of Balfour Beatty Living Places

23 March 2016

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Groups of residents from across the county are taking to the streets to pick up the litter that others leave behind.

Volunteers from Eardisland to Ross-on-Wye and many places in between have collected over 200 black sacks in the last couple of weeks and seven teams of conscientious residents will be hitting the road next month (April).

Herefordshire Council’s public realm contractor Balfour Beatty Living Places (BBLP) provides litter picking kits for the do-it-yourself heroes.

Cllr Paul Rone, portfolio holder for Highways, paid tribute to the county’s army of concerned citizens: “It is hugely heartening to see groups of people of all ages and backgrounds coming together to show their pride in their community. They are real unsung heroes.â€

But he rounded on the litter-droppers: “It’s thoughtless, selfish and ruins shared spaces for everyone.

“Some people mistakenly think if they pay their taxes they have the right just to chuck stuff on the ground for others to dispose of. But they don’t: tax revenues are for vital services like schools and helping vulnerable people. Not to waste on waste.â€

According to Herefordshire Council, littering costs taxpayers £1.2 million a year; nationally Keep Britain Tidy say the cost of cleaning up and to the economy is almost £1 billion.

Cllr Rone added: “We have to change our attitudes, and we have to change them as quickly as we can, and rid ourselves of this unnecessary scourge to our local communities.

“The only sustainable solution to the litter problem is to persuade the litterbugs to stop messing up the country: we cannot just keep cleaning up their rubbish indefinitely, only for it constantly to reappear.â€

The council is running a ‘Stop the drop’ litter campaign with a media competition open to all. For more information visitwww.herefordshire.gov.uk/stopthedrop

I saw that news item on the Council website Denise. It's here

I couldn't believe the wording. The Council were celebrating that the Company that have the contract for the job have managed to avoid the work by getting the locals to do it for free. Bizarre! 

The great rubbish revolt: Herefordshire residents take to the streets - On behalf of Balfour Beatty Living Places 

Meanwhile the bin was full at Churchill Gardens car park this morning .... Not overflowing yet but full ...

IMG_4618.jpg