Clean for The Queen

megilleland

Clean for The Queen is a campaign to clear up Britain in time for Her Majesty the Queen's 90th birthday, which will be officially celebrated in June 2016.

When she came to the throne litter was not the problem that it is today. Food packaging, plastic bottles, takeaway meals and cigarette butts have all contributed to a growing menace that affects our wildlife, streets, countryside and sense of pride. What better way could we show our gratitude to Her Majesty than to clean up our country?

We are calling on individuals, volunteer groups, local councils, businesses and schools to do their bit. You can start now and also take part in our Clean for The Queen weekend on March  4th, 5th and 6th 2016.  Please register your interest here and we will help you to Clean for The Queen. 

and

On Saturday 19th March 2016 as part of our “CLEAN UP WITH WALLY†campaign we are having a community clean up in South Wye. Our campaign focusses on the Great Western Way and the River footpath. We would love to have as many people as possible, as many hands make light work!  If you would like to join us we are having two meeting points, 1. At the Oval, Newton Farm 2. At Hunderton Bridge off the River footpath. This is a community project with many organisations all working together to take collective responsibility for our lovely green space.

The current Lord Lieutenant Lady Darnley who lives close by will also be joining us!

Please let me know if you will be joining us. Please pass this on to any individuals or organisations who you think can help.

Amanda Evans, (Regeneration) South Wye Development Trust
Tel: 01432 383230

Anyone going out twice to pick up litter? The state of the city and rural highways has deteriorated badly. Travelled today to Ross on Wye along the A49 and what a state the verges are in - a disgrace. So will the Highways Agency and Herefordshire Housing be doing their bit along with Balfour Beatty or will it only be the plebs doffing their caps and waving their black plastic bin bags as Her Majesty glides past? I think she needs to come down to Herefordshire to see the variety of detritus we have on offer.

I have to agree with Slim.

Firstly we already pay to have the streets kept clean.

Secondly, failing the above, which we have already paid for, get the minor crims to do it.

Thirdly, sod "Cleaning For The Queen!"  How about keeping it clean for the general public?  Why have a special clear up just because Liz has a birthday? Will the next one be when she sends herself a telegram?

With the mindset of so many people nowadays it is almost a waste litter picking pick some up turn around and somebody has dropped some more.  Education education education is needed but how I know not.

Same with dog poo.

If anybody has any bright ideas on how to overcome the problem would be most welcome.

How do you stop kids going to the shop buying a packet of crisps or whatever and a can of something eat and drink whilst walking down the road drop can and packet?

It comes from the parents Denise.

I don't drop litter, I always pick up after my dogs.

Because it was drummed into me when I was young, not to drop, or leave rubbish.

My little boy also gets it drummed into him not to drop litter, and he is quite open about telling his mates off also.

Unfortunately, some people just don't seem to care...

From Herefordshire Council News

For those supporting the Clean for the Queen event on 4 to 6 March 2016 in Herefordshire, please call us on 01432 261800 to let us know where and when you are picking so we can arrange suitable collection of your purple bags. This waste cannot be disposed of at recycling centres or be put in with your household waste.

What is suitable collection. Does the waste have to be by Royal Appointment. We have a waste bin in Muir Close where people are fly tipping waste in carrier bags by leaving them by the bin, yet Balfour Beatty are not removing the waste when emptying the bin, but leaving it alongside the bin. It has been there now for 3 weeks. I also do not see much impact on the environment by the Housing Associations judging by the level of fly tipping in the area.

As far as I know The Queen is not scheduled to visit Herefordshire at all this year. So cleaning FOR HRH is misleading as she won't see any of the results in person.

I agree with the other comments made. We've already paid for the 'cleaning' in Council Tax. So I won't be dragging myself out with a broom to do it for free. Also the miscreants sentenced to do 'unpaid work' at the Magistrates Court should be out there 365 days a year supplementing the minimal Council efforts. I don't know what the current type of unpaid work is that these people are tasked with but I've previously seen it involved making bird boxes in a cosy indoor environment. 

Plenty of litter down Great Western Way, especially at Belmont Road Bridge, most of which appears to be waste from the building development. Also the section of path from Penhaligon Way (where the Bulmers railway sidings crosses) to Widemarsh Common.

All the litter between the back of Charles Witts Avenue and GWW, reported originally 23rd Februray 2011, is still there - this area to soon be declared an area of special scientific importance for studying detritus and wastes effect on the environment. Also mentioned here.

post-2-0-03604800-1457169660.jpg

post-2-0-92833000-1457169684.jpg

The event on 19th of March has nothing to do with the Queen. It is a South Wye Community event organised by the south Wye councillors, South Wye Partnership, police, Newton Farm Community. Centre and other local groups. School children can win £100 in vouchers for a winning poster which will be erected on lamp posts along GWW and river path to remind people to take home their rubbish.

We are calling the overall campaign, 'Walking With Wally'. Wally is the GWW but not such a mouth full and a name that may be remembered. The Clean Up With Wally, starts at 10am - 1pm at the Hunderton bridge. Its a community event as we want the community to take ownership for their rubbish! We envisage young and old joining us so posters will be most welcome!

Plenty of litter down Great Western Way, especially at Belmont Road Bridge, most of which appears to be waste from the building development. Also the section of path from Penhaligon Way (where the Bulmers railway sidings crosses) to Widemarsh Common.

All the litter between the back of Charles Witts Avenue and GWW, reported originally 23rd Februray 2011, is still there - this area to soon be declared an area of special scientific importance for studying detritus and wastes effect on the environment. Also mentioned here.

attachicon.gifGWW1-11032012.jpg

attachicon.gifGWW2-11032012.jpg

My sister was saying that a lot of the mess looks like it is from the building development. 

I do a fair bit of walking as I do not drive and there is litter everywhere and not just little bits, Baysham street which I walk down to see my Dad have had a old bit of the Potting shed sign stuck there for weeks. Just shows how often we get street cleaners now. 

Then the council have a cheek to want more money from us.

This clean for the queen stuff is just an excuse to get the public to do what this useless council should sort out.

Saying all of that, a lot of the rubbish is from people just chucking it down, but then there are very few bins these days, not that it is really a excuse, but some people do not want to carry a empty tin or bottle for that long. the other problem is bin bags that are not tied, i make sure mine is tied, the only problem is we sometimes get a dog around here who loves having a go at the bags.

Only going to get worse.

Seems to me that ward councillors should be all over this rubbish problem - they should be fighting to ensure Balfour Beatty do what they're paid handsomely to do in their ward. They are the only people that can pick up the phone and get stuff done (as we have seen from some of Glenda's work in the past). Blitzing litter in a wave of community spirit is ok, but it's so much easier and better to have it done all the time. Ultimately, it's people that drop it, and a lot of that comes back to education. 

In the past when we still  had the St Francis, church I organised many litter picks on Newton Farm, it was Amey then that had the contract, we got the teenagers and younger children involved as well as the police, there was an insentive given to the children if they helped out they got a voucher for a beefburger or hot dog after the litterpick which the police did the cooking, and in the evening for the teenagers a disco type evening again with food that the polce arranged and kept an eye at the church. On a couple of occasions some of the residents joined in also Jesse Norman.

To be fair Balfour Beatty are cleaning the area every day. Then when someone contacts them they go out again to clean up. So why do we not boycott the local shops who nearly always are responsible for the front of their shops for cleaning up? Do they have a litter bin and if so do they empty it, if not why not? Your question with the mornings paper!

Last week I have been told to f*** off several times when I asked politely for someone, no one under 21, to pick up their litter. Was that your father, mother, brother, sister or friend? Answer on a post card please.

Thing is, we all have a responsibility to pass on our world when we leave it to the next generation. Instead of being negative and moaning about it let us all contribute to keeping it as we want to pass on to our children.

No not chop off their hands! Although I can see that that might prevent serial litter louts from offending again, but a gentle word about not throwing away *** packets would help. Own your community, join us with 'Wally' take ownership of GWW and river path.

Clean for the County , yes why not , clean for the queen? why ?? It would take an age to teach the half wits who cannot conduct their activities to learn how to keep the place clean. There are areas of Hereford that the inhabitants deserve nothing better than a steel shipping container, they are pigs 

Atm69...thats a bit of a gross generalization isn't it? Of which areas to you speak of anyhow?

I think the pictures speak for themselves also the areas have been mentioned in the thread. Not a generalization, the inhabitants drag an area down no matter where it is, people seem to see a mess and add to it. Unfortunately the education system has not pushed the subject enough for many years. 

I am not blaming an entire community, read my post . I am saying "a few" soon spoil the place, that is my point.

Sherborne Close always seems to crop up on this forum. Is it the locals dumping stuff or is it 'out of the way' and attracting other dumpers' from a bit further away? Like 3 or 4 streets away .... Or further ? And is Sherborne Close going to be 'cleaned for the Queen' ? And if so what would be the point? As it seems to be a magnet for trash. The fridges and sofa's would just return .... 

post-2-0-09892100-1403603611.jpg

My point exactly , a few leads to a few more , people see a pile and they add to it. Basically can't be arsed to take it to the tip so sling it out of sight.

The Council have an army of attendants who will give you a ticket for overstaying in a half empty car park. Maybe they should be looking at the real problem blighting Communities? It all boils down to cash tho. No money to be made from people slinging clapped out microwaves on an estate that is out of the way .... 

Solidus, atm63 does have a point.

Walk along the lines, by the slope down to Riverside school, on the other side of the path look at the back of one particular property...

It is used as a dump.  But just at the end of one garden.  Are you suggesting that other people are adding to the rubbish at the end of that property?  Or, is it more likely to be the person's that live there just dumping their rubbish over the fence?

then please state that in your original post. Its all too easy to misconstrue stuff like this especially when its focused on a estate that gets ALOT of flak.

still before this topic gets derailed wouldn't the cure to this type of dumping be to fund and publicize a service (be it Housing association or council) that takes this sorta stuff off to the tip on behalf of people Who cant afford the means to take this stuff off their selves?

Just saying. believe it or not, not everybody has the means to do this

Yes, on reflection my choice of wording in my original post was not correct, I should have pointed out what I said further down the thread that a few spoil it for others. I hold my hand up and did not want to offend anyone. 

All the bins this morning between Aldi and Widemarsh Common along the Great Western Way are all stuffed to overflowing with piles of rubbish scattered around the bottom of the bin. Yes it says alot about the state of the City not only environmentally, but also the lack of interest of those in a postion to do something about it.

Thanks Megilleland for your photos - to me it seems alot of people use the rubbish bins provided but the Council are not emptying these bins. A bit of windy weather like last week and this lots then gets blown everywhere. Yes there is fly tipping and people just dropping litter, but the photos above show that a bigger problem is the Council not collecting rubbish in the first place. How on earth do you encourage a young child to put rubbish in any of those bins?  

On another thread we had this posted which I think was a letter to the Hereford Times April 2015

I WOULD like to respond to the letter from Kirstie Macfarlane (Tourists don’t want to see rubbish dump, Letters, March 6).

There is no doubt that because there are disgusting people about, we have a problem. It is nonsense, and utterly misleading, for the council to plead lack of resources as a defence to a claim that the litter problem is not being tackled.

Under Section 89 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990, a council has an absolute duty to pick up litter, and there is basically no excuse for not doing so. Under Section 91 an individual aggrieved by the presence of litter can take action against the council in the magistrates’ court.

That is precisely what I did some years ago when I lived in Hereford and became fed up with wading through litter. I issued some 30 abatement notices against the council under the Act. They ignored them, I took the council to court, won the case, and things temporarily improved.

The procedure is all set out in the excellent website www.litteraction.org.uk. Everything is explained and there is a step-by-step procedure to follow etc.

I am willing, as a retired lawyer, to assist anyone who cares to take the council to task (my email is kipcarwaistell@hotmail.com), and am happy to try and form a group (contact me if you are interested) to keep an eye on litter everywhere in the county, with the object of submerging the council with litter abatement notices.

The council must be forced to act. Schools and parents need to educate the young that dropping litter is a filthy habit, and the police/council need to adopt a zero-tolerance policy to offenders.

After all, with a maximum fine of £2,500, one should be able to discourage this obnoxious minority.

I also took the council and their contractors to court for £400 damage sustained by my car as a result of potholes and recovered my outlay (but only because of a lucky technicality!). It is a disgrace that the council allows repairs to be so badly done, rather than take the contractors to task for shoddy work.

I see the same potholes open up time and time again, because the repairs are not done properly. This new group could try to do something in this respect too.

KIP WAISTELL Vowchurch

Anyone up for issuing a notice to the Council for failing to empty the bins, which we as rate payers have paid to have done?

Thanks Megilleland for your photos - to me it seems alot of people use the rubbish bins provided but the Council are not emptying these bins.

Anyone up for issuing a notice to the Council for failing to empty the bins, which we as rate payers have paid to have done?

The bins' in Churchill Gardens never overflow and the 3 red dog waste bins' there seem to get emptied daily ~ or near enough daily. So it's very disappointing that certain zones are getting neglected. Who is in charge of managing the rota for bin control? Seems to be a failure in supervision. Or more likely management. Someone is getting paid a large sum of money for managing those bins' and the picture evidence indicates they should not be in a job.

As for litigation then 99.9% of people haven't got the time to engage with that process. Far easier to 'shame' the dept. on Social Media as it actually works. And it's a couple of clicks to make a Public point. Kip Waistell, who wrote the above letter, is a well known local who I actually applaud for his litter stance. I think he also was involved in some UKIP stuff that made the papers. So it's the sort of area he would sound off about ....