Great Western Way - Big Clean Up

Glenda Powell

:Thumbs-Up::Thumbs-Up::Thumbs-Up: In response to the many calls I have received from Colin James about the litter on the Great Western Way and the fly tipping to the rear of Charles Witts Ave in Hunderton, Colin has suggested a 'Big Clean Up Day' 

A meeting has been arranged with all Belmont ward councillors, Bethon Fortey Enforcement officer, Community Protection Team officers and estates Managers of Herefordshire Housing Ltd, this meeting will take place on Thursday 17th March to discuss clean up costs of these areas to enable this big cleanup to commence.

I will keep you advised of the outcome of the meeting.

On 08/03/2011 at 16:31, Glenda Powell said:

:Thumbs-Up::Thumbs-Up::Thumbs-Up: In response to the many calls I have received from Colin James about the litter on the Great Western Way and the fly tipping to the rear of Charles Witts Ave in Hunderton, Colin has suggested a 'Big Clean Up Day' 

A meeting has been arranged with all Belmont ward councillors, Bethon Fortey Enforcement officer, Community Protection Team officers and estates Managers of Herefordshire Housing Ltd, this meeting will take place on Thursday 17th March to discuss clean up costs of these areas to enable this big cleanup to commence.

I will keep you advised of the outcome of the meeting.

This is long overdue, surely this is really a council problem and they should be cleaning this public area weekly? But looking forward to a full day where we can all get stuck in! 

On 09/03/2011 at 11:50, Colin James said:

This is long overdue, surely this is really a council problem and they should be cleaning this public area weekly? But looking forward to a full day where we can all get stuck in! 

The Great Western Way now comes under the responsibility of AMEY, the new Community Protection Team and Enforcement Officers. As some of the litter and fly tipping is in the curtilage of Herefordshire Housing land they are equally responsible for clearing it away, hense why they have been invited to the meeting and they will be responsible for some of the cost towards the big clean up.

Isn't it also an education issue? Its the general public who are dropping the litter not the council. There are bins available and which are emptied, but for some people it appears that rubbish is to heavy to carry far as a bin... :Sad_32:

Yes, I agree.

Just after I became a councillor eight years ago Albert Heinz offered to pay for a tram line to be put onto the GWW Herefordshire council rejected his offer, a very big mistake in my opinion and I said so at the time.

As Colin James has previously suggested, this whole area should be turned into a road to take relief from the Belmont Road.

Most people are too frightened to walk along here after the hours of dark, so it is wasted land in my opinion.

On 09/03/2011 at 11:50, Colin James said:

:Thumbs-Up:

I advised that I would send a report on the meeting held this morning regarding the GWW Big Clean Up Day. In attendance Cllr Powell,Cllr Edwards, Colette Cutter HHL, Tom Hll Amey,Bethon Fortey, Craig Sandeman ( commutity Enforcement Team officers) Sam Knox (police)

I am sending a quick update From Bethon Fortey:

Colette Cutter HHL to accertain whether they can remove back fencing to HHL

property in Charles Witts Ave to provide access route for items to be removed

Colette Cutter t6o also accertain whether HHL can provide the labour in the

form of two operatives and a three and half tonne truck.

Amey ( via Herefordshire Council) to provide two operatives and a three half

tonne truck.

Amey to assess the area initially to ascertain whether there is asbestos present.

The idea of a litter pick along the GWW was mentioned by Cllr Powell to pair with the clear up, (residents welcome to help)but we will need a date in the first instance before this can be planned.

Ideally, we want to carry out this clean up as soon as possible in April / early

May (2nd week)

I will let you know when I know more!

Bethon Fortey

Enforcement Officer

Community Protection Team

Herefordshire Council

01432 261671 / 07792881403

END

Just after I became a councillor eight years ago Albert Heinz offered to pay for a tram line to be put onto the GWW Herefordshire council rejected his offer, a very big mistake in my opinion and I said so at the time.

Typical of Hereford Council - short sighted!

• 1 year later...
On 17/03/2011 at 16:36, Glenda Powell said:

:Thumbs-Up:

I advised that I would send a report on the meeting held this morning regarding the GWW Big Clean Up Day. In attendance Cllr Powell,Cllr Edwards, Colette Cutter HHL, Tom Hll Amey,Bethon Fortey, Craig Sandeman ( commutity Enforcement Team officers) Sam Knox (police)

I am sending a quick update From Bethon Fortey:

Colette Cutter HHL to accertain whether they can remove back fencing to HHL

property in Charles Witts Ave to provide access route for items to be removed

Colette Cutter t6o also accertain whether HHL can provide the labour in the

form of two operatives and a three and half tonne truck.

Amey ( via Herefordshire Council) to provide two operatives and a three half

tonne truck.

Amey to assess the area initially to ascertain whether there is asbestos present.

The idea of a litter pick along the GWW was mentioned by Cllr Powell to pair with the clear up, (residents welcome to help)but we will need a date in the first instance before this can be planned.

Ideally, we want to carry out this clean up as soon as possible in April / early

May (2nd week)

I will let you know when I know more!

Bethon Fortey

Enforcement Officer

Community Protection Team

Herefordshire Council

01432 261671 / 07792881403

END

Obviously nothing came about from this missive. What went wrong?