Noise nuisance complaints not acted on.

ragwert

Anyone here know who to contact other than Geof Layton regarding noise nusiance ie very loud music.
Three residents of cornish flats have complained on various occasions to Geof Layton with his excuse being
they would need a translator because they are Polish and don't speak English which is rubbish.
Complaints have been registered since August.

Ward councillor perhaps??

Marc Willimont - who is a member here -  would he be able to offer some guidance? I'm not sure if this falls within his remit, but he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Noisy neighbours are a complete nuisance!

(According to the council website...." Where it is reasonable we will provide free interpreting for customers who need to communicate in their own language." Although I think " Shhhhhh!! " and a very cross face translates pretty much across the board!.)

Interesting....

Local authorities have a duty to deal with statutory nuisances under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. For noise to amount to a statutory nuisance, it must be "prejudicial to health or a nuisance" - see section 79(1)(g) and (ga) of the 1990 Act. Guidance issued in Scotland to accompany the Public Health (Scotland) Act 2008 gives a comprehensive account of the relevant background and case-law.

So this to me means Geof Layton has a duty to deal with it,which he is not.
Also it is nearly every night so the police could be informed as it would be under anti social behavior laws.

No worries, Ragwert!

We've had similar issues in our street. Neighbours were advised to keep a "noise diary" time of noise, type of noise and length of time it went on for.

Several neighbours who were affected acted together, and although it took a few months, it was eventually resolved. It helps to do this, as when it's just one neighbour complaining, it can get very stressful!

Keeping lines of communication open - where possible - also helps. It can stop events escalating, and help prevent folks getting a tad aggressive! When I used to knock on the door, I usually took cake...... it's hard to be angry with someone who is on your doorstep offering a slice of carrot cake!

Good luck in getting it sorted!

(PS. Marc's also on Twitter!)

Ragwert, have you tried the local Cllr? Cllr Phil Edwards tel: 350688 he works and in contact with Herefordshire Housing, also ring the police and keep ringing them everytime there is noise. The environmental health can put equipment in to record the noise is there any other neighbours who will complain as well. Geoff Leyton is the estates manager for Newton Farm he should be dealing with this, and HHL has interpreters so there is no excuse not to deal with the complaint. Sorry I can't be more helpful as I am not the Cllr now for Newton Farm otherwise I would fight on your behalf, Ethelstan cresent is a long street over 103 properties there so it would help if you give the property number when contacting the councillor and environmental health. If you would like to contact me please do so and I will see if I can advise you further Colin knows where I live.

I'm not sure I'd advise calling the police every time there is noise!

Surely it's better to try other routes first?

Calling the police out regularly will most definitely inflame the situation.... and I'm pretty sure that at this time of year, all three emergency services have other priorities.

Calling the police out regularly will most definitely inflame the situation.... and I'm pretty sure that at this time of year, all three emergency services have other priorities.

Yes I agree with dippy, calling the police overtime is a total waste of their limited resources, so this is poor advice and surely only a last resort. 

No worries, Ragwert!

We've had similar issues in our street. Neighbours were advised to keep a "noise diary" time of noise, type of noise and length of time it went on for.

Several neighbours who were affected acted together, and although it took a few months, it was eventually resolved. It helps to do this, as when it's just one neighbour complaining, it can get very stressful!

Keeping lines of communication open - where possible - also helps. It can stop events escalating, and help prevent folks getting a tad aggressive! When I used to knock on the door, I usually took cake...... it's hard to be angry with someone who is on your doorstep offering a slice of carrot cake!

Good luck in getting it sorted!

(PS. Marc's also on Twitter!)

Keeping diary and if you have recording equipment that could prove useful. Nothing worse than continuos noisy neighbours, I think now and again is acceptable but regular disturbance is unfair.

Ragwert, have you tried the local Cllr? Cllr Phil Edwards tel: 350688 he works and in contact with Herefordshire Housing, also ring the police and keep ringing them everytime there is noise. The environmental health can put equipment in to record the noise is there any other neighbours who will complain as well. Geoff Leyton is the estates manager for Newton Farm he should be dealing with this, and HHL has interpreters so there is no excuse not to deal with the complaint. Sorry I can't be more helpful as I am not the Cllr now for Newton Farm otherwise I would fight on your behalf, Ethelstan cresent is a long street over 103 properties there so it would help if you give the property number when contacting the councillor and environmental health. If you would like to contact me please do so and I will see if I can advise you further Colin knows where I live.

Thanks Glenda

I would think this would be a last resort but it is heading towards being anti social behavior as they simply ignore any requests for the music to be turned down.The three residents have all been polite when knocking on the door too.

Really aggressive noise pollution and you are pissing in the wind with the Council. In my opinion. I'd ring the Police on 101 every time. They seem to have a reasonably robust recording system. Really excessive noise and ring them. The record is their end and no diary needed your end. I don't consider reporting 'anti-social' (really bad) noise behaviour to the cops as abuse of the system as we are paying for their service. They are stretched but is that your problem? 

Ragwert, I am sorry you have not had any response from Council and Phil Edwards but not surprised i was told by people living in Newton Farm before the holidays that they had contacted Phil Edwards and got no response since May this year. As someone else has said have you kept a written record of the noise time, day and date how long it last etc as this is your written evidence. The environmental health has recording equipment that they can install in the flat that is getting all the problems. I know it is a last resort but if you get nowhere with Herefordshire Housing tell them you go to the press, I had to do that in April this year and by time the HT and I arrived at the property HHL was alteady there dealing with the propblem, but the story was still published.

Ragwert, I am sorry you have not had any response from Council and Phil Edwards but not surprised i was told by people living in Newton Farm before the holidays that they had contacted Phil Edwards and got no response since May this year. As someone else has said have you kept a written record of the noise time, day and date how long it last etc as this is your written evidence. The environmental health has recording equipment that they can install in the flat that is getting all the problems. I know it is a last resort but if you get nowhere with Herefordshire Housing tell them you go to the press, I had to do that in April this year and by time the HT and I arrived at the property HHL was alteady there dealing with the propblem, but the story was still published.

Come on Glenda you really need to get over Cllr Edwards, you dig at him and tell us about the phone calls that you have received everytime something in his ward comes up,  *yawn*

Seriously getting out of hand.
No good ringing police.nothing they can do.
No good environmental health not rang back anyone of the three flat residents when they said they would.
Two residents went around tonight told to f**k off and we will keep playing music as long as we want.....In English.
Geoff Layton not back til 4th Jan
Cllr Edwards not calling back or answering his phone.
Back down hh in morning

Not much good for this evening, as it's now 8.30pm, but this is from Hereford Housing...

Monday - Friday : report anti social behaviour. Telephone 0300 777 4321. Lines are open between 8.00 am and 8.00 pm.

Apparently they will take a "Triple Track" approach.

1.Early intervention and prevention.

2.Non negotiable support.

3.Tough enforcement.

I'd suggest everybody affected starts ringing first thing.

Hope this helps, Ragwert. It's an intolerable situation.

(Ragwert, I may have the name of someone else at HH who can help. I'll pm you their details if I can chase them up!)

Not much good for this evening, as it's now 8.30pm, but this is from Hereford Housing...

Monday - Friday : report anti social behaviour. Telephone 0300 777 4321. Lines are open between 8.00 am and 8.00 pm.

Apparently they will take a "Triple Track" approach.

1.Early intervention and prevention.

2.Non negotiable support.

3.Tough enforcement.

I'd suggest everybody affected starts ringing first thing.

Hope this helps, Ragwert. It's an intolerable situation.

Yep,feel really sorry for all of them.Even the midwife who came around to one of them could not believe how loud the music was.I did ring out of hrs but nothing they can do so they are all going down to HH in morning.

This has to stop.

"They get paid to do a job"   Denise, have you been in a time suspension capsule and have just woken up?  Let me enlighten you.  These people are poorly paid, sh*t on by the council, given abuse by the "customers", and could not give a monkey's uncle about noise pollution/annoyance, as long as they get their pay cheque and no black eyes. I would suspect that, with your background, that you know this. The council have cut back so much that all employees are disillusioned. Every one is looking for other jobs. Herefordshire Council is in dire financial straits. Impending court cases et al. Police wont act, as said, until a law is broken. Ragwert, I really have no suggestions what to do.

Slim whether they get paid a pittance they are still paid to do a job.  I was paid minimum pay to do a job and was expected to put in as much effort as the Managers.  Of course people in HC are looking for alternative employment it is a sinking ship (and I have worked for some of those as well) but is easier to find employment if you are in a job I know!