Like Radio - Now 'On Air'

Roger

post-109-0-65059200-1441708565.jpg

A fledgling new Radio Station is being set up in Hereford (covers Worcester as well) .... For info ... They are aiming to broadcast on the internet and DAB radio .... 

Like Radio - Radio for the 21st Century!
We are Like Radio, a radio station who is striving to provide truly local radio within Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Radio across the 2 counties in our opinion in now starting to sound bland, boring and be of little relevance to the area. We believe radio in the two counties needs personality, localism and our station will bring this back! The station will truly be for the 21st Century using the latest technology and techniques to integrate and interact with the audience, and of course promote local businesses. We are even creating a way that listeners can help decide our weekly playlist!
We are an experienced team with our 30 combined years experience in the media and most importantly the radio industry, with one team member Ian Davies, being a popular presenter within our target area for the past 8 years. 
Our Campaign
Ask yourself these questions:
- Fed up of presenters sounding like robots?
-Fed up of hearing the same songs day in, day out?
-Fed up with presenters not knowing anything about the area they cover?
-Most importantly, do you like radio? 
We are going to bring truly local radio for the 21st Century to Herefordshire and Worcestershire. The majority of our programming will be produced from our studio and premises in Hereford. We are going to provide a new format and formula which gives the listeners more control than any other radio station within our area. We will have full interaction with the listeners throughout the core times of the day, many request programmes, all topics relevant to our core area and we are building a voting platform for the listeners to decide what should be on our A-List.
We believe this is important as it will show the big groups that local radio can still work and that networking is not required. We also want to build this station so similar stations by us could be rolled out across the country in the future.
Like Radio will show how radio for the 21st Century should be done!

Like Radio Crowd Funding Page

likeradiouk.co.uk

DJ Ian Davies is heavily involved. 

That sounds refreshing.

That post was not an advert by the way .... It's all very vague at the moment and Ian Davies is on holiday in America as we speak. I hope the proposed  feeds/streams live up to the hype! 

I dont often post on this board - but as a nightclub manager - Ian is one of the best DJ's ive worked with in 20 years of nightclub management!

You can see him every Thursday at Play  :Grin:

He is a super DJ Dan you have a great entertainer in Ian at Play and I am looking forward to this new radio station.  :Thumbs-Up:

A vague start date would be helpful I think .... I also think throwing money at DAB is a bit of a mistake .... Just my view! Internet Radio is the way forward. That said some channels transmit via the Sky Box. No delay in the signal. Radio is a booming zone I think .... 

• 1 month later...

The problem here is that we already got three localish stations and radio listening figures have reduced a lot over the years. i listen to Sunshine myself, certainly better than the Beebs offering and free Radio.

Another problem is DAB, it is awful, this new station will use as little bandwidth as they can get away with and we have many station at around 80Kbps, the local stations at the moment is around the 112 to 128, but Dab is old technology that is not as good as good old FM.

I kind of agree with Roger about internet radio, but no good on the move at the moment, 

I have a DAB/FM radio, but I do not listen to DAB stations any more, the sound quality is not there 

The quality of content in certain (used to be local) radio station has drastically declined since someone took over, guns blazing. Bet he thought Hereford was a sleepy old village, we would roll over and take it lying down. How wrong was he. How long before his celeb secret is outed? Tata....

As for LIKE - it will be run by locals with local knowledge for locals with locals in mind. Call it community radio if you will. I agree DAB is not the way forward but tinternet is. I often stream from my phone to my car, then there is podcasting..... So broadcasting is not a problem IMO. H&W is limited by bbc protocol, and wyvern is the same as it always was - just a name change since Dr Fox left!

LIKE has my backing, all for a change. Good luck Ian.

The quality of content in certain (used to be local) radio station has drastically declined since someone took over, guns blazing. Bet he thought Hereford was a sleepy old village, we would roll over and take it lying down. 

This is a major issue for me. I tuned in previously because it was local and friendly. Shaun Tilley took over at Sunshine and he's definitely not local. I'm surprised he was even able to find Hereford on the map. He's awarded himself a broadcasting slot every day of the week from his position of power. In fact 33 hours in total. So a huge number of hours of a non local guy. He's got an impressive CV if you look at the big stations he's worked at in the past but I doubt the local listeners are remotely interested in that. Talking of interest I'm confused as to why Shaun Tilley would want to work at Sunshine if you look at his previous jobs. It's rather like going from coaching a Premiership football side to coaching in the Vauxhall Conference.

Also bearing in mind Shaun Tilley's vast expertise, then why is the website out of date quite often? And why is Sunshine's Tunein radio stream still indicating that Ian Davies is still broadcasting 14-19 ? And the Jeff Collins Rock pops up once a week as still being on air! Just amateurish. 

The problem here is that we already got three localish stations and radio listening figures have reduced a lot over the years. 

I have a DAB/FM radio, but I do not listen to DAB stations any more, the sound quality is not there 

I dunno how Sunshine monitor their listening figures. I don't think they use Rajar.

Regarding DAB/FM I think it would be fairly typical for the average listener to be using a standard device like they sell in supermarkets. Just a box with a mono speaker sat on the kitchen counter or shelf. I think the quality via that is fairly similar for both FM and DAB. Everyone owns a smartphone tho. You can get thousands of radio stations on those. Just send the signal to a decent speaker system. Or plug it into the car sound system. Lots of cars have that capability.

LIKE has my backing, all for a change. Good luck Ian.

I echo that! 

I will have a peek if it ever takes off. 

As for internet radio, signal wise can be iffy in different places, Even up here on the College Est, 3G on my vodafone can change, sometimes it is good, other times it is awful. EE up here is a waste of time. The other problem is cost, I pay £13 a month, sim only contract and for that I get 720MB of data, 300 minutes of any network talk time, and a certain amount of Vodafone to vodafone on top of that and unlimited text. I know people who get less than that. 

I know prices have gone down and  giff gaff for instance offer good packages, but getting unlimited data for a good price is still not here yet.

FM is still a better system even if it is years old.

• 2 months later...

Great idea. I wish them every success.

I thoroughly agree about BBC H&W being bland. Time was (soon after it launched) when the delightful Jane Garvey would light up its airwaves. But of course she got 'poached' by Head Office - and look where she is now!

they need to advertise well and need to offer something different, certainly being on DAb only, still many people out there that do not own a DAB radio. My Dab radio is by the side of my bed and it is only really used when I go to bed and to wake me up in the morning and normally stuck on Fm (sunshine)

It takes a brave person to launch a new station, certainly a local one since the amount of people listening to radio is dropping. I only know a couple of people that have DAB radio in their house, I know a few that got it in new cars.

I do wish them all the luck, because I think they will need it.

It takes a brave person to launch a new station

I don't know any in and out's of this but I agree with that comment totally ..... 

people listening to radio is dropping.

I look at the World Trending Radio Shows daily and normally it is BBC Radio 2 every day all of the time and normally #1. This is via the #TuneIn app. 

Radio is very popular. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...