Like Radio - Now 'On Air'

Roger

Hi All,

Always interesting to read the comments about what we are trying to do!

Glasgow - We were offered a space on the Glasgow DAB trial mux by the operator and we felt it was too good an opportunity to turn down. It is using new cheap technology and software which could really change the way DAB is done here in the U.K in the future. We wanted to be involved with this from day one as it could be something we capitalise on  in the future. With the system we are using we can split content for each area easily. For example, we can do a live outside broadcast from Hereford, which wouldn't be broadcast in Glasgow. We don't have a launch date for Glasgow yet as Ofcom keep delaying it due to technical issues on a similar set up in London. They want this resolved before commissioning Glasgow. 

Herefordshire and Worcestershire- We are all set for this our side. We originally wanted to in September but the deadlines were tight. People may have noticed we wanted to launch in Q1 next year. We maybe able to do this even earlier! All I can say is an announcement will be made shortly!

Our studio facility is fully built (apart from a wall) and the system is running sweetly!

We will be on DAB, Tune In app, Radio Player, own our app and via our website when it launches.

As we said in the first statement, our presenters will not be robots just reading liners. They will have editorial control. Our listeners will also get the chance to show a disliking to a track. 

All I can say is, we are a new offering to radio in the area which will not try and copy anyone else.

Hi All,

Always interesting to read the comments about what we are trying to do!

Glasgow - We were offered a space on the Glasgow DAB trial mux by the operator and we felt it was too good an opportunity to turn down. It is using new cheap technology and software which could really change the way DAB is done here in the U.K in the future. We wanted to be involved with this from day one as it could be something we capitalise on  in the future. With the system we are using we can split content for each area easily. For example, we can do a live outside broadcast from Hereford, which wouldn't be broadcast in Glasgow. We don't have a launch date for Glasgow yet as Ofcom keep delaying it due to technical issues on a similar set up in London. They want this resolved before commissioning Glasgow. 

Herefordshire and Worcestershire- We are all set for this our side. We originally wanted to in September but the deadlines were tight. People may have noticed we wanted to launch in Q1 next year. We maybe able to do this even earlier! All I can say is an announcement will be made shortly!

Our studio facility is fully built (apart from a wall) and the system is running sweetly!

We will be on DAB, Tune In app, Radio Player, own our app and via our website when it launches.

As we said in the first statement, our presenters will not be robots just reading liners. They will have editorial control. Our listeners will also get the chance to show a disliking to a track. 

All I can say is, we are a new offering to radio in the area which will not try and copy anyone else.

Hi Ian (I assume)

We can't wait for the launch!

We have been doing our best to keep up with all of your posts and tweets etc... so please keep us up to speed.

Maybe we could offer a joint sponsorship, I will advertise and promote Like Radio where we can and in return maybe we could have a mentions or sponsor the weather?

In the meantime good luck! 

Hi Ian (I assume)

We can't wait for the launch!

We have been doing our best to keep up with all of your posts and tweets etc... so please keep us up to speed.

Maybe we could offer a joint sponsorship, I will advertise and promote Like Radio where we can and in return maybe we could have a mentions or sponsor the weather?

In the meantime good luck! 

Hi Colin,

Sounds like a good idea. We will be in touch closer to launch!

I will do so as well at no cost! I think it's all up in the air at the moment with paperwork from what Ian is implying as regards the start dates. Sooner the better in my view!  :Happy_32:

Hi Roger, paperwork has been done our side, we are now reliant on BT to install the circuits. Once we have a firm date for this, we can provide a launch date. We can hopefully do this very soon.

Hi Roger, paperwork has been done our side, we are now reliant on BT to install the circuits. Once we have a firm date for this, we can provide a launch date. We can hopefully do this very soon.

I only waited 4months for BT to install my circuit! Then they wired me to some other poor b@@@rs house!! I've got a direct contact if you experience issues, uncle m!

I only waited 4months for BT to install my circuit! Then they wired me to some other poor b@@@rs house!! I've got a direct contact if you experience issues, uncle m!

My son could moan all day long about BT OpenReach! I'm guessing that is the same outfit involved! Or a branch of it! 

I'm gonna give this a real listen to when it comes over the air and give it a chance. I'm still worried tho about the demographic that Like Radio is aimed at as it's the 15-30 age bracket. Which I'm assuming is Radio 1 type content. 

The station is aimed at the 15-30 demographic as no other station in the area is aimed at this market. There is no point in copying anyone else or attack those markets as it would be suicidal for a new business to do that.

Would people really want similar services?

This way we can do what we want without worrying what competitors are doing. We have a good experienced team behind us to do this to the best of our ability.

The station is aimed at the 15-30 demographic as no other station in the area is aimed at this market. 

Good luck with that. Population is ageing and I think that the 'Market' (and advertising revenue) is in the Radio 2 type listener. Stiff competition from Radio 2 but it then falls off a cliff locally. Just my opinion.

Would people really want similar services?

Yup. In my opinion. A similar 'local' service would attract listeners' if the blend was right. In droves I think.

We have a good experienced team behind us to do this to the best of our ability.

I don't doubt that for one moment. And good luck! 

ps. I hope your radio app. is Chromecast enabled as a few people use that! BBC Radio Player added that feature in the last couple of days! Very impressed! 

Yeah I fall into that bracket! In my heart anyway, Im Peter Pan. My DAB is set to BFBS. Good mix on there. No I'm not in the forces, does this mean I cannot listen?

You can't please everyone unless its tailored individually for them, then they still won't be happy for one reason or another.

Still waiting for my car sticker!

I must admit, my radio listening is normally Classic Fm and Sunshine, not that I listen to much radio. A station that does 15-30 sounds like a radio 1 type of thing, so while I will have a gander at like radio to see what it is like, I doubt it will be my sort of thing.

I will have a listen on the computer when it is launched, I have got a DAb radio, but I do not use it as I hate DAB. 

I agree with every thing Roger says above, Hereford population at least is ageing, youngsters are moving out and older people moving in to retire. 

Good luck with that. Population is ageing and I think that the 'Market' (and advertising revenue) is in the Radio 2 type listener. Stiff competition from Radio 2 but it then falls off a cliff locally. Just my opinion.

Yup. In my opinion. A similar 'local' service would attract listeners' if the blend was right. In droves I think.

I don't doubt that for one moment. And good luck! 

ps. I hope your radio app. is Chromecast enabled as a few people use that! BBC Radio Player added that feature in the last couple of days! Very impressed! 

Hi all, you have to remember the station is not just aiming at Hereford. We are available within Worcestershire and parts of Gloucestershire. Research was done using information available from the last census. In the official transmission area as documented by Ofcom, there is around 200 000 15-30 year olds who will be within the target age range for the station. As Ridge Hill is used as one of the transmission points, we will get reasonable coverage in parts of Gloucester and Cheltenham as well. If you increase the age range to 35, this figure increases to over 300 000 people. We haven't even counted Glasgow yet!

Also remember Hereford will be soon a university town as well, meaning this will hopefully have a small positive impact on our target age range totals. I know many people over 30 who listen to Radio 1, Kiss, Captial etc. We have to state a target to ensure we have a definitive plan and market ourselves in the correct way. You won't see us doing wedding fairs, but you will see us doing club nights etc. The target market age was also needed to be quoted to Ofcom for a licence to define our service. 

As I previously mentioned, if you are after the same market as another station, you are fighting for the same advertisers, listeners etc. This way we can get hold of our market and ensure we deliver the service we want to.

Hi all, you have to remember the station is not just aiming at Hereford. We are available within Worcestershire and parts of Gloucestershire. Research was done using information available from the last census. In the official transmission area as documented by Ofcom, there is around 200 000 15-30 year olds who will be within the target age range for the station. As Ridge Hill is used as one of the transmission points, we will get reasonable coverage in parts of Gloucester and Cheltenham as well. If you increase the age range to 35, this figure increases to over 300 000 people. We haven't even counted Glasgow yet!

Also remember Hereford will be soon a university town as well, meaning this will hopefully have a small positive impact on our target age range totals. I know many people over 30 who listen to Radio 1, Kiss, Captial etc. We have to state a target to ensure we have a definitive plan and market ourselves in the correct way. You won't see us doing wedding fairs, but you will see us doing club nights etc. The target market age was also needed to be quoted to Ofcom for a licence to define our service. 

As I previously mentioned, if you are after the same market as another station, you are fighting for the same advertisers, listeners etc. This way we can get hold of our market and ensure we deliver the service we want to.

Good luck and I look forward to the launch. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ian certainly likes to string this out as long as possible! (No pun intended). Some unit on Faraday Road has got to be cheaper than Broad Street where he used to work! Are there any female dj's ..... ? 

Ian certainly likes to string this out as long as possible! (No pun intended). Some unit on Faraday Road has got to be cheaper than Broad Street where he used to work! Are there any female dj's ..... ? 

Our Line up is on our Facebook and Twitter!

Unfortunately no female DJ's at present. We would like to add some in the future but unfortunately none met the standard during the interview process.

We are not stringing this out. Unfortunately our deadlines are managed by other parties. Thankfully Arqiva are in this week installing our kit and Glasgow DAB will be up and running by the end of week. We have taken our time in selecting our line up to get the best we possibly can.

Ryan 

Business Director.

Monday:

00:00: I Like Non Stop Music

07:00: Liam Gilsenan In The Morning

11:00: Craig Jukes

13:00: I Like Anthems with Craig Jukes

14:00: Craig Jukes

15:00: Ian Davies

19:00: I Like Anthems with Ryan Davies

20:00: Ryan Davies

23:00: J-Fresh Urban Fire

Tuesday:

23:00: Bass and Breaks With Mike Swain

Wednesday:

23:00: House Central with Jay Forster

Thursday:

23:00: Drum Code with Adam Beyer

Friday:

19:00: Ryan Davies In The Mix

21:00: Spinnin' Sessions with Spinnin' Records

22:00: Planet Perfecto with Paul Oakenfold

Saturday:

00:00: Toolroom Knights with Mark Knight

02:00: I Like Non Stop Music

10:00: Johnny Robinson

14:00: Ian Davies

18:00: Craig Jukes In The Mix

21:00: Club Life with Tiesto

23:00: Identity with Sander Van Doorn

Sunday: 

00:00: A State of Trance with Armin Van Buuren

02:00: I Like Non Stop Music

11:00: Johnny Robinson

1500: Adam Boyce

19:00: UMF Radio with Ultra Music Festival

21:00: Global with Carl Cox

23:00: Protocol with Nicky Romero

Glad to hear that this is up and running ....  :Happy_32:

Like Radio Playlist

BBC Radio 1 Playlist

BBC linked for comparison purposes only .... And no criticism intended or implied .... LIKE RADIO has targeted an audience which I don't think is catered for in excess locally ... 

Not sure exactly what Youthcomm Radio 106.7 broadcast but they are Worcester based.