Freedom Church Hereford Candidate

Colin James

This is a very worrying prospect.

I'm also concerned that looking at the list of primary and secondary nominators,there are names which would also appear to have a link to Freedom Church.

They are extremely well connected.

Be VERY careful who you vote for. And what they stand for.

Dazza, if you haven't already... Please read The Freedom Church thread I started a few months

There are serious concerns about this group.

Hi dippy, just read it, its unbelievable that this is going on under our noses??

Indeed Denise.

A real party atmosphere down there. Portable toilets arriving, and that sound system which would suit a stadium.....

The troupes being rallied ahead of next weeks election???

One things for sure, I'm glad I don't live next door...

A genuine question now, given the wording on this leaflet, are Freedom Church paying for these leaflets?

Have they made a donation to the local Conservative Party?

Given that they are a charity, if this is the case, is this within the rules??

I would be most grateful if anybody could enlighten me, and answer any of the above questions, which I personally find rather perplexing......

Indeed Denise.

A real party atmosphere down there. Portable toilets arriving, and that sound system which would suit a stadium.....

The troupes being rallied ahead of next weeks election???

One things for sure, I'm glad I don't live next door...

Yes and here is the proof lol  I took this an hour ago, some speech going on, I could hear it back near the snooker centre.

Freedom Church.JPG

Ok folks. Just been reading "Guidance on campaigning and political activities by charities." (part of the .gov.uk website)

"This guidance is focussed on the factors that trustees will need to consider in deciding what is right for them to do. It also makes clear that supporting a political party is not an acceptable form of political activity for a charity."

"Legal requirement. In the political arena, a charity must stress its independence and ensure that any involvement it has with political parties is balanced. A charity must not give support or funding to a political party, nor to a candidate or politician."

Also included in the same guidelines.....

"It is essential to note that charities cannot give their support to a political party."

Hmmm.

Isn't Freedom Church a registered charity???

So who are we being asked to vote for here??

Jon Johnson? The Conservatives?? Or Freedom Church??

I'm a tad confused!

I have just found one of these leaflets, looks like they have some influence with their members on voting perhaps...

Hidden agenda?

I suppose it's quite relevant to find out how 'official' that leaflet was .... Is it from The Freedom Church or a misguided supporter or someone stirring the election pot? 

Political activity must be undertaken by a charity only in the context of supporting the delivery of its charitable purposes. The Freedom Charity is Registered Charity Number: 1008459 

I suppose it's quite relevant to find out how 'official' that leaflet was .... Is it from The Freedom Church or a misguided supporter or someone stirring the election pot?

Political activity must be undertaken by a charity only in the context of supporting the delivery of its charitable purposes. The Freedom Charity is Registered Charity Number: 1008459

I think charities should stay impartial when there's a election on?… there should be no need for them to take sides with any particular political party,as it should make no difference to any charity who's in power!…… unless of course they have a hidden agenda? In which they seek preferential treatment back for there support?!

Just by coincidence today in The Guardian

Shacklewell Lane mosque in east London endorses Reality party’s Nigel Askew in South Thanet, but could be in trouble with the Charity Commission

But the mosque is the headquarters of the UK Islamic Trust, a registered charity, and the Charity Commission says the mosque has been “urgently†contacted to remove the slogan.

“Charity Commission guidance on campaigning and political activity makes clear that a charity must not give its support to any political party or candidate and that all charities must ensure that their independence is maintained and perceptions of independence are not adversely affected,†a spokesman said.

“The commission contacted the charity as a matter of urgency and we have been assured that immediate steps are being taken to remove the advert. We have reminded the trustees of their duties and are in continued correspondence in order to assess whether any further action is necessary.â€

So, who is going to draw this matter to the attention of the Council's returning officer?

Non Tory Candidates have the opportunity to do so .... In the Wormside Ward .... Hardly a high profile issue for next week but their call in my book ....