Herefordshire papers to close

megilleland

BBC H&W Radio News - 4 June 2014

Three local newspapers in Herefordshire are set to close among a series of cuts by owner Midland News Association.

Sister weekly publications The Hereford, Ross-on-Wye and Leominster journals are due to publish their last editions next week.

In all, 76 posts are expected to be affected at MNA titles including the Shropshire Star and Express & Star.

The National Union of Journalists said the closures were a "serious blow" for local communities.

MNA said it hoped the cuts could be made as far as possible through voluntary redundancies.

Twelve editorial posts across the MNA business are set to go, with receptions at Shropshire Star offices in Newport, Bridgnorth, Ludlow and Oswestry also closing.

Chris Leggett, from MNA, said: "At present, the company is in the process of notifying those staff whose applications for voluntary redundancy have been agreed. It is also consulting staff who may be considered for compulsory redundancy.

'Incredibly overworked'
"After 24 years of publishing the Hereford Journal, we have reluctantly taken the decision to close the title."

He added that no editorial jobs would be lost at the Herefordshire weekly papers.

Chris Morley, from the National Union of Journalists, said the closures were a "serious blow" for Herefordshire and believed local communities should have been consulted about the move.

He added that the latest restructuring followed a string of job cuts at the Shropshire Star and Express & Star. He said journalists were already "incredibly overworked" and described MNA's direction as "unsustainable".

Mr Morley said the firm had always prided itself on news coverage and that it was "perverse that a company with those values was seeking to make further cuts".

That'll please the council. One less paper probing into their affairs.

I really like the Journal!

I think it's a great shame that we are losing what is, the only "competition" the HT effectively has.

It's free, it's delivered to your door, and very often it contains more info than you get from the HT.

A sad day for all those folks who face losing their jobs.

The Journal was great, the HT certainly won't be getting my news or advertising fee's.

Of course, this probably now makes us the only city in the world that has just one newspaper... which, if fee-ona was still around would be free reign to up the price again

A sad day indeed. It's a pity that they never tried charging a small fee, maybe 30p or something, I'm sure that would of made a difference

The paper was free in the City but we that live in the " Sticks" had to pay 50p for it .

I also thought that it was a better paper than the HT - thinking perhaps that the HT might now reduce the cost of their paper bearing in mind that it's possible that more advertisers ( except Biomech ) will use the HT for advertising .

Always sad when people lose their jobs , wish them well .

The paper was free in the City but we that live in the " Sticks" had to pay 50p for it .

I also thought that it was a better paper than the HT - thinking perhaps that the HT might now reduce the cost of their paper bearing in mind that it's possible that more advertisers ( except Biomech ) will use the HT for advertising .

Always sad when people lose their jobs , wish them well .

A monopoly will never result in prices being reduced! Just the opposite I imagine.

• Guests
Guest LBJournal

It is very sad that the paper is closing down , I have worked at the journal for 21 years , but there was only one paper that covered Herefordshire not three individual ones as in the above quote .....

We would like to thank all the advertisers and readers who have supported us over the years , I for one will miss it and the people I have worked with but on an optomistic note a well deserved holiday is needed and I am trying to feel positive for the future ...

Hi LBJournal,

So sorry to hear that you are amongst the staff who have lost their jobs. I would hope that with 21 years experience, your expertise will be recognised by a future employer, and you will soon find yourself back in work.

Really hope you can enjoy your well deserved holiday, and that life takes an upward turn.

I have always liked the journal, and I could guarentee if I sent them a story they printed it. I got on well with everyone at the Journal. Thats more than I can say about the HT, they want to get a grip on whoever prints the stories as twice this week they put the wrong healine to the story under neath. I know a lot of people do not buy the HT now since they put it up to £1.20p if they don't pick up their ideas  and reduce the price back to 80p they could find themselves closing as well. I don't buy it anymore I just read their website.