Morrisons Supermarket (Hereford)

Roger

Think that if shoppers DIY at the till they should get a discount off the bill. Having said that , I find that Sainsburys check outs are very slow and do not have many check out operators so the store is driving customers to the self service tills, thereby reducing costs but not the shopping bill.

I see that Morrison's are going to extend their opening hours. They will open at 7.00am and close at 10.00pm. Which more or less brings them in line with Sainsbury.

Saw that ... Will probably mean that the reduced stickers get stuck on later! 

• 1 month later...
Thursday 9 October 2014 in Hereford Times Letters 

MY wife and I went to Morrisons in Hereford on a Sunday in September.

My wife is a holder of a blue badge due to being visually impaired and registered blind.

We spent about an hour shopping. It takes longer due to my wife’s sight impairment.

We then had lunch there. It was a nice sunny day so we sat in the car in the car park and read the Sunday papers before leaving.

On September 18 we received a summons for £85 from Parking Eye, which manages the car parking at the store, for exceeding the parking time limit.

We have appealed by letter and email to no avail. Every day we receive a letter, increasing the charge.

“Cheaper Morrisons� I do not think so. Shoppers beware.

NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED

I read this, and was a tad confused.

I had always assumed that the penalty notice/invoice got stuck on the windscreen at the time.....but as this letter states they were sat in their car at the time, this obviously did not happen.

Instead they received it through the post.....so is there some sort of camera system in place?? Recording times of entry and exit, as well as car registration number plates??

Yes they do, I was working at a Morrison's store in one of the nearby towns and they told me that all their stores have car park cameras that log the entrance and exits times of all vehicles and then send you the 'speculative invoice' in the post if you stay more than 2 hours.

When the company I work for get them they simply send the letter back stating that they will not be paying the fine as it is not legally enforceable and ignore any further correspondence.

I read this, and was a tad confused.

I had always assumed that the penalty notice/invoice got stuck on the windscreen at the time.....but as this letter states they were sat in their car at the time, this obviously did not happen.

Instead they received it through the post.....so is there some sort of camera system in place?? Recording times of entry and exit, as well as car registration number plates??

I posted the signage at this store in post #4 on this thread. It's still there today ... Multiple signs ... Quite high up to avoid vandalism/graffiti I would guess ...

mffa.jpg

The camera's are there too. Covering the one entry and the two exits ... 

3067139_XGXclAAR7ri3kRGt1Ob6EuoDjSkxPysH

The letter from Mr/Mrs Supplied has more holes than a Swiss cheese. The don't make any mention of whether they knew it was 2 hour car park or whether they saw any signage (or were able to easily read it.)  

Also there's no mention of how long they were actually parked.

I do have some sympathy with the recipients of this parking invoice because whatever they received in the post seems to have left them under the impression that it's a 'summons' and maybe something to do with the Court. They might just pay it I suppose. 

In fairness to Morrison's I was in their store this morning. Quite sparsely occupied in-store by customers but the car park was very full. So people basically taking advantage.

You can guarantee tho that the computer will churn out £85 tickets to customers who have spent a good wedge in the shop! Not good for increasing profits when you alienate regular customers! 

• 6 months later...

The rat problem is back outside the shop. I was walking out of the side pedestrian exit at about 17.45 last night and a foot long rat run into the bushes on the right of this picture. Historically they had infested the bushes by the side passage that runs behind the Charcoal Grill ... 

rats.jpg

Do not worry , the. Rats are gathering to have a word with Bobby as he leaves the Commercial in his normal drunken state with a dripping kebab in his hand / or pick up the bits of this lamb ( apologies dippy ) kebab that drop on the wayside

• 3 months later...

People have been moaning on social media about their veg getting weighed wrongly in shops all over the place so when I bought a 'loose' butternut squash at Morrison's today I decided to take some interest. It was weighed at 0.780 k at the staffed checkout and as the rate is £1 exactly per kilo for the item I was charged 78p. 

gv_AGm_Ik9.jpg

I got the item home and weighed it on my own electronic scales that are 100% accurate ... And found I should have been charged 62p

CLFIBOp_Ww_AAOIyk.jpg

I was overcharged by about 25% on this loose item which admittedly is only 16p here. I'm not sure if this was cashier error (by leaning on the scales accidentally) or whether the scales are wrongly calibrated on that till. 

In any event I flagged it up with Morrison's on Twitter. Which means they are compelled to investigate their practices. I've had a reply and the wheels are in motion. 

Roger , I hope that you will advise Trading Standards re this incident .

I won't be unless it happens to me by large margins at least 3 times. I don't perceive Morrison's want incorrect weight issues internally anyway. I did weigh a pre-priced/weighed item from the same shop as a comparison which was a large piece of meat. It said 0.935 kg on the label (in the clingfilm + foam tray) and my scales said the weight was 0.934 kg so well within a margin of error for a different weighing scales. I do regret not weighing the only other loose item weighed at the till today tho. A bunch of bananas. After clocking the squash issue I had already eaten one banana ....  :tongue_32:

You know what Roger I'm really pleased that the new football season is just round the corner so you can fill a bit more of your retirement on the train going to see your mighty team because weighing all your groceries at home must be mind blowing!

• 2 weeks later...

A bit off topic but Morrisons are trying their best ( not very well) to win our custom. I emailed them around Xmas time, when ant and dec  are on the tannoy . I said that if they were to drop those fools it would save a fortune. If there is a special deal on then I don't need 2 talentless idiots to inform me, t b h anyone will do. They were a bit shy at replying.

A bit off topic but Morrisons are trying their best ( not very well) to win our custom. I emailed them around Xmas time, when ant and dec  are on the tannoy . I said that if they were to drop those fools it would save a fortune. If there is a special deal on then I don't need 2 talentless idiots to inform me, t b h anyone will do. They were a bit shy at replying.

What method of contact did you use? By the way they have a Pot Noodle offer on at the moment .... £1.94 for four pots .... Half price ..... 

He eats quite healthily though doesn't he?  

Out of Morrisons Asda and Tesco my preference is Morrisons - some of the assistants need a bit of charm school education but on the whole they're ok.  

They need to charge more for milk as long as they pay the farmer a realistic price though.

There is a lot of issues involved in all this - the value of the pound/the Helal trade/the costs of production in this countryover production worldwide etc etc.  I certainly don't fully understand it but all I can do is to urge the public to buy BRITISH food wherever possible.  British food is like British land once it's gone it's gone!

As a supermarket Morrisons stock a lot of British produce it has just got to get the pricing right on some items.

Maybe off post slightly , but I do take advantage of parking at Morrisons when I visit a nearby location. After I have finished at the nearby location I go into Morrisons and purchase goods to the value of £5.01.

What I am surprised about is the fact that the shopping trolleys are free of charge - this means that trolleys are scatted all over the car park . OK it employes somebody to collect them but surely it's better for the shopper to park them in the trolley park.

I also think that at a stroke they could do away with free carrier bags and the money they receive for carrier bags ( 5p) could be used locally at a well deserving local charity . Just amazes me to see trolleys packed with food in the supermarkets carrier bags.