Baptist Church Drinkers ....

Roger

"The proof will be in the pudding, measure the success of the police approach through your own observations, give it time and then post an honest view whether you are feeling safe in the city"

Maybe I am wrong but I do not think that these 15 British Subjects made the town unsafe - I have never bothered them - and in return they have never bothered me . If at the end of this initiative the 15 are better people sorting out their respective lives and reducing their alcohol intake they will be in a better place but as I said previously , the safety feeling or otherwise will not change either way. We all know that in the main the City is a safe place at most times of the day .

St Owens News is being looked at for furnishing the street drinkers with alcohol ... Who end up around the Castle Green/Duck Pond

Council Website

The narrative on the complaint has all the details ... Suggestions are that 3 litre containers and cans over 6.5 ABV are being sold with not enough diligence ... 

This evening the mobile CCTV was parked up in the Castle Green watching some kids play football

Sadly for the old bill the drinkers were then in the John Venn graveyard with one really nice polite chap sat on the steps begging for cash

I really do sympathise here ... Lack of money and more internet and other sorts of crime that is probably office intensive. But in the absence of an occasional push at the problem (with drunks + beggars) the reality is that the WMP website suggests that the resident Safer Neighbourhood team for the City Centre and beyond only has two warranted Constables ... Their area is on the map ... And I know Keith Ramone and I know he is extremely active on his bicycle ... 

snpt.jpg

This evening the mobile CCTV was parked up in the Castle Green watching some kids play football

Sadly for the old bill the drinkers were then in the John Venn graveyard with one really nice polite chap sat on the steps begging for cash

Why didn't you call the Police? They're clearly keen to sort the begging problem out. You can follow what's happening with their Operation Castlemain on Twitter @HerefordCops. Polite or not, you can see that they're booking people for begging, saying "Please don't give them money in case they spend it on the wrong things." Just a thought...

I have suffered from an incurable illness all my life thiers is self inflicted. epilepsy has nearly killed me that many times i have lost count the last time i ended up with a 50% fracture of my skull but never out of work until the factured skull. i am now close to retirement how my life would have been had i not had the handicap there are genuine people out there who need help for example people who have got a mortgage and lost there jobs through no fault of there own and there homes taken from them by greedy banksters i have no time for people who choose to take drugs and alchaholics they choose that life yet there is plenty of help for people like that which i find difficult to comprehend look on the bright side they are now starting to congregate around the new shopping centre

Hi Chris, I'm genuinely sorry to hear about your epilepsy....I certainly can't imagine what it's like to live with a condition like that.

Like many folks, I too have not had the most straight forward of lives - at one point I was juggling three jobs just to pay the mortgage. There was no such thing as tax credits back then, my other half had decided that the grass was actually greener on the other side, and had upped and left,(the rotten swine!) and working three jobs(whilst looking after the children as well!) was the only option if I didn't want to lose my home.

Things have changed! But even during the most stressful few years of my life, I would never begrudge help being given to anyone, even when it wasn't available to me!

Many of the folks you refer too, are homeless. This in turn can lead to alcoholism and drug taking. Some young people leave home to escape abuse, end up on the streets, and turn to drugs to blot things out......the reasons folk end up homeless and/or with an addiction are many fold. If your life was so incredibly miserable, wouldn't you be tempted to take something which takes the edge off reality??

I fully accept that this is not always the case, I'm just trying to give examples of how some people end up in this situation.

Whilst many of us have lives which are far from perfect, I'm sure not many of us would want to swap places with those on the streets, and battling an illness which may very well end their lives prematurely.
Don't forget, there are many, many functioning addicts in the world......doctors, dentists , teachers, every walk of life you can imagine. You probably come into contact with one on a regular basis......but you just don't know it.

This really is a very small section of our community........to my mind, a bigger issue would be those who have never worked through choice, and are now bringing up the next generation to think it's OK not to have a job........but that's for another thread!

Take care.

Dippy , I agree fully with you on this one .

Chris , very sorry to hear about your epilepsy - like Dippy , I cannot imagine how you manage living with that situation . I can also understand your frustration and at times anger at what you see as an injustice when you hear and read of the amount of Benefit and other Public money being "thrown" at the street drinkers / homelessness and drug users.

Dippy , I agree fully with you on this one .

Chris , very sorry to hear about your epilepsy - like Dippy , I cannot imagine how you manage living with that situation . I can also understand your frustration and at times anger at what you see as an injustice when you hear and read of the amount of Benefit and other Public money being "thrown" at the street drinkers / homelessness and drug users.

I think that's why we need to look for a joined up solution here, Ubique. The Police pushing from one side with their Operation Castlemain, and the partner-agencies pulling from the other with a coherent outreach programme. All that matters is what works - you can forget the rest, because it doesn't work...

As dippy quite rightly pointed out there are some people who are homeless through abuse which must be a terrible thing to happen to anyone and yes they do need help but like a lot of things when you sort the wheat from the chaff a lot are self inflicted i also think dippy has made a great topic saying that children growing up in households when the parents have never worked and the children accept that as the norm i am maybe a bit harsh to some degree because i never had a choice that is why i come across as bitter because when you suffer from epilepsy there are loads of restrictions associated with it there is no cure for my illness they have a chance of a cure.

Hi Chris!

You certainly do not  come across as bitter - far from it! You had a very valid and good point to make, and you did so in a calm and reasonable manner, what's not to like about that???!!

I would hope that whatever job you had in life, you were able to enjoy it, and I would hope that perhaps you have a loving and supportive family around you??

Family and friends are one of the most important things in life. Without them, life would be very bleak!

The problem will get worse with the council 200 million in the red and about to be capped by the government if it exceeds that amount the prospects for this city look grim thanks to a total lack of investment in the wrong areas if we have an infrastructure could someone tell me where and what it is.

Thanks for the kind words Dippy i have a good wife who has been a rock and did have 40 years of working life and achieved a lot in that period as i have just posted regarding the city council who is going to help these people without some major investment in this city it is doom and gloom future is more cutbacks which will enhance the problem

This is an initiative being trailed in London.....

Ankle tags that detect if someone has consumed alcohol will be fitted to offenders as part of a scheme designed to cut down on violent drink-fuelled crime.

The "sobriety tags", which will be worn around the clock, will enforce abstinence by measuring a person's perspiration every 30 minutes and testing to see if it contains alcohol.

If any trace is found, an alert will be sent to the offender's probation officer and they can then be recalled to court, where they could face sanctions such as a fine or be re-sentenced.

The 12-month scheme is being trialled in four London boroughs - Croydon, Lambeth, Southwark and Sutton. It was launched by London Mayor Boris Johnson on Thursday and is based on a successful programme in the US.

The "sobriety tags", which will be worn around the clock, will enforce abstinence by measuring a person's perspiration every 30 minutes and testing to see if it contains alcohol.

If any trace is found, an alert will be sent to the offender's probation officer and they can then be recalled to court, where they could face sanctions such as a fine or be re-sentenced.

I could see this working in some circumstances ... weekend binge drinking yobs for example. But the street drinking alcoholics need booze to function ... In fact going from a lot of booze to zero might actually kill you is my guess. But obviously that is a medical issue that a qualified person would have to address ... 

At the age of 85 I discovered that my mother was drinking at least two litre bottles of Famous Grouse a week. She was a secret drinker , no evidence when I visited her . Only came to my attention because she collapsed and was seen by her Dr.

He said that she must not drink any alcohol , plans were put in place to prevent her from purchasing any , I expected problems but there were not any . Nor has she drunk alcohol since- over 8 years.

She is now 93 , looking fit and well in a very good care home. As an aside she smoked since she was 14 - when she entered to care home at the age of 90 she was asked not to smoke - she has not had a smoke since. When I see her on her birthdays / Christmas I take bottles of non alcohol wine which is enjoyed by her and the other residents.

Moral of this disclosure is that some people can give up alcohol at a stroke without any apparent medical problems etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I was driving back from the shop tonight and noticed that the large gravestone in The Commercial Rd. Burial Ground was encased in rather imposing fencing ... So the Baptist Church drinkers' won't be sat on that anytime soon ... Sorry I haven't got a pic ... I was driving ... 

• 4 weeks later...
Saturday 13 September 2014 in Hereford Times News by Adam Knight

A DRUNK has been banned from drinking in public in Hereford City Centre for two years.

At Hereford Magistrates Court on Tuesday Michael Croke, 48, on St Peter’s Close, Moreton-on-Lugg, was told that if he was found to be in possession of an open vessel in the city centre he could face up to five years in prison.

Croke, who pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly, has amassed 33 convictions since 1997, the majority of which being for theft and public disorder.

He had been arrested following an incident involving staff at Hereford's city centre Boots store.

The arrest came as part of Operation Castlemain – an initiative targeting alcohol-related anti-social behaviour in the city, which is set to wind up in the next couple of weeks.

The Anti Social Behaviour Reduction Team applied for a two-year Criminal Anti Social Behaviour Order (CRASBO) to be applied to Croke which bans him from known ‘hotspots’ in the city centre and prevents him from drinking openly in the street.

Breaching the conditions of his CRASBO could see him arrested, with the offence carrying a maximum sentence of five years imprisonment.

Jim Mooney, Hereford's police licensing and harm reduction coordinator, said: “Mr Croke was given plenty of opportunities to adjust his behaviours, and this CRASBO has been the result of him failing to heed those warnings.

“As part of Operation Castlemain, officers have been targeting specific areas across the city where there have been high levels of alcohol related anti-social behaviour.

“Individuals have been identified who are involved in this type of behaviour causing a direct impact on community confidence.

“The police continue to work with our statutory and voluntary partners across the City to give help and support to both victims and perpetrators alike.

“Anyone who witnesses anybody breaching an ASBO or CRASBO should contact the Police on 101 or via Crimestoppers 0800 555111."

The conditions of Croke's CRASBO are that he not enter the grounds of Hereford Cathedral, be in the vicinity of the Cantilupe Street duck pond, enter Castle Green, Eign Gate or High Street be in possession of an open vessel of alcohol in Hereford City Centre.

'An open vessel of alcohol'! My right nut. Good God is there no end to this bloody strange language. Bloody Hell! I watched the tv the other day and some poor soul was stuck or had been stuck in mud and sand on the beach at Weston Super Mare. Course the senior Police Officer hurtled toward the camera with one thing and only one thing in mind. To get seen and heard on the television.

If I'd been on that beach when he said what he said, I'd have got off the Mule , grabbed him and throttled the life out of him.

What did you fool say? Well, In response to the actual incident, which was, namely, some poor soul getting stuck in the mud, this is what he said. 'We quickly ascertained that a young male was stuck in the mud and sand and after carrying out a dynamic risk assessment we decided to employ the HAND HELD EXCAVATOR'.

The Barstard! The hand held excavator! The bloody swine. Course, he had the hand held excavator in his hand when he did his piece to camera. I saw it. The entire watching nation saw it. It was a bloody shovel or a spade. The Barstard!

And it's just the same with this bloody vessel thing. Any other word, jug, bottle can, glass, mug, jar, cup would have done. But not for our ruling elite. Bloody Vessel! The barstards!

Where I come from a vessel is a boat, a ship of some other floating conveyance designed and intended to get you from one point to another without the ordeal of getting bloody wet.

Vessel! My God!

Bobby

If this particular gentleman had the word "can" against him - and he was seen with a bottle - would he not be ok to drink from the bottle?

What about if the word used against him was "pint" - and he had a mug, not a pint.

Come on Bobby - some officioaldom speak is annoying - but vessel is an all encompassing word that covers every eventuality. 

Prior to returning to Hereford I lived in Torbay , Devon . In 1995 the below named had over 130 convictions for alcohol and anti social behaviour . For his lunch and dinner he used to enter a well known Pizza resturant and grab a pizza from a customers plate . It took until 2007 to ban him from Torquay and Newton Abbot - so he moved to Exeter where his behaviour continued . He is now banned from Exeter City Centre so he has moved to Plymouth where , I am sure , the same anti social behaviour will continue .

What is the answer - I haven't a clue - well I have but my opinion means nothing.

Skinner has been issued with a Criminal Anti-Social Behaviour Order by Exeter Magistrates Court. He must stay away from the city centre for six months. Breaching the order is an imprisonable offence.

Skinner, 43, became infamous in Torquay and Newton Abbot until he was banned by ASBO's in 2007. He has been living rough in Exeter but is now understood to be on the streets of Plymouth.

Read more: http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Glenn-Skinner-Torquay-s-world-famous-tramp-gets/story-22910851-detail/story.html#ixzz3DCxgeJU8

Follow us: @TQHeraldExpress on Twitter | theheraldexpress on Facebook

Read more at http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/Glenn-Skinner-Torquay-s-world-famous-tramp-gets/story-22910851-detail/story.html#MJSFxhgV2mSprkgM.

I sympathise with people trying to sort out these persistent/repeat offenders like Mr. Croke. Every sort of thing he does at the moment is already illegal but the penalties for street drinking or drunk and disorderly are just not very tough. People who do get banged up overnight (having been refused bail) seem to just get wheeled into Court the next day and the sentence is time served in the cell the previous night. Then they get loosed out to go back to the off licence.

I'm not 100% sure about the exact terms of Crokes CRASBO as the last paragraph of the HT report is not totally clear but in any event it seems wide ranging and something that he is unlikely to keep to looking at his track record. It seems a perfect scenario to set him up to fail. I'm not saying that is a good or bad thing but in the real world that is probably going to be the result.

I don't know what is totally the correct disposal if he is found lolling around with a can/bottle of booze in one of those banned areas but it is definitely not 5 years in prison. That would never happen anyway. I would have thought the first/second  breach he might get a low level/non custodial disposal. I suppose the first time he gets properly jailed (if it ever came to that) he would get 28 days or something. Whether that would achieve very much is doubtful as I can't see him getting any meaningful help in jail.

• 1 month later...

3258305.jpg?htype=217&display=1&type=mc2

This Michael Croke fella found it too difficult to keep to his booze ASBO ... The cops tweeted yesterday that he's got 12 weeks inside ... Not quite the 5 years he was threatened with but that's an empty threat anyway ... Sorry no news link available ...

• 4 months later...

Operation Castlemain draws to a close.

Meanwhile patrols are stepped up in The Churchill Gardens to combat drugs offences.

Full reports on both points are online at HT..... apologies for not being able to provide a handy link!