Noteworthy Hereford and Herefordshire personalities

megilleland

Not sure if the title is right for this topic, but a place to add people who you think have put Hereford and the County on the map through their lives, careers and interests. It should be a long list - just add a name and a link for further information if you have it. I will start with John Bulmer as his photography inspired me to think about this.

Revd John Venn. He was vicar of St Peter’s Church in the 19th century and Hereford's greatest philanthropist who worked tirelessly for the welfare of the city’s poor.

He set up the Hereford Society for Aiding the Industrious in 1833 (which is still doing good work today) and brought baths, allotments, a corn mill (now Berrows House) and a soup kitchen to people in Bath Street and Portfields. Buried in Commercial St graveyard.

Megilleland: Here are five more local heroes for you to add to the name of John Bulmer: Brian Hatton, Violette Szabo, Thomas Traherne, John Venn and Alfred Watkins.  For my money, Violette Szabo is the most shamefully under-recognised of them all (put her name into Wikipedia's search engine to find out what she did).

Finally, can I suggest an illustration to head up your dedicated website page?  Tom Denny's amazing Trehearne stained glass windows in Hereford Cathedral (easily Googled).

Not quite Hereford but believe it or not but Horatio Nelson was from Monmouth there is a good listing here.

Frank Oz like Biomech has already mentioned and Sean Hince for Visual Effects is also from Hereford and David Garrick, now on the plate pictures above it says he was born in 1716 yet on IMDB here it states 1717?

Richard Hammond (Top Gear) lives in Weston under Penyard (Ross on Wye).

Andy Mcnab (Author and former SAS soldier).

@ Ubique:  Two years ago, when the Edgar Street Grid was but a twinkle in the eye of Hereford Futures' MD Jonathan Bretherton, I wrote to him and said that towards the end of the scheme (like now), they would surely be scratching around to find names for all the scheme's walks and squares and alleyways.  And wouldn't it be nice if one was named Szabo Square.  Never even received an acknowledgement!

Wishful thinking on my part, I suppose.  Shoppers don't want to be reminded of a 23-year-old SOE wartime heroine executed by the SS in Ravensbruek, when there are so many more ably-qualified contenders for 'municipal recognition' across the Edgar Street Grid's pedestrianised shopping paradise. 

What Stanhope should give us is a Jarvis Plaza in front of the Multiplex, a Blackshaw Boulevard, a Wilcox Walk, a Phillips Passage and a very grand Olwyn Avenue.

^^ I hope that's not the final product?

Actually it is. Obviously its all been under water for several weeks  because the Env Agency wouldn't let them lift it a couple of feet, so that may have improved it. They're cut out of Corten, the miracle steel that goes rusty (yeah, someone fell for that marketing spiel). They're fixed into more concrete than you would put in a house foundation.

In the new "shopping centre" there should be something  to commemorate what the site was before - perhaps a statute of a Hereford Bull/a little farmyard scene/the much adored Deanley Cafe where people enjoyed many a good breakfast/the very popular traders on a Wednesday where many a good bargain has been had.  All very sentimental I know but we should be reminded of what once was.  

Actually it is. Obviously its all been under water for several weeks  because the Env Agency wouldn't let them lift it a couple of feet, so that may have improved it. They're cut out of Corten, the miracle steel that goes rusty (yeah, someone fell for that marketing spiel). They're fixed into more concrete than you would put in a house foundation.

Oh wow. Personally, I don't like the statues, but each to their own. But it;s the site that I find shocking, it's looks like they've put them up in a scrap yard, just gravel and cement. Why didn't they put them on grass or lay grass or ... anything... to make it look more athestically pleasing