Noteworthy Hereford and Herefordshire personalities

megilleland

• 2 weeks later...
Robert Francis Kilvert (3 December 1840 – 23 September 1879), always known as Francis, or Frank, was an English clergyman remembered for his diaries reflecting rural life in the 1870s, which were published over fifty years after his death.

A John Betjeman BBC television documentary on Kilvert, called Vicar of this Parish, was shown in 1976. This led to Kilvert's Diary being dramatised (18 x 15 minute episodes)[2] on British television between 1977 and 1978, with Timothy Davies in the title role. All episodes survive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do surveys for the War Memorial Trust , just carried one out at Holy Trinity Church , Whitecross Road , Hereford and found the following name on the War Memorial in the Church Yard.

Major Charles A L Yate VC ....

You can Google him to find out his history , the problem that I have at the moment is that he resided at Madeley near to Telford and served in the Kings own Yorkshire Light Infantry , to date I have not found a Hereford connection , hence this post - hoping that somebody has knowledge of local connections . ( I am, of course making further enquiries in his home town and with the KOYLI Museum in Doncaster )

• 1 month later...

William Pulling and Co were important Cider Merchants and Gin Distillers in Hereford from 1813 to1979.  When the business was sold in the early 1980s they left 150 years of invoices, letters, bank books and ledgers.  Some were thrown out, but a large number survive.  These are currently being catalogued by volunteers in the Cider Museum.  They include good records for the 1820s, 1840s to 1860s, the 1890s and 1920s. 

Societies which Mr Pulling was associated with: 

Herefordshire and District Working Boys Home (1887, 1888)

William Pulling began as a cider merchant and extended his interests into river transport, the bark and slate trade and finally, into one of the biggest drinks trades in the region.  He began making gin in 1813 and continued until 1939, using the same stills but different recipes, finally developing the Hereford Dry Gin brand. 

Come as see how gin was made in Hereford   

The Pulling Exhibition is running April 23rd to end of October 2014.

The Cider Museum, Pomona Place, Hereford HR4 0EF

Yes but we also have all the boys from THE WHO DARES WINS regiment past & present!! Many of whom are unknown to the outside world other than by there motto & the three letter symbol of SAS!!! but like myself I'm sure many locals will know a few of the guys personally? So I nominate the SAS for the tough job they do!!!

William Pulling and Co were important Cider Merchants and Gin Distillers in Hereford from 1813 to1979.  When the business was sold in the early 1980s they left 150 years of invoices, letters, bank books and ledgers.  Some were thrown out, but a large number survive.  These are currently being catalogued by volunteers in the Cider Museum.  They include good records for the 1820s, 1840s to 1860s, the 1890s and 1920s. 

Societies which Mr Pulling was associated with: 
Herefordshire and District Working Boys Home (1887, 1888)

William Pulling began as a cider merchant and extended his interests into river transport, the bark and slate trade and finally, into one of the biggest drinks trades in the region.  He began making gin in 1813 and continued until 1939, using the same stills but different recipes, finally developing the Hereford Dry Gin brand. 

Come as see how gin was made in Hereford   
The Pulling Exhibition is running April 23rd to end of October 2014.
The Cider Museum, Pomona Place, Hereford HR4 0EF

There was a bonded warehouse in East Street, opposite the Methodist Church, that was converted into terraced houses in the 1980's and is called 'Pulling's Mews'. I assume that this was originally owned by Pulling - some of the documents in the link refer to a bonded warehouse in the vicinity of St Owen's Street.

• 5 months later...
Herefordshire Council News: 03 November 2014

The eagerly awaited Herefordshire History website is launching on Remembrance Day Tuesday 11 November 2014.

Herefordshire History is a fantastic new local history website, developed by Herefordshire Council’s libraries service. The site brings together a range of fascinating items from different collections held by the council’s libraries, archives and museum services including newspaper articles, local postcards and posters from the First World War; Alfred Watkins photographs and a burial certificate from 1688, which is the oldest item currently on the website.

Jan Nesaratnam, Herefordshire Council’s senior librarian, said: “We are so proud of the new website, which due to the vast amount of material available has taken three years to create, with over 15,000 photographs, maps, posters, pamphlets, letters and diaries being digitally recorded for, in many cases, the first time ever.

“Some of the most poignant items we’ve placed on the website have come from the Herefordshire in the Great War project, which is funded by the council and the Heritage Lottery Fund, including municipal burial records and items kindly donated by the relatives of local soldiers.

“We are continuing to add more items all the time, especially as we move through time towards the present day and are keen for people to get involved in the project. We are always looking for new images to be donated, along with volunteers to help us digitally record our collections. We also welcome fundraising to extend the project.â€

The website will be officially launched on Remembrance Day at Hereford Museum and Art Gallery and will mark the last day of the Herefordshire in the Great War exhibition.

For a sneak preview of this fascinating free website* ahead of the official launch, visit www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk.

To find out more about the project, volunteer or donate items, please e-mail herefordshirehistory@herefordshire.gov.uk. You can also keep up to date with the latest news at www.facebook.com/herefordshirehistory.

* The website is free to use, although a charge will be made for purchasing images.

Looks a useful resource.

ALLAN LEONARD LEWIS VC .BORN WHITNEY ON WYE

HE MOVED WITH HIS FAMILY TO NEATH AND WORKED WITH GWR .

L/CPL Jones of the Northampton Regt. was awarded the VC in 1918 when he was killed in action.

dated 28th Jan., 1919, records the following:-"For most conspicuous bravery at Ronssoy on the 18th September, 1918, when in command of a section on the right of an attacking line held up by intense machine gun fire. L./Cpl. Lewis observing that two enemy machine guns were enfilading the line, crawled forward singlehanded, and successfully bombed the guns, and by rifle fire later caused the whole team to surrender, thereby enabling the line to advance. On 21st September, 1918, he again displayed great powers of command, and, having rushed his company through the enemy barrage, was killed whilst getting his men under cover from heavy machine gun fire. Throughout he showed a splendid disregard of danger, and his leadership at a critical period was beyond all prais

Lewis joined the army in Neath in March 1915 and in doing so he left his job without seeking official permission from his employer !

This seems to have been too much to bear for the then managers of the GWR, and they long harboured a small-minded grudge against the man who was to die seven weeks before the end of the war.

Indeed, not even the award of a posthumous VC served to change their minds.

Other railway employees who won a VC had locomotives named after them, but this honour was never afforded to Lewis by GWR, as officialdom continued to treat him as a pariah.

This extraordinary attitude clearly affected perceptions of Lewis in Neath, where the authorities regarded him as “troubleâ€, and because of this they did not include his name on any war memorial.

There is a Campaign active at the moment in Neath to have L/CPL Jones VC name engraved on their War Memorial.

• 3 months later...

This is a hero......not well know - but a hero .

I visited Mr XXXXXX today , he is 97 in August , I found him to be quite reluctant to talk about his experience during WW2 ,

however , without being forceful I gleaned the following from him.

Mr XXXX was Called Up on New Years Day 1940. After Training he joined 2 Searchlight Regt RA and sent to Northern France attached to K Bty RHA with orders to help hold the small village of Hondeghem , Northern France , which was on the Germans main axis of advance. The troops fought a valiant action then, running short of ammunition,they charged the German positions and broke through, giving them a route out towards Dunkirk. By the 28th of May 1940 , 2 Searchlight Regiment had lost over 50 men killed and approximately half the Regiment captured including Mr XXXX, 21 years old.

He was then transported to Germany in May 1940 , his first of many POW Camps was Stalag 13A . ( as an aside , Mr XXXXX brother was in the same Regiment and made it to Dunkirk and was repatriated back to the UK )

In the POW Camps for the first 3 years he was sent to work repairing roads , cutting tres down etc for the final 2 years he worked on a farm, he added that if there was a best part of his captivity was working on the farm - they were able to beg / steal food easier. Their normal routine was being fed their one meal of the day at 4pm consisted of a bowl of " soup " and a slice of bread. Prior to his capture he weighed just over 14 Stone , on his released 6.5 Stone.

In January 1945 the Camp gates were opened , the Guards disappeared and they were told to walk to the Baltic coast - about 3500 POWs set off. He recalls that on route they were fed a handful of potatoes per person per day . As they approached the coast they were told that they were walking in the wrong direction and guided towards Germany , after walking for over 850 miles they finally met up with American Forces who "liberated " them . This was in May 1945. It appears that the Americans had met up with a number of POW groups walking to freedom - Mr XXXX told me that whilst he was eating lunch in the US Food Kitchen he heard somebody shout " XXXXX, is that you ? " That was his long time best friend who got separated when they were captured. It was , apparently a very happy reunion.

He arrived back in the UK to be demobbed in August 1945. He then spent the rest of his working life in Hereford .

• 3 weeks later...

What an incredible story, and what a life he's lived.

Amazing. We owe this generation so much.

Thanks for taking the time to share this with us, Ubique. (Apologies for my late response, I have only just seen it.)

This gentleman certainly fits the bill of being a noteworthy Herefordian.

I can't believe Edward Elgar has not been mentioned in more detail here. I only found out, after I was asked to lead a cycle ride in connection with this years Three Choirs Festival. Having myself, not much knowledge about this great man, I read about this local character and discovered the impact he made on British orchestral music during his time in Hereford from 1904 to 1911. I think I can say his time spent cycling in the area greatly helped his musical compositions and without his cycling trips around the Herefordshire and Worcestershire countryside he may of struggled to create many of his musical masterpieces. Well known for his Egnima Variations and Land of Hope and Glory - if there was a musical piece relevant to today's state of the nation this is it. He has lifted peoples spirits and created an atmosphere and unity through his music over the last decades to make you proud to be British.

There are around 65 roads in the UK named after Elgar, including six in the counties of Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Among these are eleven Elgar Avenues, including one in Malvern, and another close to the house where Elgar lived, Plâs Gwyn in Hereford. 

From 1999 until early 2007, new Bank of England twenty pound notes featured a portrait of Elgar. The change to remove his image generated controversy, particularly because 2007 was the 150th anniversary of Elgar's birth. From 2007 the Elgar notes were phased out, ceasing to be legal tender on 30 June 2010.

Is this when the decline of Great Britain started?

The ride will be on Sunday 26th July 2015 from the Cathedral Close by the Elgar/bicycle statue - time to be confirmed. Telephone 01432 353971 for details closer to the date.  All welcome.