Welcome To Poland Graffiti AGAIN!

Colin James

This is a nice welcome sign coming into Hereford. Some sad person has decided to illegally spray the word Poland across the word Hereford on the welcome sign coming into Hereford on the A465 Belmont Road.

(You may have already guessed which road by the amount of traffic in the picture)

wtp.jpg g2.jpg

If the Council have anything about them they should instruct Amey to remove this immediately or at the very least cover it, so lets see how long this takes them to sort out.

I have reported this directly to Amey who have informed me that several signs were sprayed during the night and that this would be removed as a matter of urgency today.

Sad idiots! You will probably find that the person who sprayed this would not know the difference between a Polish or Romanian national. They just assume that all foreign speaking people are Polish. I hope that Amey take note and that Colin's phone call gets things moving. This is disgusting. :Thumbs-Down:

I hate sad racists, obviously they have nothing better to do...I wonder if any of this activity has been caught on CCTV? How embarrassing for the Police when this sort of thing is happening within a few metres of a Police station and right under their noses.

A good point raised here Rebecca. Slightly embarrassing :Blushing_32:

This Road Sign is one of many that have been defaced across the entire County during the last few weeks and months. Im fairly sure that a Police Inspector recently described one such offence in Leominster as something akin to a prank.

This ain't no prank. This is most certainly no prank. This is the work of fools who have become increasingly intolerant to our East European visitors and sadly, this intolerance is growing within our society and thus far, nothing is being said or done to try and correct our course and promote some good and healthy social cohesion.

Some might say, lock them up, brand them bigots and racists and throw away the key. I can most certainly go along with that view but.........We have to grasp this stinging nettle and understand that this feeling of intolerance is growing and is becoming more overt than we would like. The reality is that when several thousand people from different Countries and Cultures arrive within a very short space of time there will be consequences.

The reason these fools are doing this and taking this stupid course of action is because they resent this huge social change to their community and they feel that no one person will say anything to represent their views. Whichever way you think or whichever way you dress this very sensitive issue, the only way we can deal with this is to start talking openly about this rapidly growing and very uncomfortable problem.

My very warmest regards.

Uncomfortable for who? I have no problem with any European coming to live in the UK, after all, we are all members of the EU are we not? I think the problem is that we are at capacity as a country and we have to close the doors until such times as these numbers begin to decrease.

I lived in Germany for a number of years and there were similar issues there with British people and forces personnel. I remember reading a sign saying a very similar thing and some that said a lot worse, so please do not be naive to think that this sort of thing only happens here. It should NOT happen at all, why can't everybody just live together and get on?

Well done to Amey for removing this crap so quickly :Thumbs-Up: :Thumbs-Up: :Thumbs-Up:

Hello Victor, Thank you so much for your response. In your Posting you've implied that Im somewhat naive for thinking Hereford is alone in suffering this form of illicit activity. I've read my Posting and I've not said that or implied that. You've pulled it up out of thin air and suggested these are my thoughts. I've no idea why you would want to do that.

You suggest that we should simply close the doors because we are full up. I would not want us to do that or even consider breaking the EU laws. For my part we are in the EU and whilst we are within their jurisdiction we have to comply with the laws that we have signed up to. I also don't think that this would be a helpful message to our EU partners or the good people from East Europe.

As for your time spent in Germany I know you are right because I to have some experience of that but our presence in that Country was as you know entirely down to World War 2 and the Cold War between us in the West and Eastern Europe and had nothing to do with demographics and migratory changes that have happened because of the EU.

You ask the question,'uncomfortable for who'?. Im with you on this. I like the people of East Europe but our feelings ain't really the point of my Posting. You and I might be happy that our society has undergone a rapid change but the truth is that we are in a minority. People all across Hereford feel very hurt by this change that they never asked for and it's this growing anger that germinates the fools who are going around the County and protesting. And this defacing of road signs is exactly that. It's a protest by people who feel they have no voice.

I in no way agree or have any sympathy with their stupid actions but I can see why they feel they have no voice because no local political leaders will broach the subject and deal with this problem.

As for the future, the austerity cuts in Greece and Spain are soon going to kick in and the young generation will soon leave their homeland and perhaps settle here. I don't blame these good people at all. I'd do exactly the same thing.

In January, 2014, both Romania and Bulgaria will have completed their accession into the EU and these good people will be on the move and it's likely that many will settle here in the UK. Again, who can blame them. I'd be doing exactly the same thing.

I want this! I want our leaders to recognise this growing problem, use their positions of influence and create a better social and community cohesion that sees us all living side by side at ease with one another.

Putting it simply Victor, Im tired of hearing everyone and his dog moaning and groaning about our new reality and I fear that unless something positive is done things will get worse.

There are ways to bring people together. Sport, Music. The Arts and dialogue. That's what I want.

Rebecca, In a rather odd way, I'd actually argue with you regarding your description of these people as 'sad racists'. Are they sad? Yep. But are they actually and really racist in the true sense of the word?

I really ain't so sure they are racist. Within the definition of the Criminal Law and particularly the provisions of the Public Order Act you are right. They are most definitely racist and if caught they'd most certainly be convicted for causing criminal damage with aggravating factors, namely to incite hatred of a minority group. But, given the way our society is nowadays after years of social engineering by the past few governments and the fact that nobody is allowed to express their view on this type of issue, this form of protest, albeit idiotic, wrong and unlawful is a form of expression and a clear statement saying, 'we've had enough'.

My argument is a stupid one I know. On the one hand Im acknowledging you are right but on the other Im putting myself in the mindset of the fools that are doing this and saying that they may not be 'true stereotypical racists' but a group who feel strongly that they have no voice and must take a form of positive action.

I don't believe these people dislike the Polish people or any other East European group. I believe they have the little England mindset and they want their Country to remain as it once was. That's why I conclude they are sad, foolish criminals who shame themselves and the rest of us but they ain't racist.

Rebecca, I more or less agree with all you have said other than the racism issue, which I concede I may be wrong about. My point is these fools have simply sprayed 'Poland' on the sign. Two vowels and three consonants. It's word. The name of a Country. Why does it have to be concluded that its a racist remark. The clumsy point Im trying to illustrate is that because of social engineering we all see things very differently than we once did. I honestly think there is room to argue that spraying Poland after the word Welcome doesn't necessarily mean its racist.

My warmest regards.

And my best wishes to you. Well done for fighting your corner and making your point. It's such a good thing that these issues that can be so destructive to a future social and community cohesion are discussed openly. Who knows? Maybe our exchange will encourage others of all ethnic groups to talk. That's the way forward.

• 1 month later...

I see that the Welcome to Hereford sign has been defaced yet again! Looking at the style of writing I would bet that this is the same idiot!

g2.jpg

I have reported this to Herefordshire council today and given the reference number CAS/222865 I was told that Amey will be informed.

Don't beat yourself up my good friend Colin. These signs are being defaced all the time and all over the place and sadly, I can see no end to it.

The Council are cleaning them up and the Police are investigating them but until they do as M. Preece suggests and pop a camera on one of the many locations that are being targeted, they ain't going to get detected.

A side issue to this saga, which isn't to distant from a civil liberty issue is that the Council, the Police and possibly the Hereford Times are not reporting these crimes to the general public. I would guess and say its because they do not wish to promote or acknowledge the idea there is any local civil unrest regarding this issue in Herefordshire.

Of course, if that is the reason and its a noble cause, the problem is that the local authorities and the media are weeding at the coal face and between them they are deciding upon what news we should be given and what news we shouldn't be given.

In other words, they decide what we can know and what we can be trusted to know.

I have just come off the phone to Amey, nothing will be done until tomorrow morning. I have also rang the police and suggested either ajusting their own camera pointing towards the sign or contact Three Counties Hotel and McDonalds to see if they will pay for a camera between them. I wait for a reply.

I have just come off the phone to Amey, nothing will be done until tomorrow morning. I have also rang the police and suggested either ajusting their own camera pointing towards the sign or contact Three Counties Hotel and McDonalds to see if they will pay for a camera between them. I wait for a reply.

Why would McDonald's or the Three Counties Hotel pay towards a camera? I am sure that the fact that a Council sign has been defaced is nothing to do with them? They may well allow a camera to be positioned on their property though. something needs to be done as this is racists and disgusting in my opinion, if the sign said something about black people there would be major implications! The same should apply here.

M.Preece, Regarding your point about race and how we would react if this was aimed at say, black or Asian people you make a very good point and try as I might, I can't think of a single way that I can argue with you....but, like my lovely debate with Rebecca, I ain't entirely convinced the authors of this message are strictly speaking being racist. I am still of the view that this is politically motivated but I do accept that I am probably wrong.

My very warmest regards to you.

The reason why I suggested to the police to ask Three Counties or McDonalds is that I am sure they would complain quick enough if these lads did it to their property. I am thinking that the hotel may already have a camera as security round their car park and accomodation.

I see your point but you suggested that they pay for camera between them and I do not think that they will. As for them having camera on their property, yes they may well be happy to point them in the direction of the sign, but I think both are probably too far away to be able to give clear identity.

M.Preece, Regarding your point about race and how we would react if this was aimed at say, black or Asian people you make a very good point and try as I might, I can't think of a single way that I can argue with you....but, like my lovely debate with Rebecca, I ain't entirely convinced the authors of this message are strictly speaking being racist. I am still of the view that this is politically motivated but I do accept that I am probably wrong.

My very warmest regards to you.

Bobby, their reasons could be racists or political, half the time the idiots doing this sot of thing have nothing better to do!