Redundant South Wye Notice Board

Colin James

Redundant South Wye Notice Board...

I could not help but take a picture of this notice board, all the leaflets and information within are totally faded and in some case completely blank due to sever fading or lack of up keep.

How much did this notice board originally cost? I remember attending a meeting of the Belmont Parish last year and the topic of a new notice boards came up and I could not believe the costs that were being considered for new signs! if I remember correctly a new aluminium notice board for Belmont was in the region of £4000+!! yes that's right you did read it correctly £4000+ I am not sure what the outcome was in the end.

Who is responsible for the notice boards and why is this particular one been left in such poor state?

southwyesign.jpg

"We can make it better" ha ha I wish someone would...

Redundant South Wye Notice Board...

I could not help but take a picture of this notice board, all the leaflets and information within are totally faded and in some case completely blank due to sever fading or lack of up keep.

How much did this notice board originally cost? I remember attending a meeting of the Belmont Parish last year and the topic of a new notice came up and I could not believe the costs that were being considered for new signs! if I remember correctly a new aluminium notice board for Belmont was in the region of £4000+!! yes that's right you did read it correctly £4000+ I am not sure what the outcome was in the end.

Who is responsible for the notice boards and why is this particular one been left in such poor state?

post-35-13302954532328_thumb.jpg

"We can make it better" ha ha I wish someone would...

You are correct in regard to cost of the notice board in Belmont, I do not know what the end result was as I am no longer a parish councillor, and no longer receive the parish council paperwork.

In regard to the notice board at the Oval it belongs to the Information Centre, it has been like that since they took over from my group in the year 2000.I and others have pointed out the condition of it to them, they said it is broken that is why no new information is inside. It was originally erected in 1999 when the South Wye Regeneration Board (SRB) monies was allocated to the five estates in South Wye. The other four notice boards are still in good condition and being used

they are the resonsibility of the Putson, Hinton,Redhill and Hunderton residents associations. As the Newton Farm Community Association exists in name only and appears on the top of the Information centre sign it is their responsibility to keep it in good condition.

As your new parish councillor is a paid worker at the Information Centre she would be the ideal person to approach.

You are correct in regard to cost of the notice board in Belmont, I do not know what the end result was as I am no longer a parish councillor, and no longer receive the parish council paperwork.

In regard to the notice board at the Oval it belongs to the Information Centre, it has been like that since they took over from my group in the year 2000.I and others have pointed out the condition of it to them, they said it is broken that is why no new information is inside. It was originally erected in 1999 when the South Wye Regeneration Board (SRB) monies was allocated to the five estates in South Wye. The other four notice boards are still in good condition and being used

they are the resonsibility of the Putson, Hinton,Redhill and Hunderton residents associations. As the Newton Farm Community Association exists in name only and appears on the top of the Information centre sign it is their responsibility to keep it in good condition.

As your new parish councillor is a paid worker at the Information Centre she would be the ideal person to approach.

Well if I offer to fix it for them, perhaps they will allow me to put the Belmont Voice Website flyer in there.

The result was published in September 2009 minutes but I cannot find the cost of the notice board.

105/09 Dorchester Way Notice Board

Some members attended a site visit to the proposed location of the new notice board for Dorchester Way and discussed a note from Councillor Stuart Taylor who was unable to attend the meeting regarding a suitable location. After some discussion, it was proposed by Councillor Powell that the notice board be located in the middle of a rectangle of grass adjacent to the CH7 footpath where it crosses Dorchester Way, set forward approximately 2 meters from the timber rail boundary to Abbey View Park East. The proposal was unanimously agreed. It was further agreed that the board be set at a height so that it can be easily read and that paving slabs be embedded immediately surrounding the board so that those who wish to read it can do so without slipping on wet grass. The use of gravel was discussed and rejected on the grounds that gravel might damage lawn mowers and might be used as missiles by vandals.

The Clerk was instructed to make the necessary arrangements with the contractor and to give notice of the intended work on the Community Website.

Finally it was agreed that consideration be given to reviewing the Communications Policy with regard to advising neighbouring properties of work being carried out on behalf of the Parish Council.

Found it within August 2009 minutes a bit cheaper than £4000 but still very expensive.

Border Signs & Graphics Ltd.

Notice board for Dorchester Way £1,650.00

VAT thereon £247.50

Total payment: £1,897.50

83/09 Clerk's Report

(a) Notice Board

It was noted that the notice board for Dorchester Way has now been delivered. The Clerk has received two quotations for installation amounting to £200 - £300 and £195.00. Both quotations deliver the project within the agreed budget. The Clerk was authorised to accept the lower quotation and arrange for installation.

Still over £2000, seems a lot to me.

Found it within August 2009 minutes a bit cheaper than £4000 but still very expensive.

Still over £2000, seems a lot to me.

I was still a PC when the notice board was discussed for Dorchester Way,that was for the wooden notice board not the metal one, I also attended the site visit because residents complained they could see the notice board from their garden, my proposal was unanimously agreed with, and as I suggested the board was moved forward and closer to the folliage so that it could not be seen from the residents garden. The cost was for the inital erection of the notice board, also for the relocating. It may seem expensive but the wooden board is the same as all other boards in Belmont Parish, and felt more in keepong with the area.

• 1 month later...

The notice board at the oval can not be repaired it has to be replaced, there is a notice for BV in the widow of the Information Centre I read it last night.

The notice for BV that was in the window seems to have been removed? I was looking in the window last night, there is noting on the door either?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I only noticed this topic when I clicked on the "Todays Topics" tab. So has there been an update?

I refer back to a previous post, as one of the city paish councillors together with Councillor Edwards we both ask the city parish council for new community notice boards for both Newton Farm and Hunderton, we had a site meeting a few months ago as to where to locate the new community boards, one will be on the open space right of the chip shop at the Oval, the other will be located by the blossom trees by Blackmarston Road.We chose the same style notice board as the ones in the city. I will telephone the town clerk tomorrow and ask for an update as to when they will be installed.

I refer back to a previous post, as one of the city paish councillors together with Councillor Edwards we both ask the city parish council for new community notice boards for both Newton Farm and Hunderton, we had a site meeting a few months ago as to where to locate the new community boards, one will be on the open space right of the chip shop at the Oval, the other will be located by the blossom trees by Blackmarston Road.We chose the same style notice board as the ones in the city. I will telephone the town clerk tomorrow and ask for an update as to when they will be installed.

I have spoken with the Town Clerk today, he has advised me that the locations that Cllr Edwards and I chose

belong to Highways so we will have to ask their permission to install them, again I will advise when highways give their answer.

All this money wasted, I am not convinced that many people actually read them.

It was the residents of Newton Farm and Hunderton who asked for new community notice boards to replace the old broken ones, like they have in Belmont, except these will be black metal with a location map on the rear for relevent estate and local information on the front.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...