Young Drivers & Litter - Spur Retail Park Hereford

Young car drivers gather most nights on the Spur Retail Park Holmer Road Hereford. (Halfords | Dunelm | Hobbycraft | Maplin) most of the time they are sat in the car park in their cars.

Gates were installed only a few months ago and it is down to the last manager to leave the park to lock the gates. This happened during the first few weeks only and now the gates never appear to be locked at night. 

These drivers sit there for hours and just throw all of their rubbish out onto the floor, this is disgusting! There are bins provided so there is really no excuse. 

It would be good to catch the culprits and have them prosecuted, I have already taken a few photographs and logged number plates.

Spur Retail Park.jpg

Private car park or not action can be taken by the police. SECTION59 notices concern the use of a vehicle in a manner that cause annoyance, harassment or distress. Police issue a notice which is valid against the driver AND vehicle for 12 months. If the driver or someone else driving the same vehicle acts in a similar manner in the 12mths, the car is seized and a large release fee has to be paid PLUS the insurance company are told AND they do cancel the drivers insurance.

So if this conduct effects you, report it to the police (be prepared to give a written statement) and I can assure you action will be taken.

It's not about persecution of young (ish) drivers but about treating issues seriously and stopping this stupid and sometimes dangerous behaviour

Private car park or not action can be taken by the police. SECTION59 notices concern the use of a vehicle in a manner that cause annoyance, harassment or distress. Police issue a notice which is valid against the driver AND vehicle for 12 months. If the driver or someone else driving the same vehicle acts in a similar manner in the 12mths, the car is seized and a large release fee has to be paid PLUS the insurance company are told AND they do cancel the drivers insurance.

So if this conduct effects you, report it to the police (be prepared to give a written statement) and I can assure you action will be taken.

It's not about persecution of young (ish) drivers but about treating issues seriously and stopping this stupid and sometimes dangerous behaviour

Thank you for this information. I was not aware of Section 59  :Thumbs-Up:

Have just caught up on the HVFB page - dear God is that the intelligence level of the 18-25 year old demographic? The bins are full, better leave it on the floor - Really??? no wonder things are going down the pan so fast. A lot of those commenting supporting the "enthusiasts" are the same ones that were supporting that idiot last year with his horse overtake (remember that?), so explains a lot really.

Plus, they really need to learn the difference - enthusiasts don't drive like idiots, they look after their cars, and are more inclined to take them to properly organised shows and events that take place in appropriate surroundings, such as race tracks or aerodromes - not the local Halfords car park.

As an example, my brother in law is in his mid 50's, drives a highly modified Subaru Imprezza which is stickered up McRae style - yet he doesn't drive like a lunatic, and enjoys the car scene by going to proper shows and meeting with other like minded owners. These idiots really shouldn't have a licence if they can't operate a bin properly. How much intelligence does it take?

Have just caught up on the HVFB page - dear God is that the intelligence level of the 18-25 year old demographic? The bins are full, better leave it on the floor - Really??? no wonder things are going down the pan so fast. A lot of those commenting supporting the "enthusiasts" are the same ones that were supporting that idiot last year with his horse overtake (remember that?), so explains a lot really.

Plus, they really need to learn the difference - enthusiasts don't drive like idiots, they look after their cars, and are more inclined to take them to properly organised shows and events that take place in appropriate surroundings, such as race tracks or aerodromes - not the local Halfords car park.

As an example, my brother in law is in his mid 50's, drives a highly modified Subaru Imprezza which is stickered up McRae style - yet he doesn't drive like a lunatic, and enjoys the car scene by going to proper shows and meeting with other like minded owners. These idiots really shouldn't have a licence if they can't operate a bin properly. How much intelligence does it take?

Absolute joke, that's about the limit of the intelligence of some of them.  :Surprised_32:

Well the retail park owners have now put up signs and the managers onsite are enforcing the gate closures every night. The problem has now moved to the retail park next door, hopefully these people will have the sense to realise by making a nuisance of themselves and leaving rubbish around they will get moved on. I will add that this is obviously not all of the car enthusiasts and as usual it is the minority that spoil it for the others.

Spur Retail Park Gate.jpg

Spur Retail Park Gates 1.jpg

• 10 months later...

Unfortunately, we never quite managed a full year...

One of the posts at the back of the retail park was damaged by a lorry searier this yeaar and has not been repaired, also the store mangers/supervisors locked the gates for about the forst 3 weeks and the no longer bother, this is the result...

Spur Retail Park 1.jpg

Spur Retail Park 2.jpg

I collected my mrs from work at the retail park last night and we saw several young drivers pulling onto the site and parking and I said to her then, I wonder how much litter we will see in the morning...

This is the damaged post at the back of the retail park

Spur Retail Park 4.jpg

On 12/08/2017 at 08:51, Colin James said:

Unfortunately, we never quite managed a full year...

One of the posts at the back of the retail park was damaged by a lorry searier this yeaar and has not been repaired, also the store mangers/supervisors locked the gates for about the forst 3 weeks and the no longer bother, this is the result...

I collected my mrs from work at the retail park last night and we saw several young drivers pulling onto the site and parking and I said to her then, I wonder how much litter we will see in the morning...

This is the damaged post at the back of the retail park

What is the point of installing these gates if they never close them? 

I cannot belive that people are that lazy that they do not put their own rubiish in the bins, it rally annoys me, besides, they should be on this park at night anyway.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...