Newton Farm Election - 13 August 2015

Adrian Bridges

What I wanted was an answer as to how you can be forced to stand against your will if you are independent or unattached? Was this not a clear cut question??? I don't doubt Glenda's hard work and commitment to her community is to be commended but I feel her actions make a mocery of the electorial process and added extra cost to the city. Maybe Denise or Clarkester have seen the answer to this simple question I asked and I missed it?

Ubique,I was told I had to stand for the city, when I said before May that I did not want to stand. 

We still need an answer to this. I can't see how you can try an formulate another sort of Residents Group without explaining the previous machinations. What is going on in the background? It's not transparent to me at all. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dont think a list of candidates has been posted here. Only 2 days to go and I have just discovered who they are.

Election of Parish Ward Councillor for the Hereford, Newton Farm Parish Ward

NOTICE OF POLL

Notice is hereby given that:

1. The following persons have been and stand validly nominated:

Baldwin, Keith Victor Independent
1 Waterfield Road, Newton Farm, Hereford, HR2 7DD
S Wooles(P), Stephen Wooles(S)

Carwardine, Jacqui Liberal Democrats
1 Kestrel Road, Newton Farm, Hereford, HR2 7TH
John W Newman(P), K Green(S)

Cooper, Andrew David Local Conservatives
34 Westholme Road, Belmont, Hereford, HR2 7UJ
I Cooper(P), P A Tyler(S)

Dykes, Mark It's Our County (Herefordshire)
63 Dorchester Way, Belmont, Hereford, HR2 7ZW
W Scargill(P), S Lewis(S)

Lewer, David The Labour Party Candidate
54 Sheridan Road, Hereford, HR4 0NQ
A M Grafen(P), M B G Campbell(S)

2. A POLL for the above election will be held on Thursday, 13th August 2015 between the hours of 7:00am and 10:00pm

3. The number to be elected is ONE

Polling Station and Address 
The Belmont Community Centre, Eastholme Avenue, Belmont, Hereford HR2 7UQ

Dated: Wednesday, 5th August 2015

The losing Tory and Lib/Dem candidates from May are standing again. New IOC candidate. New Independent candidate. Labour didn't stand last time.

It's going to be hard to call this one. The two elected candidates from May are not on the ballot paper so that's their 1058 votes potentially floating about.

I would expect a low turnout. 

A great win for IOC last night. Congratulations Mark Dykes and thanks to Glenda for stepping aside and letting IOC take the seat, next time Glenda maybe not stand in the first place and save the city some money.

I have attached some stats for interest. There was a strong fight from the Lib Dems, Jacquie C run a good campaign.

Paul Neades, just for clarification I did not cause the city council to waste money, as IOC are the administration of the city council they could of co-opted someone on SO WHY DIDN'T THEY! Personally 4 years of working with IOC was 4 years to long, there were others who didn't stand for the city who felt the same way. and as a matter of interest it was the TORIES WHO CALLED THE ELECTION. That sais, I will be watching and waiting to see if Mark keeps to his promises for the people of Newton Farm that was in his paperwork.

Only 11.6% of the 1500 people who could of voted did, the combined votes cast was 338 the people of Newton Farm have spoken by not voting!

Only 11.6% of the 1500 people who could of voted did, the combined votes cast was 338 the people of Newton Farm have spoken by not voting!

A low vote yes, but this is the first time that Newton Farm has been acknowledged as a voting district and voters will in the future be able to identify with it. albeit at parish council level. In the past voters here were confused by being lumped in with the Belmont ward. A fresh start for the winning candidate and an opportunity to get more acknowledgement for the ward. 

With the threat of losing the library and with no other facilities for younger families ie playgrounds there is much that should be done, but always ignored in the past. Glenda's Residents' Association is a good idea in bringing people together and I hope that Mark Dykes will contribute to any help they need. 

Simple maths shows that if the turnout was 11.6% then the eligible electorate was about 2900 voters.

Sorry to p*** on Mark Dykes victory parade but if he got 151 votes then he has been voted in with the votes of about 5% of the electorates support. 95% didn't vote for him or didn't vote at all. He has no Mandate to do anything. He has got on to The Council via a backdoor of total and utter apathy. 

Roger, the 1500 I was referring to was the number of properties on Newton Farm therefore with a possibility of 2 people per household it is 2900 as you stated. A lot of people contacted me and ask me who to vote for, I told them that was their decision not mine, as I could not or would not tell them who to vote for.Unfortunately the 11.6% of people voting shows that the people of Newton Farm are not happy, and tell me they haven't been since the elections in May.

Unfortunately the 11.6% of people voting shows that the people of Newton Farm are not happy

Only 14.6 % of voters turned out for the PCC election when Bill Longmore got in. Incredibly low turnout due to the overwhelming abject apathy of the Public.

This miserably low turnout of 11.6%, I would suggest, is more to do with 88.4% of voters just not being interested in voting this time as opposed to being deeply unhappy about something or the system.

I agree the people are not interested, everyone was sure the election in May would be different, and were shocked that the Tories had a majority, but no one else is to blame but the people who voted for them. I keep in touch with my council colleages and they with me although I am not there anymore, and what I am hearing things have got worse since May so in a way I am glad I am not part of it anymore, but I do miss helping the people of Newton Farm.

Paul Neades, just for clarification I did not cause the city council to waste money, as IOC are the administration of the city council they could of co-opted someone on SO WHY DIDN'T THEY! Personally 4 years of working with IOC was 4 years to long, there were others who didn't stand for the city who felt the same way. and as a matter of interest it was the TORIES WHO CALLED THE ELECTION. That sais, I will be watching and waiting to see if Mark keeps to his promises for the people of Newton Farm that was in his paperwork.

Aww Glenda, your were elected and for whatever reason a new election has had to take place at least your could congratulate the new elected councillor.

Roger, the 1500 I was referring to was the number of properties on Newton Farm therefore with a possibility of 2 people per household it is 2900 as you stated. A lot of people contacted me and ask me who to vote for, I told them that was their decision not mine, as I could not or would not tell them who to vote for.Unfortunately the 11.6% of people voting shows that the people of Newton Farm are not happy, and tell me they haven't been since the elections in May.

Sour grapes, its obvious and no matter what happens good or bad you always take every opportunity to have a dig at Phil Edwards, get over him!

I agree the people are not interested, everyone was sure the election in May would be different, and were shocked that the Tories had a majority, but no one else is to blame but the people who voted for them. I keep in touch with my council colleages and they with me although I am not there anymore, and what I am hearing things have got worse since May so in a way I am glad I am not part of it anymore, but I do miss helping the people of Newton Farm.

If you really cared about the people of NF we would not be congratulating Mark Sykes today.

Paul Jones, I chose not to take up my seat and that was my perogative, get over it. Phil Edwards,  is not liked by a lot of people on NF, and he only got in by lying and those lies are catching up with him already. I am getting people asking me for my help every day but I have told them they voted him in so they have to contact him.There are no sour grapes in regard to Phil Edwards so there is nothing to get over, infact I feel sorry for him, the people of NF will give him a hard time, the ward is not an easy one. no one is congratulating a Mark Sykes the councillor  name is MARK DYKES!

Paul Jones, I chose not to take up my seat and that was my perogative, get over it. Phil Edwards,  is not liked by a lot of people on NF, and he only got in by lying and those lies are catching up with him already. I am getting people asking me for my help every day but I have told them they voted him in so they have to contact him.There are no sour grapes in regard to Phil Edwards so there is nothing to get over, infact I feel sorry for him, the people of NF will give him a hard time, the ward is not an easy one. no one is congratulating a Mark Sykes the councillor  name is MARK DYKES!

Okay Mark Dykes.  :Kissy: