I Went to the OLM...

The owners must care surely Aylestone voice as they are liable for the business rates if they have no tenants?

Empty properties

You don’t have to pay business rates on empty buildings for 3 months. After this time, most businesses must pay full business rates.

Some properties can get extended empty property relief:

• industrial premises (eg warehouses) are exempt for a further 3 months
  • listed buildings - until they are reoccupied
  • buildings with a rateable value under £2,600 - until they are reoccupied
  • properties owned by charities (only if the property’s next use will be mostly for charitable purposes)
  • community amateur sports clubs buildings (only if the next use will be mostly as a sports club)

Government Website

You also dont have to pay business rates - if for example - your building has been damaged by, er ,,,,,,,fire for example.

If this happened, what would be the point, from a business point of view, in getting the building ready for occupation again if you have no tenant to go in ?

Not saying its morally right, but perhaps, as a business case - its understandable. 

You also dont have to pay business rates - if for example - your building has been damaged by, er ,,,,,,,fire for example.

If this happened, what would be the point, from a business point of view, in getting the building ready for occupation again if you have no tenant to go in ?

Not saying its morally right, but perhaps, as a business case - its understandable. 

Finally, property owners should be aware that if a property is incapable of occupation by way of severe damage caused by flood or fire or any other external event business rates are not payable.

Legal Link

The Business Rates lost for that eyesore in High Town is already substantial! Council in no hurry to speed up the works tho ... 

Sorry Roger - i think you missed my point.

The council dont own the building - a Mr X owns the building.

Why get it all ready to go - have to pay rates on it with no tennent ready to go in.

It doesnt add up for the owner of the property - its more financially sound for him to leave it like that untill the town is ready for new stores to take up the space.

Sorry Roger - i think you missed my point.

The council dont own the building - a Mr X owns the building.

Why get it all ready to go - have to pay rates on it with no tennent ready to go in.

It doesnt add up for the owner of the property - its more financially sound for him to leave it like that untill the town is ready for new stores to take up the space.

I don't think I missed your point ... Anyhow ... I don't really care how it's done (within reason) but that building needs to get sorted out .... 

• 2 weeks later...
BBC H&W Radio: 23 May 2014

When it is finished Southwater will include an 11-screen IMAX cinema, plus bars, restaurants and a hotel . . .
. . . Along with the library, the Southwater One building will also house the council's information service First Point, the Citizens Advice Bureau and a cafe.

It will look out on to a manmade lake, next to the refurbished Telford ice rink.

Seven restaurants, an 11-screen IMAX cinema, a 600-space multi-storey car park and a hotel are all expected to open soon afterwards, in time for Southwater's grand opening on 2 August.

The council said it would close the existing town centre library in Meeting Point House on 7 June, to allow time for the 25,000 books to be transferred over to the new facility.

The leader of the authority, Kuldip Sahota, said: "The borough as we know it will change forever as a result of the development opening and we really are in the position where Telford is about to become a major regional destination."

The nearby Telford Town Centre is also due a £200m revamp, involving a new cinema, a supermarket and a hotel.

I bet they will have an ATM on this site. I thought the OLM was the only shopping centre to open in 2014. The leader of the authority, Kuldip Sahota is also on the board of the Marches LEP and making a claim that Telford (a town) will become the regional centre. So where does that leave Hereford (a city) - on the fringes?

Telford may well still be a town but the infrastructure i.e out of town shopping and leisure,businesses around it are immense and so is the amount of land available to build on.
It also has around 170,000 residents in and around the area.

Can we get back on topic please guy's, this is about the OLM but I appreciate that empty shops and high business rates in high town are an important topic of it's own, so if you prefer, I can create a new topic and move those discussions across, give me a new topic title and I will do the rest...

I went to the OLM earlier today and visited Nando's. Seriously good nosh and excellent customer service.
Will try a bit of Mexican at Chimichangas on Saturday.

We tried Nando's last night, first time I have been in Nando's for a while but to be fair we had a good time, food was good and not to expensive, I fancy the Mexican next time.  :tongue_32:

I don't think telford can be considered to be in OUR region, Its 2 hours drive away on a good day and will have no effect on us, It will affect shrewsbury though. Our catchment area is herefordshire and mid-wales. 

I really don't like idea of a marches region, hereford and shrewsbury have very little to do with each other. We have more of an affinity with worcester and gloucester, IE the three counties.

I don't think telford can be considered to be in OUR region, Its 2 hours drive away on a good day and will have no effect on us, It will affect shrewsbury though. Our catchment area is herefordshire and mid-wales. 

I really don't like idea of a marches region, hereford and shrewsbury have very little to do with each other. We have more of an affinity with worcester and gloucester, IE the three counties.

Read up on the Marches Local Enterprise Partnership and see that we are well and truly part of this EU inspired unelected quango. This is the organisation that is already bidding for money from the government through the EU and deciding where it will be spent.

Can we get back on topic please guy's, this is about the OLM but I appreciate that empty shops and high business rates in high town are an important topic of it's own, so if you prefer, I can create a new topic and move those discussions across, give me a new topic title and I will do the rest...

We tried Nando's last night, first time I have been in Nando's for a while but to be fair we had a good time, food was good and not to expensive, I fancy the Mexican next time.  :tongue_32:

Try the mex paella  :Happy_32:

I tried to look at costs, needs more digging as it's not in the website which is fair enough.

It looked pretty cool.

As for the OLM, I haven't been back since as I've had no need to. Whenever I drive past it has been looking very empty if the sun isn't out.

I'm contemplating the cinema and have never had a Nandos so we'll see how that goes

I have to admit I did not go to the OLM but today I made my first trip into the city since it opened. What made the most impact on me was the appalling traffic situation. When I came into town at 15.30 hrs traffic was at a standstill from the Newtown Road roundabout along Newtown Road and Widemarsh Street as far as Newmarket Street. The situation was equally congested along Edgar Street as far as the Tesco roundabout and beyond. On my return journey at 18.00 hrs the situation was exactly the same in reverse!

If our magnificent Council are right and the OLM is drawing in 10% more shoppers to the city centre, how on earth did they expect it to work without the slightest improvement to the transport infrastructure?

Traffic was diabolical today. Took me 30 minutes to get from Bath St to the bottom of Widemarsh St from 5.30-6pm. I've never seen northbound Widemarsh St log jammed before. Perhaps being able to turn right into it from Blueschool Street is increasing the load, but those clever traffic engineers would have modelled that scenario ... wouldn't they?

The traffic was fantastic for the first week or two but it seems to slowly be getting worse - what's the deal with that?
I wouldn't say it's AS bad but it's not as good as it was a few weeks ago.

I avoid it around school/work time, I don't know how bad it is then

• 2 weeks later...

I deliberately avoided visiting the OLM until the initial euphoria had died down. Today, I ventured in and was considerably underwhelmed. Yes, it's pristine and sparkling - but it's brand-new and cost £90m! There was some activity centred around the cafés but apart from that there were more people in High Town. The development as a whole is characterless and (even when fully- occupied) cannot hope to provide a destination shopping centre. The OLM will need a vibrant Hereford in order to succeed.

More particularly, I went into Costa Coffee where it took an age for the four girls on duty to serve the three customers ahead of me. The floor was littered and tables were dirty and uncleared.

The party is over.

The traffic was fantastic for the first week or two but it seems to slowly be getting worse - what's the deal with that?

I wouldn't say it's AS bad but it's not as good as it was a few weeks ago.

I avoid it around school/work time, I don't know how bad it is the

Must say Edgar Strert Newmarket Street roundabout lights have greatly improved over the last three weeks.How long for is another question.

BBC H&W Radio this afternoon on the Andrew Easton Show.

The hunt is on to find Britain's best High Street for shoppers. Cllr Tony Johnson extolling the virtues of shopping in Hereford against Worcester. Does he know what he is talking about?

Pick up the interview today at 39:10. This interview has 7 days left to listen.

The guy from Worcester won it hands down - interesting they employ a Manager for Economic Development, who clearly knows what he is talking about, whereas we don't, and it shows. Cllr Johnson claims the city is not full of charity shops or potpourri shops - don't know the relevance of the latter, but clearly he hasn't been into town to see we're awash with charity shops.

The clue is in the title - the best High Street - obviously Johnson kept on about the OLM, which is nowhere near any High Street ...