Hutchinsons HiFi in Cheltenham Closing after 28 Years

Biomech

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Online-sales-car-parking-charges-business-rates/story-20582949-detail/story.html

I mention this for 2 very good reasons.

1: There is a new development making it's way into Cheltenham ("The Brewery") which is said to be driving local traders out. At the new development you can find such names as Nandos, Chiquitos and Frank & Benny's, as well as a new multiscreen cinema (sound familiar?)

2: Hutchinsons owns the Sony center in Hereford. Hutchinsons also owned the Panasonic Store in Hereford which, as I'm sure you are aware, closed down as the OLM began.

I also note this comment at the bottom of the page which makes a lot of sense:

"Expensive town centre parking charges are the main reason why so called "out of town" shopping areas do so well. There is NO parking cost. There are NO over zealous "Traffic Enforcement Officers" slapping a ticket on your car. Car drivers are welcomed with open arms, something which local Councillors fail to see, everytime thy raise parking charges."

This does sound horribly familiar Biomech.

I love Cheltenham - the mix of shops,the lovely coffee shops and veggie eateries!

The atmosphere just walking around there is fantastic,and it just seems to flow,for want of a better word, as you wander around.

The big draw,as a choice of shopping destination, is the excellent park and ride service. It's brilliant!

I really hope that Cheltenham doesn't lose it's identity, as Hereford centre seems destined to.

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/Online-sales-car-parking-charges-business-rates/story-20582949-detail/story.html

1: There is a new development making it's way into Cheltenham ("The Brewery") which is said to be driving local traders out. At the new development you can find such names as Nandos, Chiquitos and Frank & Benny's, as well as a new multiscreen cinema (sound familiar?)

2: Hutchinsons owns the Sony center in Hereford. Hutchinsons also owned the Panasonic Store in Hereford which, as I'm sure you are aware, closed down as the OLM began.

I also note this comment at the bottom of the page which makes a lot of sense:

"Expensive town centre parking charges are the main reason why so called "out of town" shopping areas do so well. There is NO parking cost. There are NO over zealous "Traffic Enforcement Officers" slapping a ticket on your car. Car drivers are welcomed with open arms, something which local Councillors fail to see, everytime thy raise parking charges."

I bought a very expensive 'separates' Hi-Fi system from Hutchinsons in High Town, Hereford in the late 80's and in fact my current main TV was bought from the Panasonic shop just before it closed down. I always found them to be good shops. How long the Sony Shop in Hereford will last is anyone's guess I suppose as shopping habits are changing. The Hereford shop seems to advertise all this interest free credit on the radio which is basically a bank loan ~ a last desperate attempt to attract trade when you can go online and find the cheapest product which will be delivered to the door. Just like my fridge freezer was. The cheapest price was Sainsbury's internet site and it was delivered by courier ...

Regarding parking the new OLM development is like a mini out of town shopping complex but with the convenience of a multi storey car park next door that you pay for! 

On a side note I drove to Asda tonight and saw two parking attendants crossing over the lights by the bridge at 7PM ... I'm not aware of any real parking issues after that time in Hereford but there may have been some technical infringement that needed sorting out with a Penalty Charge ... 

It does say Hereford is to remain open, but then we'll soon have parking meters on the street and that will be another nail in the coffin of the town centre. I bought a tv from the Hereford shop last year and found the staff informed and helpful. Being able to walk into a shop in town to see the product (essential for something like a tv) and subsequently park outside to load it, is a huge plus. The alternative of driving to a retail shed to park in an undersized car park and trying to get some sense out of a disinterested 16 year old on a minimum wage pushing his bonus up by mis-selling overpriced add ons is one of many reasons why people are using the internet.

how long the Sony Shop in Hereford will last is anyone's guess

I know they are certainly A LOT quieter than they were previously. Certainly whenever I go in there they are nearly always empty. The disabled only parking outside probably doesn't help either.

I can't find it now, but I'm sure I read that they spent nearly A LOT of money on the Broad Street Sony shop - fractions of am million maybe - and that a big part of the move was the promised Broad Street revamp that was abandoned. I guess it would be difficult to invest that kind of money just to shut down after a few years

Being able to walk into a shop in town to see the product (essential for something like a tv) and subsequently park outside to load it, is a huge plus.

I agree, things like bluray films or music, maybe a set of weighing scales, all no problem to buy online. But if I'm buying a big item like a TV, bed a car etc, I want to be able to actually see that. 

And, in my experience, currys is an absolute joke, I have NEVER been approached in that shop by an assistant, I've ended up walking out numerous times. The one time I was "served" was when I pre-ordered on the website and went to pick it up from the desk. Absolute jokers and have no idea what they are talking about, their product knowledge is borderline deceitful.

Agree with you about Currys.

The last purchase from there was a washing machine after ours could not be resuscitated!!

The sales staff were nowhere to be seen - we then got passed from one person to another when we did find somebody!

The person who ended up serving us knew nothing about the product as they "usually work downstairs"!! Seemed far more interested in trying to get us to purchase additional insurance cover.....which I persistantly declined!!

It does say Hereford is to remain open, but then we'll soon have parking meters on the street and that will be another nail in the coffin of the town centre. I bought a tv from the Hereford shop last year and found the staff informed and helpful. Being able to walk into a shop in town to see the product (essential for something like a tv) and subsequently park outside to load it, is a huge plus. The alternative of driving to a retail shed to park in an undersized car park and trying to get some sense out of a disinterested 16 year old on a minimum wage pushing his bonus up by mis-selling overpriced add ons is one of many reasons why people are using the internet.

26 February 2014 Herefordshire Council News item

Shoppers and traders have the opportunity to give their opinion about parking in Hereford city centre as the council commences its review of on-street parking. The Council will be considering a range of options including charging for on street parking, to manage traffic flow into and around the city centre, to reduce congestion and create a safer and more pleasurable place for shoppers within the enhanced retail environment. It will commence consultation with shoppers, traders residents and other interested groups this week and will carry out further consultation on detailed proposals in the summer.

The review will aim to support current schemes in the historic core include street de-cluttering through rationalising existing signage, 20mph zones and more cycling facilities. Creating an appropriate parking strategy supports this as the council looks to enable access to the city centre for all whilst seeking to deter any unnecessary car trips where public transport or active transport could provide an alternative.  

Councillor Price, Cabinet Member Infrastructure said “The review will look at the number of street parking spaces and where they are, how current restrictions control parking and whether they are appropriate. We need to understand how and what changes might better control traffic flow into and around the city centre to reduce congestion whilst supporting businesses and residents.

Creating a  better environment with less circulating cars and more facilities for cycling, walking and public transport use will be the basis of the next Local Transport Plan (LTP) that is due to commence in 2015. The LTP will include plans which aim to support economic growth, reduce carbon emissions and make journeys easier for people.â€

The closing date for submission of the questionnaire is 17 March 2014. To complete the online questionnaire please go to www.herefordshire.gov.uk/ParkingReview or call 01432 349530 to request a paper version.

Blimey! I have just completed all 4 questions - inadequate isn't the word!

How on earth are they going to glean any useful information from that??

I had to fill it out as a visitor/shopper, as I do not live within the zone - I wonder if you get asked further questions if you answer as a business or as a resident??

I think you need to charge for parking in high abuse zones - ie non school parking in school zones, such as the A49 outside the leisure center and surrounding area.

I think free parking should be offered in shopping complexes - ie, the OLM, Supermarkets, retail parks (I realise the Next carpark quandary)

Personally, I don't pay for parking if I can. I would certainly resent having to pay for parking for the 4 minutes it takes me to do the banking several times a week.

There are many many many places around the country where parking for complexes is free and it helps to draw customers in. The Metro Center for example in Newcastle. I quote "Parking at intu Metrocentre is FREE and there are almost 10,000 free parking spaces" You wouldn't believe the looks I got from people whilst trying to find a machine and asking passers by how I could buy a parking ticket,

There are additional questions if you tick the 'resident' box but neither the visitor or resident surveys ask the basic question about whether you approve of potential roadside meters that charge you money for parking on the street. Which is the aspect I would suspect a good few people would be interested in! 

Precisely Roger!

As I said earlier, I cannot see how they can possibly glean any useful information from this - which makes me believe that it is a meaningless,box ticking exercise. There,just so Cllr.Price can say he has listened to the views of The Great Un-Washed!

:Thumbs-Up: Thanks megilleland I have completed the very biased central parking survey, mainly by my (capitalized) shouting comments in "other" box as there was nowhere else to express your views!

Colin, would it be possible to have this survey info as a new topic and not under the heading of shop closing in Cheltenham please?

Happen-chance finding it may not work for everyone and although the survey is probably a box ticking exercise, bringing it to more people's attention will give them opportunity to have a say.  

Biomech

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Sure does. Here is another from the Marches Local Enterprise Partnership Draft Strategic Economic Plan.

Case Study: Southwater – stimulating private sector investment 

Telford Town Centre is undergoing great positive change thanks to a combination of public and private investment. Built in the 1960’s and 1970’s, its core is dominated by a retail shopping centre core surrounded by commercial, then residential development. The town’s leisure and cultural offer has been poor, with a lack of vibrancy and sense of place, acting as a significant barrier to its growth and sustainability. 

In response, Telford & Wrekin Council has worked with partners including Southwater Event Group, Homes & Communities Agency and private sector investors to develop and realise a £250m regeneration of the Southwater area to deliver a true heart to Telford Town Centre. The vision is to create: 

* A vibrant and sustainable heart for Telford Town Centre - including a night time economy; 
* High quality buildings and public space that will transform the image of Telford; 
* Improved cultural, leisure, retail, and event facilities as well as new homes and offices; 
* A greatly enhanced convention quarter; 
* New jobs, new opportunities and inward investment; 
* A place in which people will want to work, live, visit and enjoy; and 
* A place to be proud of. 

Southwater, forms the ideal location for such a vision, situated in a strategic location between Telford Shopping Centre (a sub-regional retail centre of 1 million sq ft), Telford International Centre (one of the UK’s largest conferencing and exhibition venues which attracts over 450,000 delegates every year), and Telford Town Park (a 400 acre green space, enjoyed by 750,000 visitors per year). 

The first phase of the scheme will open in Spring 2014 and will see £110m of investment into the town centre with £40m of public sector investment being matched by £70m of private sector investment. Public sector investment has focussed on enabling the site through securing outline planning consent, undertaking infrastructure improvements and creating development plots, delivering supporting developments such as a 600 space multi story car park and high quality landscaping to create a new square, main street and lake, as well as delivering iconic developments including a new interactive library and learning resource, a one stop shop for a range of other public sector services, a £4m refurbishment and extension of the existing ice rink as well as the delivery of 3 new restaurants and a coffee shop. 

Public sector investment has been essential to catalyse wider development and create a sense of place thus levering in significant private sector investment in a multiscreen IMAX Cineworld cinema, an 85 bed hotel, a new ASDA superstore, a high quality extension to The International Centre’s and seven restaurants, all of which are pre let to leading operators including Nandos, Pizza Express, Wagamama and Zizzi. This investment will significantly raise Telford’s profile as a destination of choice for leisure and business. 

On the back of the success of the Southwater development, owners of Telford Shopping Centre have recently secured outline planning consent for a major extension and redevelopment of the shopping centre. Their proposals amount to an investment of £200m creating a further 2,000 jobs. 

So people in Shropshire won't be coming down here to Hereford for their shopping experience when they can get it locally.

Public sector investment has been essential to catalyse wider development and create a sense of place thus levering in significant private sector investment in a multiscreen IMAX Cineworld cinema, an 85 bed hotel, a new ASDA superstore, a high quality extension to The International Centre’s and seven restaurants, all of which are pre let to leading operators including Nandos, Pizza Express, Wagamama and Zizzi. This investment will significantly raise Telford’s profile as a destination of choice for leisure and business. 

Given the evidence, this now appears to be a prerendered package that is being offered out to councils. I would put money on there being at least one backer that is common to all of these.