Nenadich and his Positive Hereford site

Simon Brown

Ladies, Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, The Mighty Simon Brown! This blogger is truly a relentless 'tapper' of vowels and consonants who has, like many of us, hit the tapping wall and concluded, 'what's the bloody point'. Despite his desperate need to share my medication, still, even now, as his digits hit the keyboard, bent, worn and buckled, he relentlessly transmits his overall view of life in Hereford as being similar to a daily kick in the testicals.

The site, Positive Hereford is, I guess, a place where people who love it all go to transmit shiney, happy, clappy messages that imply in some way that alls well, every minute of the hour is a joyful experience and there's allways a positive side to be found in the most horrid of circumstances. Take for instance the salt on the walls of the new shopping development. Whenever I stagger past the place I scream, 'bloody b......d Council. I hope they all f.....g get nits and jump in the bloody Lugg'. On the otherhand, readers and contributors to Positive Hereford will see this salt as a blessing and shout, 'lovely. Next time I stagger past with me fish supper Im going to throw my battered cod against the wall and get it salted'.

It's all about perspectives and how you see a bucket of rancid sh.t. It's either a lovely thing or the bucket and its contents are something you'd not choose to have tipped upon your head.

I have visited this site on a couple of occasions where it tries to give you a totally different view of whats happening to Hereford, but of course everyone knows his team is the cause of all the chaos that we find ourselves in. He needs to take his blinkers off and see things as they really are!!!. I have my own information website people seem to like it, at the moment I am looking for a new administrator for the site as he has retired so if you know anyone put them in touch with me.

Purely out of interest, the salt on the brickwork - is this a normal part of construction that it to be expected to some degree and then just fades off or is washed off as part of a new build? Or is it actually a serious concern of sorts? Any builders in?

Edit:

I know it's only been about 60 seconds, but I get impatient. Did some research. The consensus that this is common, easily fixed and not a problem apart from visually.

According to various professionals it is often caused when using cheap bricks and not washing them properly.

"If you mean the white furry stuff, it's crystallised salt. Tends to be most prolific on cheap bricks - take a look around any new housing estate and you will see salt covered bricks all over the place. It's nothing to worry about - just a bit unsightly. Might be able to brush it off using a stiff brush."

"They either didn't clean the brick good to start with or didn't mix the mortor strong enough. It will be OK for years to come, but if they mixed it with too much sand those years will be shorter and it will simply start falling apart sooner. "

"The water dissolves the salts which are then carried out and deposited onto the surface by the natural evaporation that occurs when air comes into contact with the surface of the wall or floor."

Yes, I refer to it as HMP Hereford!

Back to the topic in hand though! I am a naturally optimistic person, have always lived on the sunny side of the street, drinking my half full glass of red wine!

However, there is a big difference in optimism and being un-realistic.

The slant that all is good, nothing to moan about here folks, creates the impression that we really should all be thankful for what we have in Hereford, and a lot of people are doing a very good job...queue back slapping all round.

In that self-congratulatory tone, there's not much difference!

If I was trying to find a positive....well, at least it doesn't cost us £74,000 a year! (And its not pushed through my letterbox,as an unwanted gift!)

I don't believe anyone is saying (certainly not on here) that all is OK. It is not OK particularly given that the Council has to save £30 million over the next 3 years. This is not stopping buying bottled water it is much more serious than that.I have no problem with "Positive Hereford" or "WIHAHC". They are just expressing differing views. After all despite the horrors what is wrong with pointing out some of the good things that are happening. There are people who if the Council solved world famine, stopped all wars and had Council Tax at £1 per year would still complain.

We need to find a way forward but ultimately many will not be happy.

All I will add is that the more often you stamp out on the keyboard - bloody Council this, bloody Council that, bloody Jarvis, Bloody Johnson and post it on here all you are doing is getting yourself more angry and preaching to the converted.

Afternoon Aylestone Voice!

Quite agree with finding a way to move forward....hopefully that will be before 2015, but we'll have to wait and see! In amongst all the moans and groans, there have been quite a few really good, decent, common sense ideas put forward...its not just "No, don't like that." We have come up with a few solutions ( Colin and his traffic lights being one example that springs to mind)

I just don't think things will change drastically, until the Conservatives move aside and make way for some new blood.

Well I for one ain't stopping with the moaning and the groaning about this, that and the other. Rather than be disgusted with myself for being a moaner and a groaner, I take the view that its an entirely good thing and I ain't for stopping.

Nothing will stop me moaning. Nothing! They can collect me from by bloody front door, fly me thousands of miles to some beautiful south sea island where woman are constantly tapping on my beach hut door screaming, 'let us in. Be ours tonight' and I'll tell them to clear off and I'll moan my way through the entire event.

These brazen strumpets could tippy toe up to my safe haven, leave me a thousand hand rolled cigarettes, cod and bloody chips whenever I wanted them and an endless supply of booze and the Sun newspaper deliberately flown out to reach me before it hits the streets of Hereford, and still I'll moan.

I'll never stop. These shameless women could dig me a vast lake and stock it with Barbel and Carp and despite the glory of it all, the wonderful weather and a deep feeling within me that says, 'you've never felt better', I'd still find something to complain about and anyone who thinks otherwise is a ninny if anything I transmit is ever worth reading in the first place.

Oh! And there's plenty more where that came from.

Purely out of interest, the salt on the brickwork - is this a normal part of construction that it to be expected to some degree and then just fades off or is washed off as part of a new build? Or is it actually a serious concern of sorts? Any builders in?

Edit:

I know it's only been about 60 seconds, but I get impatient. Did some research. The consensus that this is common, easily fixed and not a problem apart from visually.

According to various professionals it is often caused when using cheap bricks and not washing them properly.

"If you mean the white furry stuff, it's crystallised salt. Tends to be most prolific on cheap bricks - take a look around any new housing estate and you will see salt covered bricks all over the place. It's nothing to worry about - just a bit unsightly. Might be able to brush it off using a stiff brush."

"They either didn't clean the brick good to start with or didn't mix the mortor strong enough. It will be OK for years to come, but if they mixed it with too much sand those years will be shorter and it will simply start falling apart sooner. "

"The water dissolves the salts which are then carried out and deposited onto the surface by the natural evaporation that occurs when air comes into contact with the surface of the wall or floor."

All of those quotes are wrong to a varying extent. Bricks are porous, some more than others. Bricks are delivered shrink wrapped and should be kept dry on site, during and after laying. If they get rained on, for instance, the water evaporates out and takes with it salts which crystallise on the surface. They are harmless, but look dreadful, and can be brushed off. Careful workmanship can avoid the problem almost completely. Depending on how wet the bricks were, it can go on for many months. Fear not however, because Debenhams have applied for permission to plaster the building with 14 internally illuminated signs, the largest of which is 14m x 2m, (30' x 7' for the old 'uns) - that is MASSIVE - and most are 4 to 9m long x 1.5m. This will ensure that the OLM will be visible from space at all times.

Herefordshire Council Planning has a long standing policy, for good reason, of not allowing internally illuminated shop signs and the City looks all the better for it. Can we guess which way planning will be told to jump?

Edit:

They either didn't clean the brick good to start with or didn't mix the mortor strong enough. It will be OK for years to come, but if they mixed it with too much sand those years will be shorter and it will simply start falling apart soone

Well you really do talk bollocks  :Happy_32: 

What do people think of it? I can't stand this replacement for Hereford Matters (sort of) and I have told him so. Amazingly he has not deleted the conversation, yet, 11:00 4 Dec 13. We shall see. If he does, I'll whack it up here. What's a rest bite?

What do people think of it? I can't stand this replacement for Hereford Matters (sort of) and I have told him so. Amazingly he has not deleted the conversation, yet, 11:00 4 Dec 13. We shall see. If he does, I'll whack it up here. What's a rest bite?

Not that intrested in the site either but I did note that it has over 300 more likes than WIHAHC  :tongue_32:

Just been reading your rant on there Simon.. Blah blah this blah blah that ,but your this blah blah.Geez you need to get a fekin grip & take a chill pill 

They either didn't clean the brick good to start with or didn't mix the mortor strong enough. It will be OK for years to come, but if they mixed it with too much sand those years will be shorter and it will simply start falling apart soone

Well you really do talk bollocks  :Happy_32: 

Yes this is total bollocks, but it is lifted from the interweb, which is 98% bollocks as we all know, with the rest just made up. To be fair to Biomech, he was quoting it, so not him actually doing the talk. Love the image of labourers carefully scrubbing bricks before they're laid however!

If they get rained on, for instance, the water evaporates out and takes with it salts which crystallise on the surface. They are harmless, but look dreadful, and can be brushed off. Careful workmanship can avoid the problem almost completely. 

Not my words, the words from a number of different websites and forums by professional builders. And basically what they said, the bricks get wet, the salt is drawn out, it looks bad but isn't a big deal.

The one about cleaning I'd assume was just jet wash the bricks and let them dry then clean off the salt before being laid - like I say, I'm not a builder, that's why I asked/looked it up

Simon, I think you should post your Positive Hereford contribution on here anyway....there are a few foolish folk who haven't quite got to grips with the whole Face -Tubing experience, which is absolutely ridiculous...I mean who on earth doesn't embrace technology in this way??? Certaintly I don't fall into this category....!!!!!

Honestly, this isn't a selfish request from a complete technophobe, perish the idea that computers hold any fear for me....!!

Not my words, the words from a number of different websites and forums by professional builders. And basically what they said, the bricks get wet, the salt is drawn out, it looks bad but isn't a big deal.

The one about cleaning I'd assume was just jet wash the bricks and let them dry then clean off the salt before being laid - like I say, I'm not a builder, that's why I asked/looked it up

Quite right Biomech no big deal really

• 6 months later...