Jim Kenyon/Jesse Norman - Jesse Norman/Jim Kenyon

Denise Lloyd

Is this going to be a 2 horse race in South Herefordshire? I suspect it will be unless the others can come up with something a little more inspiring.

We have yet to see any manfiestos perhaps they are all still thinking. Hopefully in their quest to win nobody will be called a mugwump!

We have had a Con PM for 7 years - a Con Leader of Herefordshire Council for 14 years and 2 Con MP's for 16 and 7 years respectively.  Whose fault is it? Is it complacency? Are we satisfied with our lot?   Or is it just fate?   

I think so Denise if we look at the other candidates I think they have all stood before? If not I'm sure someone will corrected me on that.

Jim is a newbi so to speak but I believe he will be Jessie's nearest rival as he is more well known especially in Hereford unlike the others candidates who are not really in the public eye until its election time.

Given that the Norm's nearest rival last time was ukip with 7,000 odd votes then jim will need to pinch a sizable portion of Tories votes as well as ones from other parties too if he's going to win!

So I wonder what his game plan will be?

Jim Kenyon is going to speak at the next Independent group meeting next week, so we should find out what his policies are and what's in his manifesto. I am hoping to attend if I do will report what he said here!.

Thanks Glenda that would be good!

No doubt Jim will have a campaign slogan too?…in the comment section which followed jims article announcing his bid to stand a lot of the posters where commenting the phrase "no man has done more for Hereford & Herefordshire" or similar…i think it sounds rather catchy! He should take it up?!

& if Jim's having one then I'm sure Jessie will want one too so I thought the "the hound of love"?…not sure what the love would stand for though?!…But still it's kind of catchy & I'm sure Kate Bush won't mind a bit?

I'm hoping that Jim will eat into some of the conservative votes and even if he has perhaps a few conservative traits I still believe he will genuinely represent Herefordshire South as an Independent. We simply cannot maintain the current direction towards a one party state at every level.

From a national perspective there is no doubt that there will be only one party in England and Wales. It was a good call by May because the opposition is at its very weakest and once she has this mandate she also expands the term of government which is crucial because it will now run past the Brexit realization whereas this current Government term would have expired right at the moment of exit. All great but I've gotta tell you that inflation is on the rise, higher taxation is imminent and owning your own car or running a company vehicle is going to get very expensive. ...if your still at home with the parents well this next government term will end the dreams of many to own their own home.

Denise, she knows who I am, when I was a Cllr 3 years ago there was a meeting at the Kindle centre, and I was asked to step in for another Cllr on the panel, she had a very bad reception from members of the public and she was very rude to anyone that didn't see things from her point of view, that also included me on the night, she talked a lot of rubbish then and have learnt since.

Does anyone know,if either or both,Jim & Jessie attended the river carnival today? Unfortunately i was unable to go, due to work commitments…as they are both campaigning now?…you'd think that this would of been,a golden opportunity for them to mingle with potential voters, while getting a photo in the HT,of themselves kissing a baby's head or something!…so I'd be more surprised to hear if they were both absent from the carnival, given what's at stake!

I was at The River Carnival today and I saw Jesse at a distance with his trumpet case (well I think that was what he had in it, could have been his lunch). I also saw Diana Toynbee the Green Party candidate as well as the Leominster Green Candidate Ellie Chowns(?). I wondered why she as there but then someone pointed out that a lot of areas just outside of the City boundary are in the Leominster constituency. I heard a request over the tannoy for the Mayor of Hereford as they seemed to have lost him - so he must have been there somewhere.

From a national perspective I dont want a Conservative win as they are wrecking our NHS, they have wasted so much of our money on these "free schools" (look at Robert Owen Free school in Hereford), I dont want grammar schools and they have destroyed so much of our local services whether buses, libraries, children's services, etc. and just spend on new roads, whilst our trains are jam packed and out of date, and road surfaces are a danger for someone like me who pedals around Hereford. On policies I will not be voting Conservative regardless of the person representing them. 

I was at The River Carnival today and I saw Jesse at a distance with his trumpet case (well I think that was what he had in it, could have been his lunch). I also saw Diana Toynbee the Green Party candidate as well as the Leominster Green Candidate Ellie Chowns(?). I wondered why she as there but then someone pointed out that a lot of areas just outside of the City boundary are in the Leominster constituency. I heard a request over the tannoy for the Mayor of Hereford as they seemed to have lost him - so he must have been there somewhere.

From a national perspective I dont want a Conservative win as they are wrecking our NHS, they have wasted so much of our money on these "free schools" (look at Robert Owen Free school in Hereford), I dont want grammar schools and they have destroyed so much of our local services whether buses, libraries, children's services, etc. and just spend on new roads, whilst our trains are jam packed and out of date, and road surfaces are a danger for someone like me who pedals around Hereford. On policies I will not be voting Conservative regardless of the person representing them.

Does that mean both Jim & Jessie cannot count on your vote then Maggie?

Mind you it's comforting to know that all the candidates were out & about making themselves visable to us the voters…are you sure it was a trumpet case & not a violin case Maggie?

Anyhow I bet Jessie's feeling well jealous of Jim at the moment given that Jim will get another photo opportunity this week being that the mayfair is in town…that's always a favorite of the mayors that is!…I wonder if Jessie will try photobombing it?

All quiet on the election campaigning front for Jim & Jessie today?…although I did see HT website had a article on the river carnival which they had posted earlier today along with 17 photos…but not a single one of Jim or Jessie in any of them?…not even one of them holding or kissing a baby??!!…

I sure wouldn't want to be that person taking the calls for HT in the morning!

I attended the Independent meeting tonight  to hear what JK had to say,  He said he was standing as Independent but will remain an IOC councillor, he was told that would give him a conflict of interest, he voted for Brexit but he supports EU people  migration to Britain. He also said that if he doesn't like what ministers say in Westminster he would go and bang on their door. He couldn't tell us his policies because he hasn't thought of them at this time. He did say NHS is important( but we know all that already) he wants devolution of powers from Westminster to Hereford and he wants something done about local infrastructure. he finished by saying that if anyone can help him with campaign or has any suggestions tell him. Personally I was disappointed by what he said!!!

I attended the Independent meeting tonight to hear what JK had to say, He said he was standing as Independent but will remain an IOC councillor, he was told that would give him a conflict of interest, he voted for Brexit but he supports EU people migration to Britain. He also said that if he doesn't like what ministers say in Westminster he would go and bang on their door. He couldn't tell us his policies because he hasn't thought of them at this time. He did say NHS is important( but we know all that already) he wants devolution of powers from Westminster to Hereford and he wants something done about local infrastructure. he finished by saying that if anyone can help him with campaign or has any suggestions tell him. Personally I was disappointed by what he said!!!

It would seem then Glenda that Jim has not really thought this one through very well?

At this rate he will be in danger of losing his deposit?…he needs to get real & sort out a mandate of his policy's he cannot expect to just win on the back of his good reputation in Tupsley.

Did he give any reason as to why he's not standing under the IOC banner?

Cambo, I must agree with you he doesn't seem to have thought this through, he said he is well known and has met a lot of people in his Mayoral role this year. In regard to why he is not standing under the IOC banner is they are not known in Westminster where there is already Independents in Parliament. Having held a position representing Herefordshire Independents in the LGA in London also taking me to Westminster for meetings in the last two years of being a councillor he is going to get a nasty surprise if he is elected, London and Westminster is totally different to local politics, unless you have achieved something of significance as a local councillor and it has been recognised that you were responsible for achieving it, they won't acknowledge it in Parliament. His achievements as a local councillor and Mayor won't count for anything.

Cambo, I must agree with you he doesn't seem to have thought this through, he said he is well known and has met a lot of people in his Mayoral role this year. In regard to why he is not standing under the IOC banner is they are not known in Westminster where there is already Independents in Parliament. Having held a position representing Herefordshire Independents in the LGA in London also taking me to Westminster for meetings in the last two years of being a councillor he is going to get a nasty surprise if he is elected, London and Westminster is totally different to local politics, unless you have achieved something of significance as a local councillor and it has been recognised that you were responsible for achieving it, they won't acknowledge it in Parliament. His achievements as a local councillor and Mayor won't count for anything.

Let's hope he doesn't start having nightmares to the magnitude of the task at hand because he decided to stand on a whim one night.…so the sooner we know what the issues are he will be campaigning on the better also how he campaigns on those issues will be important too.

• 2 weeks later...

Has Jesse gone AWOL? Or is he playing the waiting game seeing what the opposition do and have to offer and then spring into action adorning the countryside with blue and springing up here there and everywhere? Or perhaps he busy perfecting the art of making the perfect chocolate cake!  

Well it's lack lustre to say the least. I don't purchase the Hereford Times anymore so can anyone tell me where I can find anything regarding the JK plan. ...was he in town yesterday? Had expected him to post something on this site or is he reaching out with alternative media perhaps to a younger audience. A great idea but the young revolution will come in five years when it's realised what can be achieved with a single political state.

Why?... well the teenagers of today will react to a future without the chance of having their own home, the reliance of the bank of mum and dad gone as the bank will be empty because that security blanket is now used to fund their own care.

I won't bang on ..but where's the fight, where is the passion, sadly it seems to have been drained from us and sadly the evidence can be seen on this very site....a far cry from the last election.

From Hereford Times

Jim Kenyon (Independent) - Election address for Hereford and South Herefordshire

I FEEL it is about time someone stood up for Hereford and South Herefordshire, it feels like the land that Westminster forgot.

Living and growing up in Herefordshire I have a feel for the uniqueness of it of it and Westminster policy being stuffed down our necks is not always the answer.

I served in the armed forces for 14 years and my community for longer than that, tackling social isolation at the front line and trying to make Hereford a better place to live.

I relish the opportunity to now work for Ross and South Herefordshire in the same way.

Having been an opposition county councillor for the past six years I know this Conservative council need holding to account.

I am more than prepared to do that, so when funding from Westminster is granted I can make sure it is spent in the right way. Ruffling feathers is something I have had to do in the past and will continue to do so.

All the other parties promise they are the best for the NHS as an independent I can and will listen to debates and always do what is right for the NHS. I will fight to stop privatisation. We need clearer thinking between the NHS and the social services as ongoing care and social isolation is a huge problem.

We are desperate for intelligent transport solutions for Herefordshire to get the county moving. Having lived and worked in the City I know this is achievable, the answers are out there already we just need to listen to them. I can champion that cause in Westminster.

I believe that if you want things to be different you have to do things differently. If we keep voting for the same people, the same parties with the same promises we will ALWAYS get the same result.

I would like to do things differently in Westminster.

From Hereford Times

Jesse Norman (Conservative) - Election address for Hereford and South Herefordshire

Nationally, it is about whether we as a country recognise the challenges facing us over the coming years, and back Theresa May to lead us through them as our Prime Minister.

That means giving her a personal mandate to negotiate with the EU, and a majority big enough to get the required new laws through Parliament and stop the Nationalists in Scotland from breaking up the United Kingdom.

Locally, this election is about which candidate has the experience, profile and track record to represent us best in Westminster.

Whether it’s protecting Hereford and Ross hospitals, money for potholes—more badly needed now—new broadband, our booming Enterprise Zone in Rotherwas, the recent £8 million university start-up funding, helping hundreds of constituents a year or a host of other things, I believe my own record is second to none in Parliament—a fact recognised by three national awards.

I have not been afraid to speak truth to power, as with the vote to bomb Syria in 2013. But since then my roles as elected Select Committee Chair and now Minister of Energy have given me—and Herefordshire—direct access to the top of government.

I have always worked to the utmost of my abilities on behalf of local people, and thrown myself heart and soul into putting Herefordshire on the political map.

On June 8th I hope you will back me and Theresa May, locally and nationally, to continue this vital work.

RE both above posts.

One is......

Well Written

The other is.....

Written Well

Gives you an idea of who means business and who has his fingers in enough pies to buy an island and not give a toss but tell constituents what they "want" to here! (Oh and probably buy a lord or whatever title if he loses his MP seat to keep in with parliament!)

Just received from Jess - quite strange or desperate who knows

Dear Denise,

My team and I have been coming up against a fair bit of fake news and misleading information during this campaign, especially on social media. I thought you should know about it. It includes things like:

MYTH:  "Jesse's a professional politician".
FACT:  I was 47 when I became a Member of Parliament. Before that I spent 25 years in business, academia and running an educational charity.

MYTH:  "Jesse's a party stooge".
FACT:   My reputation in Westminster is the exact opposite, as an independent minded Tory forcefully able to express his views and influence decisions. That's why David Cameron and I fell out on several occasions, notably over the proposal to bomb Syria, and why I was awarded Rebel of the Year in 2013.

MYTH:  "Jesse's done nothing for the county".
FACT:  Just look at my record:  helping Hereford Hospital save £5 million on the Private Finance Initiative, leading the campaign for the new university project, protecting Hereford and Ross hospitals from merger or takeover, helping to fight off Agombar and Lonsdale from Hereford United, working with the Council on the fast broadband roll-out and the Rotherwas Enterprise Zone, plus 600+ cases a year on behalf of local people, etc. etc.

It's worth adding one further thing. In July 2016 Theresa May appointed me as Minister of Energy. Part of the deal if you are a Minister in the Government is that you support the Government. But that's *good* for our county because it allows me greater access to and (I hope) influence over the key decision-makers.

So: when I was fighting for the £8 million in start-up funding we have received for the university project, it made a huge difference that my office was 20 yards away from the minister who made the decision.

And the ugly truth is that any other candidate would really struggle to make an impact at Westminster, and especially when the Government's focus is so firmly on the Brexit negotiations.

I think most Herefordians are far too savvy to get taken by this kind of rubbish. But it is likely to get worse during the last ten days of the election. 

So *please*, if you value what we've done so far, pay no attention to these and other bits of fake news, and make up your own mind on the merits.

And please share this with your friends, so they can do the same.

Best,

Jesse