Petition 'Turn Off Lights At Asda Junction Hereford'

Colin, where I have always agreed that the lights should be turned off, also speaking in its favour last October at full council meeting Cllr price as you know ignored your first petition and he is not the type of person to change his mind, so I think the new petition will fall on deaf ears, but I hope I am wrong.I HAVE SIGNED THE NEW PETITION!

Colin, where I have always agreed that the lights should be turned off, also speaking in its favour last October at full council meeting Cllr price as you know ignored your first petition and he is not the type of person to change his mind, so I think the new petition will fall on deaf ears, but I hope I am wrong.I HAVE SIGNED THE NEW PETITION!

Where there is a will there can always be a way Glenda  :Happy_32: , I have re-signed too and shared.

I am not being defeatest, before anyone on here says I am, but with respect Bill you do not know Cllr Price its his decision as cabinet member and unless it concerns him personally, or its in his own ward,or he's in favour of it (which he isn't) he won't do anything. I worked along side of him for 6 years and I know what he's like..

I am not being defeatest, before anyone on here says I am, but with respect Bill you do not know Cllr Price its his decision as cabinet member and unless it concerns him personally, or its in his own ward,or he's in favour of it (which he isn't) he won't do anything. I worked along side of him for 6 years and I know what he's like..

He may not get voted in next time and anything can happen. I know he can be stubborn but he is no fool either so if there is overwhelming support he will have to compromise at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just read about a new report about too many traffic lights from the Institute for Economic Affairs

"a two-minute delay to every car journey made in a year equates to an astonishing loss to the economy of around £16 billion."

And turning off traffic lights is such an easy thing to at least try!

I've just read about a new report about too many traffic lights from the Institute for Economic Affairs

"a two-minute delay to every car journey made in a year equates to an astonishing loss to the economy of around £16 billion."

Thank you for sharing this link, interesting read.

...and most of that in Hereford, where I am sure the council have a special deal to get traffic lights at cost price :)

Seriously though, count the number of lights (including pedestrian crossings) between Belmont Tesco and leaving town towards Worcester.....I think it's about 16 sets (going via Commercial Road

...and most of that in Hereford, where I am sure the council have a special deal to get traffic lights at cost price :)

Seriously though, count the number of lights (including pedestrian crossings) between Belmont Tesco and leaving town towards Worcester.....I think it's about 16 sets (going via Commercial Road

Try a recount, there are 16 sets of traffic lights on this Asda junction alone.

• 1 month later...

Don't know what the hell is going on with the lights in Blackfriars Street.They have ground sensors but are not working.
Lights are now just on a loop of Blackfriars St,Merton car park,Old Market then pedestrians.
And the lights at Newmarket Roundabout have been changed....Again.You can sit there for 2 mins without any traffic going around.
About time these lights were either turned off completely of made part time.

My friend reckons that the lights will be deliberately phased across Hereford to cause delays and gridlock in the run up to the planning application for the Southern Link Road. The Council have been unsettled as they thought they would have planning permission over a year ago but have loads more objections than they ever expected. The Council will actually try and make congestion worse so that locals will be begging for a bypass - which isnt what they are ever going to get. Why else would they be building a new road junction on Edgar St with yet another set of traffic lights on the A49?

My friend reckons that the lights will be deliberately phased across Hereford to cause delays and gridlock in the run up to the planning application for the Southern Link Road. The Council have been unsettled as they thought they would have planning permission over a year ago but have loads more objections than they ever expected. The Council will actually try and make congestion worse so that locals will be begging for a bypass - which isnt what they are ever going to get. Why else would they be building a new road junction on Edgar St with yet another set of traffic lights on the A49?

They don't need to re phase the lights to get people to shout about a bypass - we have been shouting for 40 years

They don't need to re phase the lights to get people to shout about a bypass - we have been shouting for 40 years

I understood that Hereford is not getting a "bypass" at all. The new road around Hereford to the West is apparently planned to go through the middle of some very large housing estates, particularly the big development at Three Elms where over 1,500 new houses are going to be built. If this "bypass" goes through new large housing estates similar to the developments at Belmont then all the roads into Hereford will just get even more congested. The "bypass" will not make any difference to all the local residents getting in and out of Hereford for shopping/health services/schools and colleges.

Instead of waiting for Herefordshire Council to solve the problem (as you say they havent done this for 40 years)  I am dusting down my old bike and asking my ward councillor to try and get the Council to improve bus services and safe walking and cycling routes. That way I can avoid some of the traffic lights (there arent any on the Great Western Way) and get around Hereford more quickly. Hoping to even lose weight in the process and feel less hot under the collar about sitting in traffic jams when I pop into town. I must admit this week I have enjoyed some very nice sunny days and heard lots of birds singing and it has made me feel alot happier than driving my car and sitting in traffic. Also it hasnt cost me a penny in car parking charges and no worries about a parking fine if I meet a friend for a coffee.

I understood that Hereford is not getting a "bypass" at all. The new road around Hereford to the West is apparently planned to go through the middle of some very large housing estates, particularly the big development at Three Elms where over 1,500 new houses are going to be built. If this "bypass" goes through new large housing estates similar to the developments at Belmont then all the roads into Hereford will just get even more congested. The "bypass" will not make any difference to all the local residents getting in and out of Hereford for shopping/health services/schools and colleges.

Instead of waiting for Herefordshire Council to solve the problem (as you say they havent done this for 40 years)  I am dusting down my old bike and asking my ward councillor to try and get the Council to improve bus services and safe walking and cycling routes. That way I can avoid some of the traffic lights (there arent any on the Great Western Way) and get around Hereford more quickly. Hoping to even lose weight in the process and feel less hot under the collar about sitting in traffic jams when I pop into town. I must admit this week I have enjoyed some very nice sunny days and heard lots of birds singing and it has made me feel alot happier than driving my car and sitting in traffic. Also it hasnt cost me a penny in car parking charges and no worries about a parking fine if I meet a friend for a coffee.

Which is similar to what I do during the warmer months between March and September/October - I use my bike. In fact it takes the same amount of time to do the 8 miles to work on my bike, as it does in the car!

The reasoning (in my opinion) behind the Western "relief" road, is simple - it opens up huge tracts of land (a lot of which is on the council owned farm land - and land owned by councillors, strange that) for housing development. Grafton, Stretton Sugwas, Holmer etc - all of which attract a kick back to the council per house built of a few thousand £££.

They know what they are doing at the council, even if some of it is slightly dubious.........

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Someone is starting to listen to what Colin has been shouting about for years, lets hope Cllr Price takes note!

This assumes Cllr Price wants to improve traffic flows in Hereford. I have said somewhere else, that my friend thinks that this Council will keep making the traffic worse and worse in the run up to the Southern Link Road planning application. They are adding extra traffic lights to Edgar St for the City Link Road, and I think Dippy Hippy said there are to be 4 sets of traffic lights along this new City Link Road. So Herefordshire Council arent looking at reducing the number of traffic lights anytime soon in Hereford. 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Well they have finally admitted that their scheme does not work! 

Jams have been made worse on dozens of major roads in England by a project to tackle bottlenecks, bosses admit.

Evaluation of the first year of Highways England's (HE) £317m programme showed rush hour benefits but delays at other times.

The A5 and A49 junction in Shropshire, parts of the M6 in Merseyside and M40 in Oxfordshire were the most affected.

The RAC said it was "very disappointing" but some schemes had led to fewer road casualties.

The pinch-point programme was started in 2011 to relieve congestion, stimulate growth in local economies and improve safety.

Traffic lights problem

HE's report looked at the impact of nearly half of the 119 schemes on England's motorways and major A roads.

The report concludes the schemes have not cut journey times and stated the impact of projects "across all 168 hours of the week, not just the 10-30 peak hours" must be considered.

The problems were predominantly caused by the introduction of traffic lights, it said.

UK rush hour drivers spend more than a day in traffic

Longer journey times during off-peak periods cost £5.6m in the first year, compared with shorter journeys at peak periods which had had a benefit worth £5.1m.

Congestion had increased at the junction of the A5 and A49 in Shrewsbury, site of the highest economic costs, at £2.5m.

Junction 23 of the M6 at Newton-Le-Willows cost £1.5m and junction 9 of the M40 in Wendlebury was £1m.

An HE spokesman said the report showed that overall the schemes were successful at tackling congestion at the busiest times and improving safety.

"Meanwhile, we are considering a range of options to improve journeys by using traffic signals which respond to traffic flows," he said

Source

• 7 months later...