Saving The Working Boys Home *UPDATE*

No offence GK, but people don't want to come to Hereford to shop, why on earth would they want to come here for a holiday or short break? The riverside is... is nothing, baron and empty, the famous "boathouse" (mentioned even in Hollywood blockbusters) is no more,  the shops are closed, the roads are failing. Go 8 miles down the road to Ross and you have access to a motorway, a bypass, quaint shops, hotels and river side pubs and activities. Go up the road to Hay with it's notoriety and Hay festival and the place cashes in with it's little book shops and tea rooms. 

Hereford is WORLD famous for it's beef and we have what to show for it? Nothing - at all. I mean, if you came here as a tourist you wouldn't have a clue about it's association with Beef, apart from, at a push, the new statue of a bull in town. As I've pointed out in a previous thread, you can find Hereford Steak Houses in cities the world over...... apart from Hereford. That, really, just sums up how moronic, shortsighted and clueless this council is.

On a different but sort of related subject (as in Herefordshire Council and their arm's length organizations muddled thinking) has anyone else read the article in the Hereford Times by Fiona Phillips espousing Sir Ben Gill's (chairman of Visit Herefordshire) views on the need for tens of thousands of new homes in the county, less nimbyism and a need to increase the county pop to 250000? I am not saying there is no merit in these views just that I find it a bit incongruous that he's in charge of promoting tourism in Herefordshire and he's banging on about the need to build build build! Is it me or is it just Monday morning?  

I'd copy and paste the link but I don't know how!

Ah, sorry dippy, my last post is not really on topic! With regard to the Blackfriars Building and the Working Boys Home they are both assets the Council should have handled better. The Working Boys Home should be put on the open market if the Council has no use for it anymore. Maximum return could be achieved for Council coffers and developers can revive it for residential use whilst protecting the facade and any interiors of importance.       

So - this is the 3/4 week pushback that Mark Hubbard spoke of in his post a few days ago.

I am pleased that momentum seems to be gathering in the battle to keep this building.....just need to keep it up now!

(Aylestone Voice, I initially thought you'd linked to Johns post....so thanks for providing this HT update on The Boys Home!)

One thing I have done is to e-mail my two ward councillors telling them of my concerns and asking for their views.

I have had replies which say they want to think about it which I guess this is fair enough. My aim was to raise as many questions in their minds as I could so that they start asking questions up at Brockington. If we all do this then it should keep the pressure up.

Absolutely Aylestone Voice!

My main concern is that there are still far too many people who are completely unaware of the planned fate of this building....when I mention this to folks, they are totally surprised. We need to really raise awareness as much as we possibly can.

Tell me more about this.

Ronin 1998 with Sean Bean, Jean Reno and Robert De Niro

www.imdb.com/title/tt0122690/quotes

Let's not also forget the SAS, while it's all very hush hush, and rightly so, Hereford features in the Call of Duty games, even to the point where you are introduced to the game through the camp in Credenhill (albeit a reimagined Credenhill).

We need to cash in on these things.

Hereford Steak House

Riverside Pubs and Restaurants - a floating boat restaurant even better

Military based activity days..... "learn tactical paintball, just like the SAS!"

If my forte was in food, I would be jumping at the chance to open a Hereford Steak House. Locally sourced beef only would make it locally sustainable, economically viable and a marketing dream. In fact, I'm somewhat disappointed that it isn't. I have known people keen to open steak houses here but were put off by the high rates and are now no longer in a financial position to do so.

Thanks so much for this Colin!

Aylestone Voice has also posted a link to this, and I have left a comment on this HT news story, urging folk to sign up to Hereford Voice if they would like to contribute to this discussion!

I am always really touched when fellow posters help me out with my techno-phobia by posting links etc. for me!

You are a great bunch!

lol dippy

Just to illustrate some history of this site I have pulled the following information off the internet:

Thanks for that, I know exactly what you mean now :)
So um... the fire station is going there then? A lot narrow that road isn't it. Funnily enough, that's the road I spent the 30 ******* minutes on going nowhere :P