Businesses in trouble

Denise Lloyd

Toys R Us

Maplins

Chimi ................. eating place in the OLM

The first 2 have gone into administration and the last one closing places throughout the country and those are the ones that have been announced today.  What is causing these hard times?  Should the Cons be worried that a recession is on it's way?

It would be very interesting to know how many jobs in this country have been lost since Christmas and how many jobs have been created.

Carpetright are also going through iffy times.

Cannot take the sheer frustration of trawling through rails of clothes in shops so just shop online. Sit in traffic park up pay parking just too much hassle give me online any day! The money is still going to the business so they are not losing money from online shoppers.   

On 28/02/2018 at 18:28, Rebecca Morrison said:

I cannot see how people can blame the Conservatives most of the time it is down to poor management at the top with businesses it was no different under Labour, come on! 

Unfortunately this is a sign of the times, I get fed up of going into my local shop and when I cannot find my seize they ALWAYS tell me to go online, nothing like encouraging shoppers to go elsewhere eh.

I am not blaming the Tories solely , I am blaming what is happening and has been for the last few years. In the trade I am in it is the same , people are not spending like they were . It only accounts for a part but austerity kicked in after the banks failed , the banks have paid back 90% but austerity gets harder with no let up. People panic and the weak businesses or whatever will suffer . As an aside since the tories have been in office homelessness/ street sleepers have risen 35 % , that in itself isn't a good advert . We are in really bad times but there is always someone to point a finger at but who is manning the boat ????? 

• Thumbs Up 1

From Positive Money:

In 2010 the government cancelled a program to rebuild 715 schools, because they’d run out of money. But at the same time the Bank of England had created £445 billion of new money through a program called Quantitative Easing. Instead of this money being spent on something useful, it was pumped into the financial markets, benefiting the richest 5% but doing almost nothing to create jobs and stable economic recovery.

So why does the government cancel essential projects because “there’s no money”, while at the same time the Bank of England was able to create more new money than the entire government spends in 6 months? Why is it that the power to create money is used to blow up property bubbles and boost financial markets, but not to do the things that we actually need? Our latest video explains how things could have been done differently, and why it’s so important to campaign for a better monetary system…

In the years following the financial crisis, the UK wasted £445bn on a failed scheme to stimulate the economy and end the recession. This was one of the biggest missed opportunities in history. Watch the video and see how it happened:

9 minutes ago, Ubique said:

Don't want to be the messanger of doom and gloom but the upmarket Jewellers / Watches shop SWAROSKI have just closed their Exeter shop , wonder how safe the Hereford shop is? 

I only mentioned that I never see anyone in this store to my mrs the other day

On 6 March 2018 at 13:20, Denise Lloyd said:

I don't think the shop Animal is feeling too healthy either

Yes you are correct Denise , Animal in Bewell St has large signs in window , closing down etc. Sad but there's a reason for most happenings in life .

Countrywide Farmers enters administration after sale falls throughFarmingUK‏ @FarmingUK 3h3 hours ago

Administrators have been appointed to retailer Countrywide Farmers Plc, which employs around 735 people, due to "significant trading difficulties" and "cash flow pressures"

So Ragwert (who apparently knows it all) does not know if there is a New Look in Hereford and Denise thinks it is in the OLM.

Well you could both go along High Street and lo and behold there it is

Yes in retailing times are tough but a major part of the problem is the debts the chains build up - it is not that Hereford alone has a problem

And why do people seem to take some perverse delight in pointing out that shops restaurants are to close? 

11 minutes ago, Aylestone Voice said:

So Ragwert (who apparently knows it all) does not know if there is a New Look in Hereford and Denise thinks it is in the OLM.

Well you could both go along High Street and lo and behold there it is

Yes in retailing times are tough but a major part of the problem is the debts the chains build up - it is not that Hereford alone has a problem

And why do people seem to take some perverse delight in pointing out that shops restaurants are to close? 

Looks like I don't know it all...After all :Blushing_32:.Oh well such is life :Grin:

New Look stores identified for potential closure:

Aberdeen - Bon Accord

Beckton

Bolton Mens

Borehamwood

Brynmawr

Burton Mens

Cameron Toll

Cardiff - Queen Arcade

Cheshunt

Clevedon

Craigleith

Doncaster Mens

Dundee – Wellgate

Exeter Mens; Fleet

Gateshead - Team Valley

Glasgow - Buchanan Street Mens

Gorleston; Hanley Mens - Intu Potteries

Hounslow Mens

Hull – Whitefriargate

Keynsham - Kingswood;

Leeds - The Core Shopping Centre

Leicester – Haymarket

London - Marble Arch

London - Moorgate/ London Wall

London - Oxford Circus

Maidenhead; Maidstone Mens

Merry Hill Mens

Metro Centre – Mens

Monmouth; Newport Mens

Newton Mearns

North Shields

Nottingham Mens

Ocean Terminal

Peterbrough Bridge Street

Pontypool; Portswood

Ramsgate; Reading - Broad Street

Reading Oracle Mens

Rhyl; Romford Mens

Rugby

Shrewsbury Mens

Sidmouth; Stockport – Merseyway

Stockton-on-Tees

Stratford Upon Avon -Bridge Street

Thornaby; Tonypandy

Torquay - Union Street

Tredegar; Troon

Wallsend

Weston Favell

Wigan Mens

I have just been reading that the low cost accessory chain Claire' s Accessories could close after they are facing a £1.4 billion debt bill with a £43 million interest payment due next week .

Rumours that the Company will file for bankruptcy in the US  but hope to avoid it by securing a deal to help ease the debt bill. Of course time will tell if they are successful .

They have a shop in the  Maylord , 

Ragwert it does not give me any pleasure to see all these shops failing what does concern me is just what is happening to this country.  So many jobs lost coutrywide since the start of the New year with no sign of things pciking up.  In your wisdom where do you Ragwert see where this country is heading? 

23 minutes ago, Denise Lloyd said:

Ragwert it does not give me any pleasure to see all these shops failing what does concern me is just what is happening to this country.  So many jobs lost coutrywide since the start of the New year with no sign of things pciking up.  In your wisdom where do you Ragwert see where this country is heading? 

My wisdom is as good as yours Denise now we are leaving the EU. 'Up the creek without a paddle' would be my best guess as to where we are heading

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Aylestone Voice said:

Actually do we know if Lakeland as a business is in trouble? Yes they are trying to renegotiate their rents etc but that perhaps does not put them in the same bracket as others.

Perhaps Mark Ellis who I have as the last named owner of the building could explain the position from his point of view?

poor people.jpg

The Guardian, Sarah Butler

Wed 11 Apr 2018 11.54 BST

6,000 shops close in tough year for UK's high streets

Internet shopping and weak pound bite as consumer confidence and wages fall

(extract)

The UK’s high streets suffered 5,855 store closures in 2017, more than in any year since 2010, as fashion retailers, shoe shops, travel agents and estate agents have been driven out by the rise of internet shopping.

A net 1,700 chain shops closed their doors in 2017, according to analysis of the UK’s top 500 towns compiled by the Local Data Company (LDC) for PricewaterhouseCoopers. An average of 11 stores a day opened, while 16 a day closed. The data does not include independent shops.

Fashion and footwear stores were the hardest hit in 2017, according to LDC, as shoppers’ freedom to spend on non-essentials was diminished by rising food price inflation, partly fuelled by the fall in the value of the pound after the vote for Brexit in 2016.

The pace of closures increased substantially in the second half of last year, reflecting the switch to online shopping, combined with rising staff and business rates costs. Shoppers reined in spending, with consumer confidence reaching a four-year low in December.

Lakeland's rateable value £73,500 maybe part of the problem although the Steamer Trading Ltd just up the road is paying £100,000 per annum rent and rateable value is £105,000

www.smithprice.co.uk/uploads/media/capital-markets/Hereford%20-%203-4%20Commercial%20Street%20Feb%202017.pdf