AVOID THE POTHOLES

DILLIGAF

Well I shall go for the sympathy vote now.  I am at home recovering from my 2nd knee replacement op arrived home Friday aft.  Today was the first time I looked out of the front door to take any notice (which I blame on all the pain killing drugs that I am taking) looked at my car FLAT TYRE.  It is immaterial that I am not allowed to drive for 6 weeks I do know how I did that tyre in.  I hit this pothole on the Vowchurch road just by the Holsty on Saturday 4th Feb.  I was amazed that it did not burst there and then.

Is there any time limit  in which to claim?

This will the third tyre since mid Sept I have not claimed before

As somebody said to me I bet you are glad you not a spider - think about it!!

• 2 weeks later...

As I said further up the thread, the steady trickle of faults logged on fixmystreet.com has turned into a veritable flood. It does seem that maintenance of our roads seems to have ground to an almost complete halt - really, what is going on? £20m a year to BBLP for this? Any Councillors care to advise?

post-858-0-39363500-1488642301_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/02/2017 at 20:42, megilleland said:

Government road spending: where the money is going

The Department of Transport has added flesh to the headline figures for roads in the chancellors recent autumn statement.

West Midlands funding

West Midlands potholes breakdown

Local Highway Authority - Herefordshire, County of UA

Pothole Fund allocation - £899,000

Number of potholes filled (at £53 per pothole) - 17,000

Highways Maintenance Block allocation for 2017/18 - £10,244,000

I think in Herefordshire it's a lost cause.

And now the RAC Foundation say that more than 3,000 council-maintained road bridges in Great Britain are substandard.

In Herefordshire the figures are:

670 Number of bridges in Herefordshire

20 Number of substandard bridges

3% Proportion of substandard bridges

1 Of which are intended to be returned to full load capacity in next 5 years

20 Of which, if no resource restrictions, that would be returned to full load carrying capacity

£5,929,200 Backlog (workbank)*

*Backlog is the amount of work required to bring the stock (of bridges/carriageways etc.) to a good – but not necessarily perfect condition.

Have just been out on my usual cycling route which includes the road from the Greenway to the Straight Mile at Rotherwas. The road also serves the BBLP depot.

Interestingly the potholes that were there last week have been filled. And No! it is not just chuck some tarmac in a hole - they have resurfaced whole sections.

Different rules apply it seems

I would say the state of HFDS roads is at an all time low - at least since two horses drowned in a hole on the turnpike from Hereford to Kington.

It seems there are very few repairs taking place, they also appear to be filtering what few holes they do repair. Increasingly I notice larger holes are filled but smaller (but still a pothole size) are ignored.

It is getting rediculous. No one seems to care and its impossible to take anyone to task.

Several very large ones appearing now between Clehonger and Madley. Three in a cluster on Bowling Green Pitch (heading towards Clehonger) just past the left turn into Clehonger, and a very large one, almost a 1/3rd of the way across the road, just before The Comet (same side - about 3/5 miles past the Eaton Bishop Turn).