Hereford Council aka Asset Strippers

Denise Lloyd

Yet another asset of the county has been put on the market.

How did the Council come by these properties - were they purchased as an investment when they were going cheap were they bequeathed or were they bought to be used when the Council is as cash strapped as it is now.  Anybody know?  Whatever the reason the less assets on the books the more the interest on the cash borrowed of which there is plenty.

Moor House Hereford a beautiful Grade II listed mansion.

There are prestigious estate agents in Herefordshire yet the Council continue to source out of county professional services so even the selling fees do not stay in the county

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=470d858353&view=att&th=1574781c3ce81ba6&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=c9febf08f0f5a5e_0.1&safe=1&zw

Hi Denise.

I can't get the link to work?

Is this the lovely building off Widemarsh common that originally belonged to the Chave family?

I always thought this would make an amazing private city residence for someone, although it is a little too close to Sun Valley, obviously!

I guess it'll be turned into apartments, a la the Victoria eye hospital, combined with extra accommodation in the extensive grounds.

Lovely building, no doubt sadly neglected by the Council whilst in its ownership (see Bath St Working Boys Home et al) and part of Bramers fire sale of anything and everything to pay for the Link Road. Yes, it would be interesting to see how they came to own it - they have an unpleasant record of disposing of property left to the people in perpetuity. I expect someone in the Civic Society might know.

Wow, thanks megilleland, that is a brilliant resource!

I went poking around at Moor house one Sunday afternoon a few months ago.

One, or more, of those glass houses are(were) still standing (just).

It's an interesting point made by twowheelsgood about how the council came by this asset.

Wow, thanks megilleland, that is a brilliant resource!

I went poking around at Moor house one Sunday afternoon a few months ago.

One, or more, of those glass houses are(were) still standing (just).

It's an interesting point made by twowheelsgood about how the council came by this asset.

Yea that's amazing photo of moor house the cider works…I never knew that a cider works used to be there I guess it must have been demolish to make way for the sun valley factory? Interesting to note how many industrial brick chimneys there are in the photo…I believe there is only one chimney of that type still standing in the city now & that's on the site of the old boys home.

at lest they can't allow moor house to be demolish being as it's listed…it does make you think how many other such assets HC own & how much more of those assets are they willing to flog off?

It does also make you wonder how they came by a lot of these older buildings & farms etc?

And the flip side of this particular coin is that yet more cuts are in the offing:

http://www.ledburyreporter.co.uk/news/14751613.Ideas_wanted_as_Herefordshire_Council_warns_of_more_cuts/

Council Fuhrer Johnson wants your ideas on "how we can improve." I'm sure some of you will be more than happy to oblige. :Winky:

I dont understand this as I thought the Council had millions of pounds what with all the new houses going to be built in the Centre of Hereford as an urban village as well as all these new roads being built and the Council kindly paying to have asbestos removed from Elgar House for a private landlord, etc. I was in High Town yesterday and there was a display of all the other wonderful new things they are going to do in the future. My friend showed me this link http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/documents/s50040614/Appendix%201%20-%20fin%20-%20ECONOMIC%20MASTER%20PLAN%20HFD1690%20V3.pdf (It is a very big file but some lovely dreamy pictures of the River Wye in Hereford). This plan has a whole list of amazing things the Council are going to be doing over the next 10 years -such as spend hundreds of millions on a bypass; 3 new University buildings; building on the banks of the River Wye; building a new rowing club and "water park"; multi storey car parks on every road coming into Hereford. It is amazing how much money they seem to have, and yet apparently they cant keep our libraries open like they used to and bus services are likely to be cut.

Not proofed very well - I got to page 5 and there is 

2. Over x business supported with grants or business advice.

6. Facilitating the building x number of new homes over the past three years.

Page 6 - Herefordshire has very low unemployment, x% as of Jan 2016,  nding jobs is not an issue within the county, however in 2016 Herefordshire  nds itself within the bottom (x%) of local authority areas across Great Britain in terms of average weekly wage.

They couldn't even be bothered to bang in some fictitious figures.

It's amazing how mediocre 'the best' can turn out to be (or perhaps not).

One other thing - HOW MANY quarters can a City have? I see a 'River Quarter' and a 'Business Quarter' emerging along with the six or seven other quarters ... 

Gave up at that point.

Via David Whitehead, local historian;

Moor House  was given to the Herefordshire County Council by Mrs. Chave in the 1960s to be used as a Museum of Herefordshire Rural Life but the Council never implemented her proposal. The old Civic Trust investigated the status of the gift but could not find anything that indicated that the fulfilment of the bequest was binding. The Trust got Widemarsh Common and the grounds of Moor House designated a Conservation Area – albeit opposed by most councillors at the time – this was in the 1980s. The Council have treated the building very badly but turned down the recent application for more parking. It is both Grade II listed and in a Conservation Area.

TWG/Dave Whitehead Am I naive in assuming Mrs Chave is as in Chave and Jackson.  Yet another bequest that HC have treated in the correct manner!

Adamski because this building is in a conservation area and is Grade II listed there are certain limitations as to it's future.

But there again it's past upkeep should have been within the guidelines of a conservation area and a Grade II listing but I will say no more on that subject.

MaggieMay the document you managed to land in your lap is only in draft form and more than likely not for the general public.  Good find thought! Only briefly looked through it last night and all I can say at this stage is I wish I was on the same stuff that the authors of the document are most definitely on.  Just how much has this novel cost to produce?

Mrs Chave was the wife of Dr Chave, of Chave and Jackson.

With my pedant hat on, the title of this thread should say Herefordshire Council, not Hereford Council, which is the Town/City/Parish Council.

I am reminded by the slightly huffy letter from the Town Clerk in HT today, keeping the long standing (and rather pathetic) animosity between Parish and District on the boil.

TWG i absolutely agree with you I should have put Herefordshire Council I normally do when referring to the shower that are supposed to look after our souls.

Only just received my HT it was indeed a slightly odd letter obviously HC are about to do something more to upset the public.  Could not quite work out whether he was speaking personally or on behalf of Hereford Council  

• 5 months later...

In this week's PA's - it reads ok to me quite sympathetic really. The Architects perhaps should have read this forum beforehand to find out  HC were left the property and further background history.  Reading through the docs it looks like HC have kept their maintenance standards up to their usual level.  If they were individuals they could well easily earn themselves the badge of Tenants from Hell and also Landlords from Hell. God bless them. 

170563/L Former Offices at Moor House Widemarsh Common Road Hereford HR4 9NA Conversion, extension and change of use from offices to residential accommodation consisting of 11 one bedroom apartments and 3 studio apartments Listed Building Consent Valid Thursday 6 April 2017

P170562/F Former Offices at Moor House Widemarsh Common Road Hereford HR4 9NA Conversion, extension and change of use from offices to residential accommodation consisting of 11 one bedroom apartments and 3 studio apartments Planning Permission Valid Thursday 6 April 2017

I also see that the Council are looking to lift covenants and sell the old Holme Lacy primary school http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/15168112.Consultation_on_the_future_of_closed_primary_school/ . "Herefordshire Council is currently consulting on a proposal to lift the restrictive education covenants from the land and playing fields so it can sell or redevelop the land." 

Am I being simple but if the Council are looking to build houses on this site and also at Lower Bullingham, etc surely they will need a school? Or are the Council planning to just attract people retiring to the area rather than provide facilities and schools for young families.

• 3 months later...

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/15364253.Planning_approval_given_to_convert_offices_into_apartments/?ref=mrb&lp=2

This refers to Moor House.

Such a shame that permission could not have been granted on the Sutton St Nicholas pa for Claire and Steve Snead who have tried and tried to get planning permission to build the home for their whole family to live in on land owned by them.  See page 6 of the HT I am sure this has been discussed somewhere on HV but cannot find it.

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/15364253.Planning_approval_given_to_convert_offices_into_apartments/?ref=mrb&lp=2

This refers to Moor House.

Such a shame that permission could not have been granted on the Sutton St Nicholas pa for Claire and Steve Snead who have tried and tried to get planning permission to build the home for their whole family to live in on land owned by them.  See page 6 of the HT I am sure this has been discussed somewhere on HV but cannot find it.

Nice to see the Planning Committee following the advice of their officers and supporting their own planning polices by refusing this application

Nice to see the Planning Committee following the advice of their officers and supporting their own planning polices by refusing this application

At the same meeting, an application on the other side of the County was approved for a dwelling for a disabled person, contrary to planning policies.

Just a couple of fields away from the Sutton St Nicholas application, permission was granted for a new house a little while ago - contrary to the same planning policies. The applicant was a former Tory councillor's brother.

Let's not forget Cllr Greenow was granted planning permission for a new house in the open countryside a little while ago - with no extenuating circumstances and contrary to planning policies.

It's the C word again - consistency, or lack thereof, one of this Council's many failings.

At the same meeting, an application on the other side of the County was approved for a dwelling for a disabled person, contrary to planning policies.

Just a couple of fields away from the Sutton St Nicholas application, permission was granted for a new house a little while ago - contrary to the same planning policies. The applicant was a former Tory councillor's brother.

Let's not forget Cllr Greenow was granted planning permission for a new house in the open countryside a little while ago - with no extenuating circumstances and contrary to planning policies.

It's the C word again - consistency, or lack thereof, one of this Council's many failings.

Oh absolutely you are right but this goes back decades. For example South Herefordshire District Council Councillors were notorious at giving planning permission to family and friends and to anyone with a personal begging case. I doubt you will ever change it.

When these things are done it does nothing to solve the rural housing crisis 

Oh absolutely you are right but this goes back decades. For example South Herefordshire District Council Councillors were notorious at giving planning permission to family and friends and to anyone with a personal begging case. I doubt you will ever change it.

When these things are done it does nothing to solve the rural housing crisis 

Wasn't SHDC notorious for its appearances in Private Eye's Rotten Boroughs column and was well known as one of the UK's most bent Councils? One imagines much of the same mindset and/or culture was transferred to the County Council circa 1998.

• 7 months later...

Auction being held on the 19/02/2018 at the Le Meridien, 21 Piccadilly, London W1J 0BH

Lots with guide price

Lot 28. Units on Netherwood Road, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 6JZ      £25,000

Lot 29. Units on Netherwood Road, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 6JZ      £25,000

Lot 33. Unit 42 Chapel Road, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 6LD             To be announced

Lot 39. Units on Netherwood Road, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 6JZ     Â£25,000

Lot 40. Units on Netherwood Road, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 6JZ     £25,000

Below are the results of the National property auction held on the 11/12/2017 at the Le Meridien, 21 Piccadilly, London W1J 0BH

Lot 7.    Units On Netherwood Road, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 6JZ      Sold for £101,000     

Lot 39. 439 Twyford Road, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 6JR                     Sold for £52,000     

Lot 40. Unit 1, Fir Tree Lane, Rotherwas Industrial Estate, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR2 6LA                 Sold for £54,000     

Lot 43. 2 Over Ross Farm House, 26(A) Over Ross Farm, Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire, HR9 7BN         Sold for £160,000     

Total £367,000

Below are the results of the National property auction held on the 20/02/2017 at the Le Meridien, 21 Piccadilly, London W1J 0BH

Lot 33. 24A & 25 Commercial Street, Hereford, Herefordshire, HR1 2DE     Sold after auction for an undisclosed amount

In the Hereford Times today:

Rotherwas businesses face uncertain future as land sold at auction

(extract)

BUSINESSES on Hereford's Rotherwas Industrial Estate are facing an uncertain future as the council sells off land at open auction to raise money.

It is feared that international companies could buy the land, which is being auctioned off in London, and out-bid local companies before changing lease terms.

Deborah Gittoes, managing director of Arctic Circle Limited, have been based at Rotherwas for the last 32 years and fear that Herefordshire Council has not investigated all options before selling land on the open market.

"I am dismayed that as a leaseholder of land from the council, that they did not find it necessary to send a letter out informing tenets of their impending plans," said Mrs Gittoes.

"It was only when the first auction of land was arranged that companies TRP and Hereford Industrial found out about these plans.

"TRP apparently asked the council if they could buy the land but were told for ‘transparency’ they would need to go to auction (in London). TRP were fortunate in the fact that they were successful in purchasing the land they have their premises on albeit for a sum far greater than expected. The next auction is imminent."

The flogging off carries on. Gotta to raise a penny or two.