New Beattie Ave Apartments Need New Roof!

Colin James

You may have noticed the scaffolding has gone back up on the recently completed apartments in Beattie Avenue. I have been informed that there were problems with the installation of the roof and as a result a whole new roof replacement is now required, worrying to say the least.

Beattie Ave Flats.jpg

Having spoken to the workmen two weeks ago they told me  a new firm has been appointed to replace the roof. The roofers ( 8 of them) are getting paid £500 per day each for the six week period  it will take to completely renew the roof.

I am sorry to say the whole redevelopment houses and flats are causing concern, speaking to people moving into these properties there are faults  in them from, floors unlevel, leaks in bathrooms,and kitchens, and in  one area the houses have been built and they did not put the services in, so had to dig a 6ft trench to put them in. People have moved in across the road from me and workmen are having to go back to put things right, these are properties that have been bought!

This is what you get when you have no control over private companies. Up until the mid eighties you would have had two clerks of work on site full time to ensure the construction from start to finish was done correctly the Clerk of works worked for the county council, by the way on all road construction you had a clerk of works on site full time.But the tories did not want that someone who was capable of stopping the work in split second because of shoddy workmanship.Then the sell off of the housing stock and get rid of the council manual staff the deregulation by the tories is part of the reason Hereford is in so much debt the tories could not run a **** up in a brewery even if it was free.The question now is who pays for what.?

One young couple came to see me last Friday for advise with their grandparents who used to be two of my constituents ( they had paid the deposit for their grandchildrens house for them) they have only moved in 3 weeks ago and their is serious faults with the property  I advised for them to go to Keepmoat as they have to put it right, they told me Keepmoat  don't want to know, so they are having to find the money for a solicitor  to fight their case on their behalf.

The aim of the Code is to ensure that all new home buyers are:

* are treated fairly,

* know what levels of service to expect,

* are given reliable information about their purchase and their consumer rights before and after they move in, and know how to access speedy, low-cost dispute resolution arrangements to deal with complaints.

The Code reinforces best practice among home builders to make sure the level of information and customer service provided by all builders is consistently high. It builds on successful efforts already made by the industry to improve consumer satisfaction in recent years.

If all fails contact the BBC Consumer Programme "You and Yours".

This topic should probably be read in conjunction with these 2

The Oval Building Site  in The Oval 
Started by DILLIGAF, 06 Jan 2016  icon_tag.png ComplaintHerefordshire Housing and 4 more... 
Last Post by Solidus snake11 Feb 2016

•  
  •  

t_read_dot.pngNew Oval Houses Built Too Quickly  in The Oval 
Started by Colin James, 20 Nov 2015  icon_tag.png Oval 

•  
  •  

Last Post by DILLIGAF28 Nov 2015

Having spoken to the workmen two weeks ago they told me  a new firm has been appointed to replace the roof. The roofers ( 8 of them) are getting paid £500 per day each for the six week period  it will take to completely renew the roof.

Glenda are you sure the roofers are getting paid £500 a day? Because the total cost for labour is £120,000 for the six week period if that's the case…I'm sure the roofing company who original did the job would have to remedy the problem at their own expense or through company liability insurance?

The trouble is this whole rebuilding project has been done on the cheap which I dare to say has resulted in corners being cut?!

Cambo- yes the roofers told me themselves they are each getting £500 per day, that £4,000 a week multiply it by 6 weeks a lot of money. I asked were they the original roofers and they said no, Keepmoat had contacted their firm. I do not think the build was done on the cheap it was government money which amounted to millions of pounds. The problem is they were put up to fast and as you say corners have been cut. keepmoat has a terrible reputation in the north of the country and they were not the original builders that Herefordshire Housing approached, but the others backed out of the contract. The houses and apartments look ok but now they are built there is something wrong with all of them!.

Cambo- yes the roofers told me themselves they are each getting £500 per day, that £4,000 a week multiply it by 6 weeks a lot of money. I asked were they the original roofers and they said no, Keepmoat had contacted their firm. I do not think the build was done on the cheap it was government money which amounted to millions of pounds. The problem is they were put up to fast and as you say corners have been cut. keepmoat has a terrible reputation in the north of the country and they were not the original builders that Herefordshire Housing approached, but the others backed out of the contract. The houses and apartments look ok but now they are built there is something wrong with all of them!.

I would very much doubt they are getting even half of that, despite what they have told you. The work won't be being done by a gang in a van - it's too big a job for that - there will be a building company doing it, who will need to comply with all current construction legislation. No one's mentioned the cost of the materials on top of the labour and management costs.

What reason would they have to lie about how much they are being paid? it doesn't make sense. The firm/company is not "a gang in a van" I did not ask about the cost of materials, all the workmen said the other company made a right mess of things and questioned whether they were qualified to do the job. I could tell you a lot about this development, none of which is good!

It is probably costing £500+ a day for the roofing contractor not individuals! Despite what they may claim! Every tradesman would become a roofer if that's the pay!!! £500 a week maybe..... Then you factor in the costs of new materials, scaffold, decorators, internal remedial works, cleaners etc etc etc. Top it all off with a good dose of compo.....

DILLIGAF,As I said before (see post 14) why would they lie, about how much they are being paid what would they gain? and they volenteered the information when I asked them what was wrong because of the scaffolding around the flats. The press have become very interested in the whole of this development due to complaints they have received from tenants/homeowners over the past few months.

Glenda, they're pulling your leg! Believe me. Yes they may have offered up the information willingly but definitely not £500 a day each!!

Could you point me in the direction of the interested press coverage please? I'm sure they would relish an "evacuation" scoop exclusive.

Dilligaf, I see Keepmoat has given a statement to the HT (see page 10 of this week issue) . in regards to what is happening at Trevenant Court, stating its  annual maintenance work, funny that they have not been built 12 months yet, to merit a annual check, and if there was something wrong with the roof, as it is obvious there was why did they hand the keys over to HHL?.

If you would like to discuss the "evacuation" scoop with me you have my email address as my source at the HT told me this week that they look on me as their contact for press release stories.