Employment of illegal immigrants

Bilbobobby

You will have seen in the HT that the police & UK Border Agency have 'visited' 2 restaurants in the county. This is not new and to get a better understanding of what is being done and what can be done, I'll explain -

All non UK or EU residents have to have the right to stay in a member country and depending on their status the entitlement to work or study.

If they don't they commit offences mainly under the Immigrant Act 2006.

If employed the employer commits a civil offence enforced by the Border Agency with a civil fine of 10k to 20k depending on the status of the employee. Still with me ?

If employed in a licensed premises such as a pub, club, take-away or restaurant, an interested party such as the police can launch a licensing review with the ultimate sanction of the licence being revoked. This has happened locally, but normally the licence will be changed to allow conditions to be attached that ensure all immigrantion checks are done.

If not a licenced premises - some restaurants do not sell alcohol or provide hot food after 11pm, from a licensing stance nothing can be done.

The new Immigrantion Act going through parliament does strengthen the law.

This new act also seeks to tackle landlords who rent out to illegal immigrants. This is on top of tackling others who also employ illegals

Top of the iceberg is some people's view. Perhaps but its a start. If you know if this is happening, instead of moaning or turning a blind eye tell the authorities. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day so wait and watch if you do show your civil committment and tell someone

To keep it simple I'll say that I've seen various media releases in Hereford over the last couple of years and Indian and Chinese food outlets crop up quite often. I think it's probably safe to say that no patron of those would have a clue about the Immigration status of anyone working there. I suppose people living next door to them might have an idea of the comings and goings or indeed how many people might be crammed in at the back or upstairs behind the scenes. Ultimately I don't think this is on the radar of many people. It's not on mine. 

Basmati was closed for other reasons - mainly a contract issue between the tenant and the brewery. It's no longer a licensed property,

Have you ever looked twice at the various car cleaning groups across the city and wondered who the workers are?

What about the early morning commercial/shop cleaners or care home/carers ?

I'm not saying any are abused due to their residential or employment status as the vast majority do provide a worthwhile service and support the economy, but....checks by employers have to be done to ensure all have the right paperwork...it's not difficult whatsoever. HT report employment at a high in the county with numerous vacancies that can't be filled.

It's disappointing that only a few have read/posted on this thread - the same can be said about my last posting. Without a healthy debate on issues that impact on the county, this 'voice' seems to be a gentle whisper into the wind instead of the vibrant chatter of views that it was and the reason why I joined..Colin is promoting and pushing it's existence and we should all do our bit to help as well

It's disappointing that only a few have read/posted on this thread - the same can be said about my last posting. Without a healthy debate on issues that impact on the county, this 'voice' seems to be a gentle whisper into the wind instead of the vibrant chatter of views that it was and the reason why I joined..Colin is promoting and pushing it's existence and we should all do our bit to help as well

I tend to stay out of immigration topics these days as it gets me in trouble, because a lot of people only see one side and that is it, only have to look at what is happening with the migrants coming into Europe and people going crazy after the video of the child that had drowned. 

Have you ever looked twice at the various car cleaning groups across the city and wondered who the workers are?

You can't fail to notice these groups can you? I think most people would describe/perceive the people as Eastern European. Nothing wrong with that as plenty of those Eastern Countries are in the EU with all the rights that brings. But without asking to see their passport before you let them clean your car you won't know who they are or where they're from. There might be an illegal Albanian washing cars as part of a bigger group who could very well be legal. Who knows? The hand car washing industry does lend itself to cash only transactions though (at the point of delivery) so I would guess The Treasury will not be getting 100% of what it might be due. But when you rock up for a £3 hand car wash all you're looking for is a decent job to be done and you probably get it. 

I agree with Mick, if they are illegally here then deportation is required.

That does seem a convoluted and costly process at the moment. 

This new act also seeks to tackle landlords who rent out to illegal immigrants. 

Everyone sees these garages renting out space to these car wash groups and I don't really know how having done so they can keep a total eye on who might be turning up on a daily basis to do the car washing. There might be some named legal person who the process goes through but I've no doubt that once permission to work on a site has been agreed then sub arrangements get made with the actual washers. Some of whom then might be illegal. All a very murky process.