Southern Link Road Preferred Route

megilleland

I want to crawl under a rock and die this morning. I'm not a natural public speaker but last time I was angry enough with Johnson and Bretherton to forget to be cripplingly shy.  Nothing frustrates me more than my own limitations but it's too important to give up on.  The personal tragedy looming for Mike and Jean Harris and the sheer arrogance implied in Parsons Brinckerhoff's corner cutting should motivate us all.  

As ever, Anthony Powers' presentation of the facts was forensic and  flawless and needs to be deployed before a bigger audience along with some of the excellent contributions we heard.    To that end, I'm going to have one more go at gauging public opinion by organising a repeat event for the week after next with an ad in the Hereford Times on Monday morning.   It's imperative that we get a speaker of Anthony's calibre to give the wider picture and I have someone in mind who may be available before the consultation period expires.  We somehow need to get a head of steam behind this.  I heard enough angry comments on the doorstep while I was canvassing to believe that it's lack of community organisation rather than apathy that is impeding effective opposition.  

Ashley Elliott impressed me and reminded me that the various agencies involved in these things depend on people not having the expertise to challenge them.  For this reason poor communities are disproportionately dumped on.  

I'm not sure Jesse Normal is particularly invested in this scheme or the Enterprise Zone but likes a quiet life and will have gone along with the blandishments of the suits on the board of Skylon Park.   I don't really think Jesse cares how Herefordshire looks in ten years time.  

I must admit I was disappointed with last nights meeting, to much time given to past history and the Thatchers years ,not enough time for what the meeting was supposed to be about SC2. The past is the past, we are in the here and now. In regard to Jesse Norman he supports the eastern route and always have done. I was expecting to see members of the council there, but it was not their meeting so obviously they would not come or any of the south wye councillor's. It was a pity the one Cllr who supports the SC2 wasn't there he would of seen how much people are against it, but maybe that is why he didn't come. I feel to get people to another meeting the meeting should be about this road and nothing else.

Jean I enjoyed our conversation last night on the way home.

Greenknight I know who you are now I was told you were the person speaking to Martin. Never mind speak to me next time.  

Yes such a shame none of the new Ward Councillors showed their faces - oh forgive me if they were quietly skulking there but I don't think so.  Well done Glenda and Adrian they so could easily  hang their boots up now but no they are still at it and very much up with it - good.  This is not a time for politics. 

Amanda don't worry we all do things that we wish we could have done differently.

I hope somebody will be able to answer my question in my previous post. 

I recall that Anthony stated that the DfT / Highways England has no plans to fund the Western Relief Road up to 2040. It is certainly true that the scheme does not exist in any committed government road programme. However I am not sure where the year 2040 came from. The trouble with Herefordshire Council is that they believe that they are the centre of the universe. And yet the A49 is not likely to be a high priority for Highways England. They have many bigger problems than little old Hereford.

Belmont Rural Parish Council - Thursday 11 June 2015.

Belmont Rural Parish Council is dedicating a 30 minute slot next Thursday 11th June to the SC2 Route road (Planning Application).

This will be held at Belmont Community Centre, Belmont from 1900hrs until 1930hrs.

Residents who live within Belmont Rural Parish will be given the opportunity and a maximum of 3 minutes each to raise any concerns or issues you may well have on this alleged road improvement.

Please do come along as we want to know what issues you have so as your community representatives we can submit these to the Planning Department.

HAVE YOUR SAY AND SEND YOUR COMMENTS BY THE 18 JUNE 2015 TO HEREFORDSHIRE COUNCIL in writing.

Address these to

Ms Kelly Gibbons

Planning Dept

PO Box 230

Blueschool House

Blueschool Street

Hereford

HR1 2ZB

Tel: 01432 261781

Adrian Bridges

Adrian can anybody out of the "parish" attend?

Amanda I will address my comments to you (I consider you to be leader of this particular pack).  Have you or JLP contacted the local branch of CPRE I think the chairman is Richard Williams.  They are already no doubt preparing their letter.  They do submit amazingly well researched objections the last one that really made a difference was the PA for 90 or something houses at Belmont Golf Club area.

The downside is like every other organisation they are permanently looking for funds.  Naturally as more and more PA's are submitted so they are more and more needed.

Tracy B and David S apologies I will work out what you look like and won't make the same mistake again!

Must not forget the hedgerows which will all fall into the ancient category 

Great idea Cambo but don't you have to jump through all sorts of hoops these days before you can so much as take your hat off in High Town? Might be doable though.

I don't know Amanda but they have market stalls on a Saturday etc so should be doable?

If it can be done maybe something can be arranged jointly with HTF, here for Hereford & possible IOC?

Want to comment on the Southern Link Road, Hereford? How to do it can be found here http://www.hereforhereford.co.uk/2015/06/the-southern-link-road-planning-application-ref-p151314f/ â€¦ . Respond before 18th June 2015

0 retweets0 favourites
 Retweet
 Favourite
More

If anybody needs a bit of assistance and ideas on their objection to the SLR follow the link to give you a starting point

Although this is by no means a bad summary, I don't think point 2 is entirely correct. The DfT and Highways England (as they are now called) do require a range of transport options to be considered before road building, but not necessarily implemented. There is a big difference!

The scheme promoter (the council) needs to show that it has thoroughly considered all the options and selected the best performing one against the relevant objectives. It is highly debatable whether the council have done this.

It is important that point 2 is checked out and changed if necessary. The council will seize on any factual errors in objection submissions.

Adrian can anybody out of the "parish" attend?

Amanda I will address my comments to you (I consider you to be leader of this particular pack).  Have you or JLP contacted the local branch of CPRE I think the chairman is Richard Williams.  They are already no doubt preparing their letter.  They do submit amazingly well researched objections the last one that really made a difference was the PA for 90 or something houses at Belmont Golf Club area.

The downside is like every other organisation they are permanently looking for funds.  Naturally as more and more PA's are submitted so they are more and more needed.

Tracy B and David S apologies I will work out what you look like and won't make the same mistake again!

Yes if you live within Belmont Rural anyone can attend and has the right to speak. 

Now I'm not stupid enough to believe these things get anywhere however it's always worth a go so I've sent e-mails to the Secretary of State for Transport and a couple of Under Secretary's highlighting my concerns about the allocation of funds for this road project.

Thank you, green knight,  that's very much appreciated. Cumulatively, it might do some good.  As Anthony said, getting it called in doesn't solve the problem but it does buy some time.  

We're going to re-run last Friday's meeting, this time with a really good speaker.  John Stewart, who was one of the lynchpins of the Nineties transport reform movement, is now with Campaign for Better Transport.   He's much in demand and we're lucky to get him at short notice.  He will speak first with Anthony Powers repeating the case against the Southern Link Road that he made so cogently on Friday.   It will be no penance to attend; John is a very engaging speaker and I know it will be an informative and interesting evening.  

Shire Hall at 7.30pm on Wednesday 24th June.  

My view is that until the money has changed hands then there is a just a small chance that it could be stopped. If we are unlucky then this road could be completed around the same time as the next election and my guess would be that it could provide a big stick to throw at poor old Jess.

Bottom line ..I would like to see a truly Independent Parliamentary candidate pitched for Herefordshire South at next election agreeable to IOC and Independents.

Do our know if anyone has raised this folly with the Duchy of Cornwall yet? Charlie would love this story of a road to nowhere!

Hard to say. Hereford Transport Forum is rather top heavy with chiefs at the moment.  The ideal would be to get a proper committee established with a group of satellite supporters happy to turn out and be prepared to be force-fed in prison - only kidding.  The pen is ultimately mightier than the sword but it does mean a sh*t load of pens so get scribbling everyone and placard waving outside County Hall will undoubtedly have its place.   If the Cabinet think they can ignore us they will and, as we saw with the Edgar Street trees, they will do it with a mean smirk.  

Five representations now showing, including one from Hereford City Council.

A Wednesday is a much better evening to hold a meeting on, and a great, central location. I'm sure that this, along with a bit of publicity will generate much more interest.

However, Housing and Planning Minister Brandon Lewis insists that protection for the countryside is being maintained.

"I think we've got a system now that trusts local people to make those decisions, and the National Planning Policy Framework is actually very clear.

"Great weight should be given to conserving landscapes and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

"Planning permission should be refused for major developments in these except in exceptional circumstances and where it can be demonstrated that it is in the public interest."

File on 4 is on BBC Radio 4 on Tuesday 9 June at 20:00 BST. Listen online or download the programme podcast.

Help us put the brakes on unnecessary road-building

annimated-car-mirror-440-x-293.gif

A recent government announcement unveiled the biggest spending spree on our major road network since the 1970s, setting out a colossal £15 billion road-building programme over the next five years. Unless we can persuade the new Government to put the brakes on these plans, over a thousand miles of new and widened roads will butcher large sections of England’s countryside, including National Parks, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Green Belt.

There are alternatives to major road-building:

• Give people real travel choices
  • Plan better
  • Make transport more efficient
  • Improve road safety

Major road-building must become the option of last resort. There’s huge potential to reopen railway lines, expand local bus services, and construct safe routes for walking and cycling. New housing should be planned better to help minimise local traffic; car sharing should be promoted, whilst shared van use by delivery companies would ease the pressure on our roads. Investment in roads should focus on making careful improvements to our existing network: to make them safer and bring them up to higher environmental standards.

Help us win our arguments

We’ve made recent gains but the threat of major road-building presents an enormous challenge. As a result of our engagement with Ministers, CPRE has already secured: 

• England’s first ever Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy to raise the country’s low levels of cycling and walking
  • A £300m ring-fenced fund to reduce the environmental impact of our existing road network.

It’s easy to listen to the rich and powerful roads lobby. But we need to prepare for the smarter travel of the future, not return to the discredited transport of the past. With your help we can make sure the new Government has no option but to listen to us.

If the government needs to save money to reduce the national debt and deficit, why are they giving millions to Herefordshire Council to build roads that wont tackle congestion? As CPRE says, why don't Herefordshire Council give residents proper choice and actually invest in safe cycle and walking routes and better public transport as this would do alot less damage and help our young people stay fit and healthy. Cycling today in Hereford was a real pleasure and I was completely free of any traffic queues. Instead of getting hot and bothered in the car I could enjoy the sunshine, get some much needed exercise and hear the birds singing. Saved me at least 20 mins travelling time and I didn't have to pay for any fuel or parking! I know not everyone can do this but some people don't know until they give it a go.