Southern Link Road Preferred Route

megilleland

Dear Denise,

Thank you for your e-mail to Jesse Norman MP. Jesse has previously examined this issue and has written a short paper outline his argument, which you can download here.

In regards to the Powerhouse designation, this scheme has already seen significant investment in Hereford, with the development of the Old Market and the Rotherwas Enterprise Zone, and will support the foundation of a new technical University, leading to thousands of new jobs for Herefordshire. It will also see a significant investment in house-building, something sorely needed in the city.

I hope this answers your query.

Kind regards,

Archie Macleod

Caseworker for Jesse Norman

My very prompt reply from one of Jess' boys.  

I should have asked for the 2 Jehovah's who've just knocked on my door to pray for us - they were so polite so non pushy bless them.

Had a reply from our new Ward Councillor who "will discuss the matter with the relevant cabinet member, to determine the facts, and respond in due course".

Not surprisingly I have not received a reply from the new Ward Councillor for Stoney Streeet I do not think his communication skills are extensive.

Another ward left very exposed at a very crucial time.

CPRE do a lot of good work on planning issues.  They have a designated planning department and it is certainly worth having a look at their website.  Another very worthy cause run on donations and subscriptions.

Dear Denise,

Thank you for your e-mail to Jesse Norman MP. Jesse has previously examined this issue and has written a short paper outline his argument, which you can download here.

Kind regards,

Archie Macleod

Caseworker for Jesse Norman

I think Jesse Norman has got it right with his discussion document "Relieving Traffic Congestion in and around Hereford: Why East is Best" This has cropped up several times in Hereford Voice starting with this document in 2009 and his letter to the Local Enterprise Partnership in 2014.

Summary
This paper proposes a new approach to the vexed issue of a Hereford bypass.

This involves three elements:

* A link road between the A49 and the A465
* A second major road bridge across the River Wye at Rotherwas, with a connecting road up to the Ledbury Road but not across the Lugg Meadows;

and

*A short connecting road between the A49 North of the city to the Worcester Road.

The present paper analyses the respective merits of this option vs. a Western by-pass, and proposes an innovative approach to funding. It is thus a small but important part of an overall transport plan for the county. 

The present paper analyses the respective merits of this option vs. a Western by-pass, and proposes an innovative approach to funding. It is thus a small but important part of an overall transport plan for the county.

Its conclusion is that the proposed approach:

* Is far less expensive and more achievable than the Western by-pass
* Could be implemented more quickly, within a 4-5 year period
* Can be more easily managed, in discrete phases
* Addresses huge needs in both the county and Hereford City
* Delivers better reduction in traffic congestion, more cost-effectively
* Removes the need for more housing simply to fund the road, allowing more organic and flexible city development
* Preserves a high proportion of any developer contributions for use on new housing estates and in the city itself
* Is better for businesses at Rotherwas, and uses the existing Rotherwas link road to good effect;
and
* Retains other options as to future road development. 

His financial arguments appear sound adding that:

The eastern approach is £60-£80 million less expensive than a Western by-pass, without loss of quality. Less money spent means quicker build time; more control over the project; less drain on funding from developer contributions; and more money retained for other purposes.

However the Herefordshire Council can't see common sense and will take us down the road of perdition.

I guess the question remains......

Will Jesse back a campaign to stop the SLR.....or won't he???

I'm guessing from the wording of the rest of Archie's reply, that he won't.

But on this issue, I would so love to be proved wrong.

SOUTHERN LINK ROAD PLANNING APPLICATION

( From HCC website )

The planning application for the South Wye Transport Package - Southern Link Road has been submitted and will be considered and consulted upon by the council’s planning team.

As part of a package of measures the Southern Link Road will reduce congestion and delay in the South Wye area and enable access to developments such as the Hereford Enterprise Zone. The active travel elements of the South Wye Transport Package will reduce growth in emissions, reduce accidents and promote physical activity.

The new Southern Link Road is planned from the A49 to the A465 (with a link to B4349)

The planning application (reference number 151314) for the route will be available to view shortly on the council’s website where the way to make representation about the planning application is also set out.

It is anticipated that formal consultation will commence towards the end of next week, following validation and registration of the application

Be warned not everybody will agree with me on this but I will say it.  IOC need to tone down their stand on chicken houses at least for the time being, I stand on the fence on chicken houses but there is a risk that a large sector of the population will not support IOC on their battle against this road because of their stand on chicken houses.    

Good informed comment on HT article on this proposed road from Adrian Bridges. Nice to see these defeated ones get back up dust themselves down and fight another battle.

In hindsight some of these defeated ones could be more of a danger to HC than those that got elected especially the ones that have never been Councillors before - sorry off topic.  Can tell it's a wet day!

I haven't seen the article yet but hats off to Adrian Bridges.  He told me weeks before the election that this road was not right and he would do everything possible to stop it in its present form. Without plans for a river crossing and no business case planned he said the SLR was just a waste of money with no purpose whatsoever

Jeanharris, I have just read Adrian post, both Adrian and I  did not support this road (when we were both Belmont ward councillors) without a river crossing, unfortunately Phil Edwards(newly elected councillor for Newton Farm) does and he will probably go back on planning committee of this new council, He will pass the application because he wants a bus/cycle lane down the A465 including a boulevard of trees down the centre of the road including the destruction of the wood and the road going through your garden. So much for supporting the people that just elected him!!!

Sorry to hear that Glenda, I can only speak as I find. Phil Edwards was a PC when I worked with him. Maybe he has got a bit big since becoming a ward councillor. I am truly sorry you lost your seat and discusted that a fellow Independent stood against you. Bob Matthews tried to talk me into standing for the ward as he was of the opinion that I was Independent. I did not think it would be right to stand against another candidate of the same party. I am not an Independent and in any case all the other parties were well covered with good candidates - my loyalties lie there

He been a councillor for 16 or 18 years, I have known him for 12 of those he thinks he knows best, very self opinionated doesn't like anyone to have a different opinion to his. When the people of Newton Farm, Belmont and Haywood knows he pushing this road they will give him a hard time. He has obviously changed since you knew him as PC, was that in Clehonger or Belmont?

Hereford southern link road in a jam-just 24 hours after Herefordshire Council confirmed that a planning application for the route has been submitted.

The Hereford Transport Forum , has launched a petition calling on the council and "unelected" Marches Local Enterprise Partnership to stop the "deeply flawed" SC2 scheme. Full story in Hereford Times this morning.

15th May 2015 Hereford Times News by Bill Tanner, Senior Reporter

HEREFORD’S southern link road plan is in a jam – just 24 hours after Herefordshire Council confirmed that a planning application for the route had been submitted.

The Hereford Transport Forum (HTF) has launched a petition calling on the council and “unelected†Marches Local Enterprise Partnership to stop the “deeply flawed†SC2 scheme.

John Perkins, of HTF, said confirmation of the planning application has galvanized opposition to the £25 million route - between the A465 to the A49 and B4349 - beyond the council chamber.

“This scheme will do nothing to relieve traffic through Hereford as it is presented to the public - the participants are at odds with themselves.

“It is to unlock land, much of which is owned by the council, for the wholesale industrialisation of South Herefordshire with roads, industrial buildings and cheap housing.

“It fails to meet even the stated requirements of participants in the scheme, or the Highways Agency (HA) as alternative measures outlined by the agency have not been tried and were missed from the council presentations.

“Proper consultation has not taken place, to the extent that at least one retired couple we know of were the last to know that an add on to the scheme is due to go through the middle of their garden,†said Mr Perkins.

In April last year, the HA backed away from offering formal support to both the link road and a future western bypass.

Then, campaigners said this countered any official justification the council claims for pressing ahead with the projects.

As reported by the Hereford Times, the issue arose out of comments made by the then council leader councillor Tony Johnson in an interview relating to the Department of Transport (DoT) setting limits to traffic movement on the A49 and the “threat†that posed to development at Rotherwas without new roads .

Campaigners seized on what  they claimed was discrepancy between Cllr Johnson’s comments and the official line from the HA, which manages the road network for the DoT.

They said answers from the HA confirm the agency as not specifically requiring the western bypass to be built, not setting traffic movement limits on the A49 south of the city and  not conducting any transport modelling associated with the proposed A49 to A465 link road.

In response, the HA issued a statement to the Hereford Times saying: "This is a Herefordshire Council proposal and as such completely a matter for them at this time."

As reported by the Hereford Times yesterday (Thurs), the application for SC2 – a top priority for the majority group – to  Herefordshire Council planners.

Running between the A49 and  A465 - with a link to B4349 - SC2 is part of a package of measures proposed to address congestion and delay in South Wye while easing access to the Hereford Enterprise Zone at Rotherwas.

Formal consultation over the route is due to start next week following validation and registration of the application.

If all goes ahead, the application could be determined by September to be built by 2018.

In December, the previous minority Tory administration stood by SC2 as the favoured option for  the route despite concerns from the then overview and scrutiny committee that the selection process could have breached the council’s own rules.

The then cabinet rejected such concerns citing the “satisfaction†of council officers and outside consultants at the potential for the process to withstand procedural challenge.

A report to cabinet recommended renewed support for SC2 as appraised “appropriately and in accordance with†relevant national guidelines.

The same “satisfaction†applied to the financial case for the road after an assessment by the council’s chief finance officer.

Route appraisal and related consultation was estimated to have cost £505,000 over the past financial year - funded through the council’s revenue budget for the scheme.

Confirmation of SC2 as the preferred route enabled the council to capitalise the cost of preparing a planning application and the future costs of completing the detailed design, land and construction requirements.

It is anticipated that these capital costs associated with the scheme to remain on programme will amount to £600,000 found through the council’s transport funding, pending any draw down of government funding.

The council has already been warned that SC2 could end in court at judicial review.

But the previous cabinet put its faith in legal advice given to the council’s own project consultants Parsons Brinkerhoff  that said the process was sufficient.

There are no indications that a new cabinet will waver from this line.

As proposed, SC2  leaves the A49 to pass through the centre of Grafton Wood and continue westwards over Grafton Lane and Withy Brook before veering north-west to a proposed new roundabout near the A465/B4349 junction.

Much of the political opposition is against the route as opposed to the building of a road.

SC2 was recommended to cabinet on the basis of a route options appraisal by Parsons Brinkerhoff.

The resulting report found four of the initial eight options represented “feasible solutions†with the other four sifted out due to environmental considerations.

Public consultation took place in July / August where the results of the four route appraisal of these four routes were set out and feedback was invited.

Following consideration of  this feedback detailed appraisal of a number of alternative alignments took place.

Cabinet was told that the council’s own project team has reviewed the resulting report and is “satisfied†with its conclusions and the highest score being given to SC2.

SC2 also scored highly in the public consultation and legal advice suggest the appraisal process - to date - is sound enough to go up against objections.

The route is also a projected £1 million-£1.6 million cheaper than the other options.