Herefordshire History

Colin James

Herefordshire History Website

We are getting very excited about the official launch of the Herefordshire History website on Remembrance Day next week - the website is now available to preview at www.herefordshirehistory.org.uk, but please remember we will be continuing to add items and amend entries for a long time yet.

The picture below is from a collection of slides handed in to Hereford Library, and shows Commercial Square in Hereford during 1969. Great buses!

Hereford.jpg

Nothing wrong with the buses they got me where I needed to get to.  They were on time no traffic jams and only one bridge over the river.  So Mr Smarta.s from HC don't knock it it all worked quietly efficiently and cheaply!!

Oh and look Franklin Barnes building looks cared for well maintained and loved.  Well it was long before HC got their hands on it!! 

I just love this!

I particularly like the photos from the seventies, which show an extremely clean and tidy Hereford!

Also of interest to me, was a few photos of Woodys Angling shop on Whitecross Road. On another thread, I had mentioned how the huge advertising board had been removed to reveal a beautiful, old advertising sign, and there are a couple of photos on this site showing it in its original glory, both with what is now the launderette building, but previously a home and garden store, and before the building was there!

Will they be adding more images to this site?

Cycled over the new bridge and along the Greenway to Rotherwas Chapel (English Heritage) today for the public launch of a new book funded through the Heritage Lottery Fund.

‘DINEDOR AND ROTHERWAS EXPLORED’

Dinedor is a familiar backdrop to the city of Hereford, but the Munitions factory buildings below it shown on the front cover may be less so. Explore this book and you will discover more about, not just Dinedor Hill and the Munitions Factory, but also of the area's past from prehistoric times to the present day. In doing so you will be following a path that led a group of residents who came together in 1997 to explore their local history. They little realised then where it would lead.

This book covers significant aspects of local history from the Rotherwas Ribbon of four thousand years ago through changes in field patterns and woodland cover, with information on the Rotherwas estate and chapel of the Bodenham family, the church, school, local quarries and Dinedor Sports. The Dinedor based Caleb Patrol of the mysterious Auxiliary Units of the Second World War is covered together with the rather gruesome story of the removal of graves from Rotherwas Chapel. There are personal reminiscences, stories of farms and houses, of characters that have lived in the parish, mixed with extracts from the Woolhope Club Transactions down the years and poems and paintings that feature Dinedor, giving a picture of a very vibrant corner of Herefordshire.

Close to the railway bridge over which munitions workers in two world wars once cycled to work, the Millennium Brige and the new cycle path once again make it easier for city dwellers to explore this area. Dinedor Heritage Group hopes that this book will encourage them and others to do just that.

The book 193pp costs £12.99 for one copy or £10 each if two or more are ordered.

Would make a good Christmas present. A marvellous effort by the group to record an important area of history close to the city. Also an opportunity to sample local apple juice and cider. Nice to see Grid Knocker present - I don't think he cycled there!

@TWG & Dippy: Megi's right, the book is an absolute corker. I'm sure Waterstones will be piling 'em high on Monday morning. And for once Logaston has got the layout and images spot-on - some stunning old aerial shots, especially of the Rotherwas munitions factory.

I was in conversation with a lady at yesterday's gathering whose grannie was one of the Canary Girls. She told me that the enterprise zone's management has failed in its bid to get Lotto funding to shore up the 1918 (unlisted) Empty Shell Shed. With Captain Mainwaring (aka Tony Johnson) flinging money at new road building like it was going out of fashion, what chance is there of this sad old hulk being rescued from demolition, I wonder?

What a wonderful insight into old Hereford. Having come here to retire, I love poking and prodding around the old buildings, and looking at old photographs to try and find out where the buildings were. Thank you for the link. New places to explore now between pints of ale!